Heaven Sent O for Ferguson

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.sportsline.com/general/story/9508712/1

Ferguson says new offense is 'heaven-sent'
June 15, 2006
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Green Bay Five years ago the Green Bay Packers invested a second- round pick in wide receiver Robert Ferguson.

More than at any other time in Ferguson's career, the Packers need that investment to finally pay off.

With Javon Walker traded, Terrence Murphy released because of a neck condition and Donald Driver as the only other holdover from the receiving corps the Packers started 2005 with, Ferguson figures to have plenty of opportunity in 2006.

"I had a real candid talk with him when I first got here," said new offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski, "and I said, Things are going to be different. You just need to stay healthy and we'll get you the football.' "

Staying healthy hasn't been the easiest thing for Ferguson of late.

After a wasted rookie season in which Ferguson simply never caught on to the Packer offense, he showed some flashes in his second season and was near having a breakthrough season in 2003. He won a starting job and finished the season with 38 catches for 520 yards and four touchdowns.

Then he caught touchdown passes of 40 yards and 17 yards to give the Packers a 14-0 lead in a playoff game at Philadelphia. At that point, Ferguson was enjoying the present and anticipating nothing but a bright future.

Of course, that playoff game turned into the fourth-and-26th debacle.

Still, the future seemed bright for Ferguson. In the off-season before the 2004 season he signed a four-year contract extension.

Continued improvement in 2004 would have solidified Ferguson's career and the idea of steady improvement over a few more seasons could have meant maybe even star status.

Instead, the stars aligned against Ferguson.

The first star was Javon Walker. In 2004, it was Walker having the breakthrough season. With Walker beating out Ferguson for a starting job and Donald Driver also having a big season, there weren't too many balls left for Ferguson.

The second star was Jacksonville Jaguars safety Donovin Darius. In the Packers' 14th game, Darius clotheslined Ferguson on a deep route down the middle, knocking Ferguson out for the rest of that game, the final two regular-season games and the playoff loss against Minneapolis.

Instead of breaking through as a major contributor in 2004, Ferguson finished with just 24 catches for 367 yards, just one touchdown and a major ache in the head and neck.

And 2005 didn't get much better.

Opportunity knocked for Ferguson when Walker held out of all the off-season activities. Opportunity then tried to completely cave in the door when Walker suffered a season-ending knee injury in the season opener.

Ferguson never answered.

He had just one catch for 4 yards in the opener, then was thought to be responsible for a couple of interceptions in losses to Cleveland and Tampa Bay where he was outfought for the ball. Talk of those two plays overshadowed the fact that he caught a touchdown pass in each of those games.

A week later, quarterback Brett Favre delivered a perfect slant pass right into Ferguson's hands. And Carolina cornerback Ken Lucas took it right out of Ferguson's hands for another interception.

Ferguson started to come on, reeling in a 51-yard catch against New Orleans in the Packers' first victory. Two weeks later, he pulled in a 44-yarder going deep and across the field against the Minnesota Vikings.

Problem is, he came down wrong on his right leg and suffered a torn posterior cruciate ligament in his knee.

The rest of the season was pretty much a futile battle to get healthy and productive again.

Ferguson missed four games and didn't have more than 37 receiving yards in the five games he played.

Now, with two minicamps and half the team's organized team activities behind him, Ferguson is looking for more and better things.

First off, he's hoping to stay healthy.

"That's not something you can control," he said. "Injuries are going to happen. That's part of the game. Especially my injuries. Getting clotheslined, there's not anything you can do in the off- season to prepare for that. And the knee, coming down like that, there's nothing you can do to prepare for that. So if it happens, it happens. I'm not going to say it's not going to happen. I just hope it doesn't."

If Ferguson can stay on the field, he believes he's going to thrive in the new version of the West Coast offense of new coach Mike McCarthy.

"I think the opportunity is more so this year than it was last year being with new coaches and a new offense," Ferguson said. "I think our offense caters to my abilities and my talents. I've shown that throughout the opportunity sessions and the minicamps more than ever. So I think it's more the offense than Javon being gone."

When McCarthy got to Green Bay, one of the first things he talked about was the desire for bigger, more-physical receivers to go across the middle. Those words were put into action when the Packers didn't even make an offer to try to retain Antonio Chatman, their second-leading receiver last season.

But the Packers are looking for a big season out of Ferguson.

"Like I said, I think this offense is heaven-sent for me," Ferguson said. "I love it. I look forward to going out there and showing my talent in this offense. It's the type of things I do."

And those are the types of things McCarthy wants.

"He's a very physical football player," McCarthy said. "I think he's done an excellent job in the weight-training area. I think he's playing with strength and confidence and I think he's ready to take the next step up. Just a lot of positive things throughout the spring from Robert."

Sounds like we've heard this before...this time I hope it rings true.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't Darren Sharper say this stuff when Slowik came in? About how the defense suited him, and it had an emphasis on the safety making plays?

That didn't turn out well.

I hope Ferguson comes through though, but he hasn't been the same since that cheapshot clothesline. :(

Maybe this is the year for him.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like Ferguson. He is as tough as any guy on the field, plays with injuries that would sideline others, and plays wherever asked...particularly on ST where he gives his body up on EVERY unit. Poor use of a WR you paid to be a 2nd or 3rd. STs took too much of a toll, and the clothesline took an even greater toll.

This I know about the guy:

On more than one occasion I have seen him literally leave corners in his dust for big gains...he has more speed than many give him credit for.

He has good hands...once he gets his mitts on the ball, it is his. I consider last year an abberation. I think the offense was weak and did not cater to the talent on the roster.

He is tough as nails and plays hurt...never complains and does anything asked to help the team.

Look, he put his foot in his mouth last year, but he and most on offense were crippled by injuries and/or poor scheme.

He deserves EVERY chance to become a guy on this roster, but in reality, this is probably his last shot. If he does not produce, or better put, out-produce others in camp, he will be gone.

I wish the best for him and want him to succeed.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't........he's history, so why worry about him?
I hope Fergy makes all the nay sayers wrong this year. I don't know if it will happen, but i hope it does!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
cheesey said:
I didn't........he's history, so why worry about him?
I hope Fergy makes all the nay sayers wrong this year. I don't know if it will happen, but i hope it does!

Why? You have not seen Ferguson play have you? Err correction, you have not seen Ferguson do what he claims is playing, have you?

Darious ruined this guy BAD. He still sees cloudy and refused to FIGHT for the ball. Something Javon did very very well. Depsite Javon's childishness you'd be foolish to say Ferguson is on the same level as Walker.

Hell, to go a step down the crazy road, I'd take a one legged Javon over a two legged, hell FOUR legged Ferguson!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
you'd be foolish to say Ferguson is on the same level as Fergson.

Ferguson isn't close to being on the same level as Ferguson. Ferguson OWNS Ferguson.

:)

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
God i hope so. i don't know if i can take as many fergies as i did last season.

Well, some of us remember the "INT" return on MNF against Carolina from Packer FG range to Panther FG range.

I remember a guy laughing off a misrun route and aligator arms on MNF against the Ravens.

Some might remember last season Bob catching 27 passes for 366 yards for a cap # of about 2 million two hundred and forty five thousand dollars while Donald Lee had 33 catches for 294 yards 16 first downs for $380K(or one sixth the price).

In five years Bob has 111 catches for 1546 yards (less than Schroeder)
or a season average of 22 catches for 315 yards. Game average of 1.5 catches for 20 yards.

This year his cap # is $2.8 million or an average of almost 165K per game.

Keep you eye on him this year. Every catch is worth about $100K.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ferguson talks himself up every year and fails to deliever. He really reminds me of a Lion fans (lol I had to)

Anyways someone in the receiving core needs to step up and frankly I think it'll be Greg Jennings later on in the year to do so.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Ferguson until last year when he didn't fight for catches. Hopefully, he will be more aggressive this year – but if he's not, I hope he's gone.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always have hope...but past performance keeps popping up. A WR with his strength should be able to fight for the ball and win. So I'm only hopeful.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ferguson is the type of player that seems like he's on the cusp of breaking out so to speak. Every year it seems like there is talk about how #89 is going to have a big year.

I can't help but like Fergy because of his work ethic and special teams work, but the guy is going to have to produce and soon if he wants to stick on this team IMHO.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I could see this guy being gone..

Like others have said, he SEEMS to have the ablity to be a very good wr, but he never produces..

He is a NFL player, if he is STILL gun shy, he needs to find a plane ticket...

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:( Think Fergies competition this year will pass him up with better hands, speed and desire for the ball. He'll have to provide outstanding abilities once training camp begins if he wants another season in the NFL. Wouldn't discount a possible trade either.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ferguson doesn't catch the ball consistently. I always thought he had good hands because occasionally he'll make a spectacular catch, but then he'll turn around and drop one right in his hands. He doesn't run good routes either. How many times have you seen Favre motion to him that he went the wrong way. If your QB doesn't trust that you're going to be where you're supposed to be, you're not going to get the ball. That's kind of how Walker became Favre's "go to" guy. He ran good routes and caught the ball. If Walker had been more mature and understood the financial part of the game better and if he had any kind of parental or agent guidance, he'd still be here. As for Ferguson, he is what he is. I doubt that he can be a number one, two or three receiver.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:wink: That's why I doubt he'll make the cut this year. Too many competent WR's in camp ready to outshine Fergie. Even the rookie group has a couple of possibilities waiting to become a go to type of receiver. Think the coaching staff as well are pretty wary of Fergie now and will be looking at many of the other WR's in camp a lot more closely now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts