Hawk Signed (in principle)!!!!!!

D

Dan115

The Green Bay Packers have agreed in principle to a six-year, $37.5 million contract with A.J. Hawk, the fifth overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft.

The former Ohio State linebacker hopes to get the language of the contract done by Saturday morning so that he can practice. Terms of his guarantees haven't been finalized. Those will be done Friday night and Saturday morning.

Talks between the Packers and Hawk's agent, Mike McCartney, heated up Thursday afternoon when the Jets completed a similar deal with D'Brickashaw Ferguson, the fourth pick in the draft. The Packers reported to camp Friday.

OP
OP

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
technically it's "in principle" but i'd guess it'll be totally official soon!!

good to know you love me in a sisterly way since i'm OLD enuf to be your mother - in principle, of course!! :)

Reaction score
What is up with all these Mike's? And "McCartney"? Is it just me or do you think McCarthy was posing as Hawks agent, making sure he would be in on time? Gotta admit, that man may be an O guru, but he needs some help in the disguise department.

Reaction score
all about da packers said:
4packgirl said:
technically it's "in principle" but i'd guess it'll be totally official soon!!

good to know you love me in a sisterly way since i'm OLD enuf to be your mother - in principle, of course!! :)

lol, yup, I love the gals my age, and have a ton of respect for those who are older (or in you case, ancient :wink: ) :lol: Figure you have helped me enough, like a big sis would. :)

None-the-less, I think this is cause enough for a party! Erm, Ryan's house anyone? :D

OP
OP

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
me, ancient?? depack - maybe. but me?? nah!!

now i'm heading to the kitchen to get a wine cooler & celebrate what will soon be the crucial signing of hawk!! yippee!!!!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 1/60728076

Packers sign Hawk to 6-year, $36M deal

By Pete Dougherty
[email protected]

Barring an unforeseen snag, linebacker A.J. Hawk -- the Green Bay Packers' first-round draft pick -- should be signed and ready to practice Saturday on the second day of training camp

Hawk's agent, Mike McCartney, said Friday his client has agreed in principle to a six-year, $36 million deal, though the sides are working out details. The player picked ahead of Hawk, left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, signed a six-year, $37.5 million deal with the New York Jets that included about $17.5 million in guarantees.

"We're hoping to wrap it up tonight," McCartney said. "A.J.'s ecstatic."

Hawk's contract includes guaranteed money of about $16 million. The guarantees consist of a 2006 roster bonus of $1.91 million, a 2007 option bonus of $11,856,250 and portions of his base salaries.

Hawk also has a minimum play-time incentive that will increase the value of the deal substantially and get it in the $36 million range. If he plays in 35 percent of the defensive snaps this year, or if he fails to do that but plays in 45 percent in any subsequent year, his base salaries for all remaining years increase. If he reaches that incentive this year, which is a given barring serious injury, the value of the deal increases from $17.6 million over the first five years to $26 million, and in the sixth year he'll make either $10 million or the franchise tender for linebackers, whichever is higher. That sixth-year salary will be guaranteed if he's on the roster on the first day of the league year, which usually is in early March.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2532913

The Green Bay Packers have agreed in principle to a six-year, $37.5 million contract with A.J. Hawk, the fifth overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft.

The former Ohio State linebacker hopes to get the language of the contract done by Saturday morning so that he can practice. Terms of his guarantees haven't been finalized. Those will be done Friday night and Saturday morning.

Talks between the Packers and Hawk's agent, Mike McCartney, heated up Thursday afternoon when the Jets completed a similar deal with D'Brickashaw Ferguson, the fourth pick in the draft. The Packers reported to camp Friday.

All of the Packers' draft choices now have contract agreements.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hodge has signed as well according to KFFL. All rookies are now accounted for. Sweet.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I logged in this evening specifically hoping to read the words "Hawk signed," so thanks to 4packgirl for the good news, and to the others for providing some details. With picks this high, it is no guarantee that they will sign in time for the season. (Remember what Bryant McKinnie did to the Vikings a few years ago. He held out till November, and I think he was a #6 overall pick.)

I hope it is true that Hodge has signed as well. We have players who want to play! That's always a good start.

OP
OP

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i couldn't BELIEVE it when i got on the site & nobody had posted it yet!! good news on hodge as well!!!

btw, i heard that Bush is "officially" holding out in N.O.!! not cool if it's really true. i guess he wants more dinero than williams got. arrrgh!!!

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.957176+-
4packgirl said:
i couldn't BELIEVE it when i got on the site & nobody had posted it yet!! good news on hodge as well!!!

btw, i heard that Bush is "officially" holding out in N.O.!! not cool if it's really true. i guess he wants more dinero than williams got. arrrgh!!!

officially holding out just means he missed a practice so he officially became a holdout. I believe AJ Hawk is considered "officially a holdout" because he missed tonights practice

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It isn't really accurate to call them holdouts. A holdout is when a player has a contract already but refuses to play until a new contract is agreed to. Saying rookies are holding out is kind of like saying a guy that is entering free agency is holding out. I mean it is obviously different in that the team that drafts the player has exclusive rights, but there is nothing technically wrong with waiting to get the right contract, although I do think most players realize that missing significant amounts of training camps is going to hurt them more, see Cedric Benson.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can someone clue me in as to why Hawk was paid so little this year(comparatively speaking) and $10mil NEXT year with a bonus. Usually it's the other way around. Must be a good reason. At first glance it would appear to be a blockbuster for a LB but as another poster stated.."..it will look cheap in a couple of years." Hawk has one GOOD agent, IMO. But don't get me wrong...I love having Hawk as a Packer.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:
Can someone clue me in as to why Hawk was paid so little this year(comparatively speaking) and $10mil NEXT year with a bonus. Usually it's the other way around. Must be a good reason. At first glance it would appear to be a blockbuster for a LB but as another poster stated.."..it will look cheap in a couple of years." Hawk has one GOOD agent, IMO. But don't get me wrong...I love having Hawk as a Packer.

Maybe because of allotted cap space? I dunno.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing that bothers me.........will this tick of Barnett now? Will he cry like Harris cause "someone on the team is making MORE then me! WHAHHHH!!!" I saw Barnett on TV a few nights ago, and it LOOKED like he won't take that road. But i worry about it none the less.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least right now Hawk looks like a man of character. But I've seen this time and again, a player signs a great contract and two later a lesser player makes more money and then they hold out and want more. That's the real problem with the long term contracts, they don't mean anything. If you doubt my words, look at McKenzie, Walker, Harris, and the list goes on. But I think this Hawk kid is going to be an amazing player. I hope he's everything and more that Mario Williams would have been. It's a great sign and I'm hoping that Hawk is going to become the next Nitchke.

Members online

Latest posts