Going a New Direction and Building for the Future

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a wonderful offseason the Packers are having!!

Could the team improvement have been accomplished by changing one of the coordinators and a couple of assistants rather than the new direction? I thought so. Ted Thompson did not.

"Going in a new direction" and "building for the future."

With the firing of the head coach and the new one bringing in his coordinators and his/their assistants, the new direction will be in place once all the assistants are hired. A new playbook for the new season. Coach McCarthy was part of the rebuilding of the 49'ers who doubled their win total in 2005 over 2004.

Building for the future is more uncertain now. The players for the new system will have to be acquired and those who cannot adapt or are not well suited will be disposed. It can take awhile. The Packers have until September to finalize that for this year.

Old favorite players will disappear as there is plenty of cap room to cut anybody on the team who does not go along with the program.

Free agency? Not much there with guys other teams can't sign. You have to outbid the competition. It has only limited uses. The new GM believes in building through the draft. With only 6 picks this year and normally 7, it can take several year to fill a roster of 53.

There used to be some players that were fan favorites. I wish I new which players were going to be retained. It would be nice to know players you can cheer for. It all depends on the new coaching staff. Every one of the Packer players could be gone. The only guy I think I know will be in uniform for the Packers this fall will be Nick Collins.

Without knowing the players who will participate in the new direction it is difficult to assess how good the team is compared to others. Just like the coaches I thought only a few upgrades were needed. Ted thinks differently. He promised more roster turnover than the 40% of 2005.

I'll need to get used to the new numbers and players. Can't be excited about the prospects for 2006 until then.

Go Packers whoever you are.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:roll: yeah he shoulda kept rossley and don baker, as well as cledius hunt, and joey thomas.

and yeah, lets judge him on this upcoming FA period...even though it hasnt even begun yet. that makes sense. :roll:

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As someone said..

Hey Ted...it's the "Green Bay Packers..."

NOT the "Green Bay Ted Thompsons".....

-jackazz...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
one day people want sherman gone, then they complain about the guy he replaces, when he he hasnt even had a chance to prove himself, or even get a staff. I love it

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you want Rossley, where you know what you're going to get (nothing, except predictability)

or

A guy whose expertise is the run game,TE, and offensive line to work with a head coach who has a lot of knowledge in the passing game?

Cuz we have a young run game(if ahman leaves) an offensive line in SHAMBLES, and a TE who hasnt really done anything(at least not to a lot of peoples expectations. I am sorry, but being a red zone throat is a gimick...we know hes better than that)

Ill take the new guy...sorry...but thats me

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I called for Sherman's firing about midseason and got my wish. I can't say I regret that decision by TT. In addition, I am glad to see Rossely gone too. He sucked, IMHO, and should have been gone long ago.

I am, however, quite disturbed by Jim Bates leaving.

I thought that Bates was a lock for the HC job. He completely turned the D around, and I feel would have done wonders for the offense as well.

Now I look at what we have:

One of the youngest teams in the league with most of our remaining veterans up for FA this year. Somehow, I have a feeling we won't be seeing many familiar faces next season. I can understand cutting some aging veterans to save cap room, however I don't believe cutting the majority of veteran talent off a team, and try to make up for it with rookies on draft day. Rookies without proven leadership will never take you to the playoffs, nevermind the Super Bowl. Although we still have Favre for now, I have a funny feeling he won't want to end his career trying to marshall the mess Sherman and Thompson have created for 2006.

I can't say I am too impressed with what TT has done so far.

Understand, this is only my opinion, and regardless of how the Pack makes out in the offseason, I will still be there to cheer them on next fall.

I just really hope I am wrong....

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's way too early to get our shorts in a bind. Wait and see how things shake out with our free agents, Brett, the draft, our injured players returning, and free agency. There's A LOT that will happen before the first pre season game. Good and bad. But let's wait and see what kind of team we have to to into "battle" with. Next year will tell much more as far as the direction we are heading. The "brass" keeps talking about "the direction their heading" but they won't tell us what that is, so we'll just have to wait and see.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WOW......TT is off limits to trom. Personally, I'm supporting TT now but it's getting difficult. Trom's unconditional support reminds me of mine for Sherman.

"Blind faith in your leader....or in anything, will get you killed"....Bruce Springsteen.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
:roll: yeah he shoulda kept rossley and don baker, as well as cledius hunt, and joey thomas.

and yeah, lets judge him on this upcoming FA period...even though it hasnt even begun yet. that makes sense. :roll:

Ya forgot about bringing back Joe Johnson --- :D

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want to know who will be in uniform for the Packers this fall.

Any of the players could be gone in this atmosphere including almost all starters(exception perhaps is Nick Collins).

We likely will not know until well into training camp the identities of Packers players.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
WOW......TT is off limits to trom. Personally, I'm supporting TT now but it's getting difficult. Trom's unconditional support reminds me of mine for Sherman.

"Blind faith in your leader....or in anything, will get you killed"....Bruce Springsteen.

Wow! De Pack..... A Bruce Sprinsteen analogy from a song to the reason we Packer fans should not have faith in TT. I recon Bruce Springsteen should be the new hire as the D.C. That Sir would solve a few of your challenges.

Bruce Sprigsteen should have wrote a song based on the true meaning of faith and not blind faith.... Bruce should have wrote a song based on the words of Roosevelt; "The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Let us move forward with strong and active faith. "

I personally have a challenge with quoting anything that Bruce wrote in a song... Becuase those songs are always about depression and almost always about how bad things are.

Listen to the music and the music becomes part of you, then all of you, then you as a whole. However, that is De Pack... That is what we love about you.... That is what makes you who you are.

TROM, I love your post. I admire your post. and please fret not over De Pack's response. Most of us here (Including me.) love De Pack's insight into this forum.

But... You Trom have the right Idea, the right mindset, and the right attitude about change.

This is a great thing. this wholesale change in direction and leadership for the Packers as a team. T.T. has taken control, and I admire him for it... after all he is responsible for his own success and failure and he has been put into that position by this great Packer organization.

Any man who takes complete control over his success or failure has my blessings. He is going to do it his way, and that is his right to do it that way, for he shall be judged by his performance.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
DePack said:

Wow! De Pack..... A Bruce Sprinsteen analogy from a song to the reason we Packer fans should not have faith in TT. I recon Bruce Springsteen should be the new hire as the D.C. That Sir would solve a few of your challenges.

Bruce Sprigsteen should have wrote a song based on the true meaning of faith and not blind faith.... Bruce should have wrote a song based on the words of Roosevelt; "The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Let us move forward with strong and active faith. "

I personally have a challenge with quoting anything that Bruce wrote in a song... Becuase those songs are always about depression and almost always about how bad things are.

Listen to the music and the music becomes part of you, then all of you, then you as a whole. However, that is De Pack... That is what we love about you.... That is what makes you who you are.

TROM, I love your post. I admire your post. and please fret not over De Pack's response. Most of us here (Including me.) love De Pack's insight into this forum.

But... You Trom have the right Idea, the right mindset, and the right attitude about change.

This is a great thing. this wholesale change in direction and leadership for the Packers as a team. T.T. has taken control, and I admire him for it... after all he is responsible for his own success and failure and he has been put into that position by this great Packer organization.

Any man who takes complete control over his success or failure has my blessings. He is going to do it his way, and that is his right to do it that way, for he shall be judged by his performance.

Bruce Sprigsteen is the most over rated person in the history of rock music.
Boring songs about New Jersey backed up by goofy carnival music.
:puke:

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
DePack said:

Actually it is not in a song. Just one of his rants between songs at a live concert.

Phil..."Springsteen is the most overrated person in the history of rock"?

SO you're saying that Bruce Springsteen is the Rex Grossman of Rock?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boy...the fans are RESTLESS! The draft better get here soon or some of you folks are gonna burst.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Who do you like..Phil?

Chicago??

Bwwaaaahhh haaaa haaaaa haaaaaa.....

(25 or 64 to nothin'...put up by da' Bears...)

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rex Grossman isn't even overrated, he just sucks, and everybody except the Bears knows it. I even heard that people within the Bears organisation said Grossman was like Brett Favre, I haven't seen any of that yet lol!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Change is scary, and I am still on the fence about Thompson. But things may settle down once the coaching staff gets filled out, the Favre question is resolved one way or another, and especially after the draft. The 2005 draft was Thompson's best moment so far, although of course it's still too early to tell if it will turn out to be a good draft.

I'm not convinced that Thompson is going to shun free agency as much as he suggests. He does not like to reveal his intentions, and it's possible that he could surprise us with a big free agent signing, probably not this year, but maybe a year or two down the road, when he feels the team is close to being a contender.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
Rex Grossman isn't even overrated, he just sucks, and everybody except the Bears knows it. I even heard that people within the Bears organisation said Grossman was like Brett Favre, I haven't seen any of that yet lol!

Hahahahaaaaa.... Mr. Rodgers neighborhood is right around the corner Packer fans. Hahahahahaaaaaa.a......... :D

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1)Some of you sound like the Packers PR department.
2)Raider Pride: Al Davis changes coaches as often as his underwear and it has done him wonders.
3)Don't count your chickens until they hatch. The way most of you sound, it appears you think the team will be Super Bowl bound next year.

Posted below is a message from a guy named SavePackers from one of the fire Ted Thompson boards that have popped up. It's rather refreshing to read that there's some people who don't swallow the company line hook-line-and sinker. That's quite a reversal for some of you.
----
There are so many things that have been wrong in the last year, it is difficult to decide. Most of the other posters have hit on many of the reasons. I will probably repeat some of the same things already listed:
1. The extension of Sherman's contract for 2 years only to disregard it a few months later. This is $6M dollars out the window. It also was an act that showed that TT definitely doesn't have a good grip on what he wants.
2. Firing Sherman. you do not throw away a coach that has a winning record after only 1 bad season. The Packer Organization needs to learn from the Steelers and the Broncos.
3. Replacing Sherman with a HC and assistants that have no record of winning or performance. I don't want our GM doing such blatent gambling with our team. If his gamble is wrong, he walks off into the sunset with lots of money, and, we are left with a team and franchise in shambles.
4. The complete lack of respect for Favre in his press conferences, and, through his actions. As a Packer fan, as a WI native, I take that very personally. Favre has brought in millions & millions of dollars of revenue, and, put GB in the spotlight for too long to EVER be treated like that. I don't know if I can ever forgive him for that.
5. Total disregard for the fans. TT has had very little interaction with the fans & through the media. Harlan may be his boss, but, the fans are the foundation behind Harlan. And, a few hours after hearing thousands of fans chant "one more year", he deliberately minimizes Favre to the fans. Such total arrogance in a Packer GM is very unappealing.
6. Not TRYING to sign Wahle or Rivera or Sharper. I understand that there are times when players need to be released due to contract or money issues. However, it is totally inexcusable to not even try to keep our players BEFORE they hit the market. By letting them receive these offers, TT is then allowed to use the high offers as his excuse. This is a total lack of respect for the players as well. It sends a message to current and future players, "WE DON'T CARE IF WE LOSE YOU. BYE-BYE".
7. Replacing injured players with NFL Europe talent. Again, I felt that TT was using this season as a prolonged preseason to test players. Again, I say, let TT do his gambling on someone else's team.
8. Not replacing the pro-bowl talent players lost to FA with quality draft picks or FA's. This again was a total lack of regard for the players, the Packer fans, Sherman, and, Favre.
9. Not believing in the draft. This can only be for 1 or 2 reasons: 1. TT is a coward that is afraid of signing a known player to a high dollar contract; or, 2. TT is an ego-maniac that has a dream of building an entire team with his own finds. Either of these possibilities are very scary qualities in a GM.
10. Letting Bates get away, and, the way that he treated Jim Bates by giving him a "token" interview. This is another case of lack of respect.
11. Not being able to sell the Packers and the organization to Koren Robinson even though he offered him more money than the Vikings did. To me this is very frightening in light of the fact that Robinson was drafted by TT in Seattle. If he can't sell the Packers to a FA of Robinson's stature, how would he ever be able to convince someone of real stature to come to GB? Ah, there may lie the reason why TT doesn't like FA's. When he drafts someone, they are essentially forced to come to GB.

Finally, I love Harlan, but, lately, Bob Harlan hasn't had much respect for the Packers, Green Bay, or his players.
------

"Who the hell is Ted Thompson?"--Mike Ditka, ESPN radio.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far....I agree with every one of those....especially #4. I'm not sure he could have avoided #6 but he could have done a better job with #7.

I'm willing to give him time before ripping him. But if he can't convince Favre to come back, he can go to hell.....or worse....Minnesota!

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Three Superbowls Net. That is how far it got him, and that is just as many as the Packers in the same time period.

I wish he would change his 1977 jogging suit though, and get rid of those man-granny glasses on the chain while he is at it.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net: There is plenty of middle ground between swallowing the company line hook-line-and-sinker and getting one's information from a "fire Ted Thompson" web site. And most of us here are in that middle ground. I humbly suggest that you stop arguing with the extremists. It doesn't accomplish anything. It always disgusted me that there was a "fire Mike Sherman" web site, and it disgusts me just as much that there is already a site like that about Thompson.

By my count, there is only one valid gripe in this rant that you've posted for us (letting Bates get away), and the rest is either speculation or just so much hot air. There is also an obvious contradiction when this guy accuses Thompson of "not believing in the draft," but also criticizes him for not signing free agents or re-signing current players.

I'm not sure where this "complete lack of respect for Favre" thing is coming from. It must be the fact that Thompson keeps saying over and over that he wants Favre back.

Members online

Latest posts