Heatwave

• Thread starter I asked LT to delete my acct
  • Start date

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Our deer camp has always had the rule the first time someone has alcohol, ALL the guns get put away. Cousin's husband, first time with us, was firmly told so when he wanted to crack one with lunch. First time we ever had to state it aloud.

At least you guys remembered to bring the guns to deer camp. ;) There were always stories about hunters getting "up nort" discovering they left the rifles at home. Sometimes by design.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least you guys remembered to bring the guns to deer camp. ;) There were always stories about hunters getting "up nort" discovering they left the rifles at home. Sometimes by design.
one year I was walking a field back to my mom and my dad was walking out of a stand of trees to meet by her as well and then we'd all walk back together for some hot chocolate. well 3 deer run out and stop 15-25 feet from my mom and one is a huge 10pt.

She has her gun up and it's just standing there, and she's just standing there with her gun up, and he's just standing there still, and i'm frozen 40 yards away in the middle of a cut corn field trying not to move because I can't shoot. My mom is right next to it.

Finally it takes off after about 15 seconds running straight away from me, so still my mom is between us. and she turns and yells, "I forgot to load my gun"

I tried running to get up to her but when I did he jumped into the standing corn and was gone. at least she remembered her gun, and no, we don't drink with guns around

Reaction score
Yup. We don't allow booze at deer camp. Sure we bring extra heroine but no alcohol.
Interesting you should say that.
You reminded me that in the Vietnam War our government issued various drugs and weapons simultaneously. Just shy of 1/3 of the US armed forces were using Cocaine or Heroin. Another 1/3 used LSD, Mescaline and Mushrooms. Another large group used various forms of Amphetamines. Many people are not aware of that but it became the source of widespread usage after the War. I’m not sure what that fact has to do with staying cool other than There’s nothing “cool” about Alcohol and it’s hotter than a Vietnam jungle out there right now!

Alcohol specifically is THE most widely abused and dangerous Drug of all it kills 2X the number of people as the current Opioid epidemic (95.5K vs 50K annual). All overdoses together don’t come close to matching alcohol related deaths.

On a positive note, let’s hope our Offense gets as red hot as the hood of my truck

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting you should say that. In the Vietnam War our government issued various drugs and weapons simultaneously. Roughly 1/3 of the US armed forces were on Cocaine and Heroin. Another 1/3 used LSD, Mescaline and Mushrooms.
Really? I have never heard that and find it hard to believe. From guys I know who were there talked a lot about the marijuana. Readily available from the locals and really cheap. There was the thought that the VC were cultivating and supplying to reduce the fighting effectiveness of our troops. Probably helped their cause.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't use any drugs, including weed, during my visit to Nam. I know a lot of guys were into pot, but beyond that, I don't think anyone in our unit was doing it. But, I suppose it depends on which units, and where you were located.

I had no problem passing the lie detector test when I became a cop. A lot of guys did, I suppose this may have been one of the areas that knocked them out of the race for jobs.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorta like when the winds whip up the day after we had a few inches of fluffy snow.
It reminds me of a sandstorm we ran into back 51 years ago, as we were crossing the Great Salt Lake area West of Salt Lake City. We were headed West, on I-80. and it was so intense that I had to pull to the side of the road for a period of time, because I couldn't see the road.

We could taste salt for two days afterwards. It's not a fun thing to go through.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It reminds me of a sandstorm we ran into back 51 years ago, as we were crossing the Great Salt Lake area West of Salt Lake City. We were headed West, on I-80. and it was so intense that I had to pull to the side of the road for a period of time, because I couldn't see the road.

We could taste salt for two days afterwards. It's not a fun thing to go through.
My car was covered in so much dust it was like snow

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My car was covered in so much dust it was like snow
It will even take the paint off. I had a couple of spots where it wore down to the undercoating because we were driving in it for a while. People would never understand until they experienced it. I can just imagine being at home and seeing that cloud of dust coming at you over the horizon. I have COPD, so it would scare the bejeebers out of me now.

We get some dust in the air down here in the RGV in Texas, but nothing like those things. Here, it's an ongoing thing, because we have higher winds than normal. We leave, to go North, and if we're gone more than a couple of weeks, the golf cart has to be washed before we can even sit on it. It's covered in dirt/dust, even though it's under our car port.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sounds like one of those old TV episodes from Death Valley Days.