Going on Record

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I absolutely do not believe that we should go after Lynch with our 16th pick.

Not because he is not a good player. I am sure he is.

I personally do not see why we would look at RB that early now that we are committed to the zone blocking system.

Denver hasn't gone that low for a RB.

Atlanta hasn't either.

Unless we are in a special position to nail down a Bush type back that comes along rarely I see it as a waste.

FIRST THREE ROUNDS:

1) S. Rice- He will not be a reach here by the end of the combines. I mean c'mon, where do you think he would be rated if there were a "U" in front of the SC like Jarrett gets to ride to the NFL.

2) B. Leonard- We instantly add 15 plays to the playbook that teams will have a very hard time defending.

3) B. Mebane- You may have not heard of him yet but my only concern is he gets to much notice at the combines and is gone by now.

The "fresh legs" approach with a young back/old back sharing the load has become very popular.

Other than those "special" RB's like Bush or Tomlinson players selected in the 2nd and 3rd rounds have produced very nicely and close to the level of higher picks.

We do not have that big, physical, leaping, WR like a Wayne from Indy and we need one of those more than Lynch. Rb's production levels tend to bunch together after the top 5 or so.

Lynch isn't a top 5 RB. Forget him.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sidney Rice was not as good as Jarrett in college, and that has nothing to do with the name on the jersey. Who cares if Rice runs a 4.5 and Jarrett runs a 4.6. Watch some tape and tell me who's better.

Brian Leonard is an opposite end of the spectrum pick. You say Rice over Jarrett because of what they'll do in the combine, yet Leonard isn't expected to put up freakish combine numbers, he's a classic "if you can play, you can play" pick.

As you can see, I'm not a huge fan of the workout warriors.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I am saying is Jarrett has benefited greatly from the USC program to a greater degree than wha Rice got out of SC.

The thing the combine does is puts these guys on an even playing field in this evaluation process. Obviously important since there is nothing equal about the type of offense or the players surrounding a given player in college.

I have watched tape. What I don't like is Jarrett beats guys in college in ways he can't in the pros. He's not physical enough to win against CB's in the NFL. As I said he will win a few jump balls. That's not worth a #16.

There's a huge difference between big WR's that can go across the middle like a Wayne from Indy and those that aren't physical enough for that.

I could be safe here but prefer to go with my gut and predict Rice will move up beyond Jarrett before draft day. He's faster, more physical, and better off the break and when going head to head at the combine this will come out. His higher upside will surface by then.

Besides, by April speed RULES and the 40 time is HUGE. It always is. And that is where Jarrett will fall.

PS I like Gonzalez as well and would be alright with forgoing both the above if we happened to nab him in the second. The problem is not knowing when he might go.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally do not see why we would look at RB that early now that we are committed to the zone blocking system.

Denver hasn't gone that low for a RB.

Atlanta hasn't either.

FIRST THREE ROUNDS:

1) S. Rice- He will not be a reach here by the end of the combines. I mean c'mon, where do you think he would be rated if there were a "U" in front of the SC like Jarrett gets to ride to the NFL.

2) B. Leonard- We instantly add 15 plays to the playbook that teams will have a very hard time defending.

3) B. Mebane- You may have not heard of him yet but my only concern is he gets to much notice at the combines and is gone by now.

Is there an echo in this forum?????

Seriously thank you for preaching what i've been preaching for as ever many drafts as i've been on here, and you make a great point with the other ZB teams not going for a running back high as well, and I agree also that if Leonard is there at 46 (wherever we pick 2nd round...?) take him, we're missing what willie brought now that he is in decline and adding more positions that can threaten offensively makes this team so much better, and Leonard also could finally be the short yardage back we really don't have. If not Leonard, I'll take a look at Tony Hunt at that pick...

At #16 I'm split between Dwayne Bowe and Reggie Nelson, Bowe reminds me of Chad Johnson because he's physical but also quick, but on the other hand putting a defensive playmaker, Nelson, in place of Marqand Manuel who really didn't contribute, that adds somethign right there

Members online

Latest posts