Green Bay mayor to ask council to reconsider Barnett’s liquo

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
The other thread is three pages long and way off topic. It'd be silly to post this there.
By Kelly mcBride
[email protected]

Green Bay Mayor Jim Schmitt will ask the City Council to rescind its decision not to renew the liquor license for FiveSix Ultra Lounge, the downtown club owned by Green Bay Packers player Nick Barnett.

Schmitt will hold a news conference at 3 p.m. to request the action, said his assistant, Chad Weininger. A controversy that started with questions of fairness regarding FiveSix’s liquor license renewal boiled over this week after Barnett received a written warning for jaywalking — even though members of the local news media who were with him at the time weren’t similarly warned.

The jaywalking incident has generated national attention, including interest from ESPN radio and other outlets. With questions of possible racism surrounding both the liquor license nonrenewal and the jaywalking, the attention isn’t good for Green Bay, City Council President Chad Fradette said today.

“This is a black eye for the city,â€

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Re: Green Bay mayor to ask council to reconsider Barnett’s l

NDPackerFan said:
Some new stuff in regards to Barnett and his club. Doesn't sound very encouraging that he's going to want to remain in GB after all this crap....

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/new ... 0200.shtml

Yea, I don't if I'd want to stay in a town that I felt was singling me out :( Atleast maybe Hodge can take his place??

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I hope so if need be...still think there's room for both Hodge and Barnett on the field at the same time though.

I think the LB corps with Hawk, Hodge, and Barnett would make it one of the NFL's best in a few years...

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Green Bay mayor to ask council to reconsider Barnett’s

Every town-city, has problem bars, thats the nature of the beast!
When you start singling out the owner for such minor stuff as "jaywalking",
then I think the powers that be have a problem beyond what ever is happening at the bar.
To me this is a very disturbing turn of events in Green Bay.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Re: Green Bay mayor to ask council to reconsider Barnett’s

Barnett’s FiveSix club hit by graffiti

Green Bay police are searching for an unknown person or persons who spray painted a racial slur and several swastikas on the west wall of the FiveSix Ultra Lounge in downtown Green Bay early Friday morning.

At 5:40 a.m., a passing motorist telephoned the police to let them know that the club, 405 W. Walnut St., had been defaced on the back wall facing an alley, Lt. Andy Lewis said.

Police were unable to contact the club’s owner — Green Bay Packers linebacker Nick Barnett — and city crews painted over the vandalized portion of the wall, Lewis said.

Graffiti, a common problem in the downtown area, is best combated when the markings are removed or covered up immediately, Lewis said.

The incident comes less than a day after the Green Bay Mayor Jim Schmitt asked the City Council to reconsider its decision to deny Barnett a liquor license at the FiveSix club. Earlier this week, Barnett also received a warning for jaywalking, which was later rescinded by the police after Chief Craig Van Schyndle called the citation a “mistake.â€

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On another forum, someone is claiming that this is not a race issue, and I was taken to task because I firmly believe that it is. Someone had mentioned that if Nick was white this wouldn't have happened. I said that Nick is half white and half black, and all he double toothpicks broke out. As I have probably said before, I have been on two cruises with Nick, and you couldn't find a nicer guy--excluding my husband of course. I certainly hope this doesn't turn Nick off of Green Bay so that he won't come back.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
carol k said:
On another forum, someone is claiming that this is not a race issue, and I was taken to task because I firmly believe that it is. Someone had mentioned that if Nick was white this wouldn't have happened. I said that Nick is half white and half black, and all he double toothpicks broke out. As I have probably said before, I have been on two cruises with Nick, and you couldn't find a nicer guy--excluding my husband of course. I certainly hope this doesn't turn Nick off of Green Bay so that he won't come back.

hang in there, carol k!! the difference between YOU & those other fans (me included) is that we have never actually met the guy. you spent time with him & felt strongly that he's a good guy - stick to your guns & give 'em h e l l right back, if you need to!

i am far removed from the situation & don't feel it would be right for me to comment on it. too bad more people don't feel the same way, huh? :wink:

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm also far removed from the situation but I did have a situation where I met Nick Barnett. He came to North Dakota this last spring because a little girl won the "bring an NFL player to school" contest.

He came to Bismarck and brought 500 jerseys with him...I knew he was coming so I got to go and see him. He was a class act the whole time and gave me the impression that he's a top notch guy on and off the field.

Take it for what it's worth, I guess.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See what a great person he is!! Imagine going to ND and bringing not one but 500 jerseys with him. Way to go Nick!!!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
carol k said:
See what a great person he is!! Imagine going to ND and bringing not one but 500 jerseys with him. Way to go Nick!!!

Yeah, it was one jersey per person in our state! just kidding :D

vegOmatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
carol k said:

Yet no one considers the fact that if Nick were white there is a good probablility the liquor license would still have been revoked.

Maybe the real problem is Nick is being treated just like anyone else.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
What would you guys be saying about race if you knew the owner of HipCats was black? Would you still be harping racism then? HipCats is a night club of sorts right accross the street from the cop shop and has very similar problems, yet they had their license renewed.
The difference, the owner is not a celeb.

Nick Barnett is a celeb, that's why he's targeted. Everyone wants to play the race card. People think Nick is spoiled and will get his way because he is RICH he is a PACKER ... everyone would rather place blame on racism. It's disgusting.

I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, I know unfortunately it does, perhaps it plays a small role in this BS with Nick, but its not anywhere near his celeb status that is causing this stupid drama for him and his club.

I have not yet met Nick, he sounds like a great guy, I hope to meet him sometime and learn the same as others have. But this is not all about race. Those who think it is need to dig deeper for information and learn thats not the only factor and surely is not the largest factor in the stupidity of the community's decision to nullify his license renewal.

vegOmatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Nick Barnett is a celeb, that's why he's targeted.

I would add if that were the case (1) Club Five-Six never would have been allowed to open in the first place and (2) Club Five-Six would have been shut down and not just have the liquor license revoked.

Maybe if people read the police reports of incidents related to the club it would make more sense as to what is really going on.