GM has improved Packers, but by how much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Just to throw some gas on the fire.....

The Packers were a 10-6 team regularly making the playoffs when Ted Thompson took over in January 2005.

After missing the playoffs for 2 years how has the team improved?

I'm not going through all this again. lol Someone else can dig up the stats proving the Packers were not going anywhere regardless of the HC or GM in 2005.

Mackie2001

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Packers were a 10-6 team regularly making the playoffs when Ted Thompson took over in January 2005.

Bates did one thing that I really respect. He took a bad defense and made it respectable but that's not saying they were good. The Packers now have a defense, if the young guys start making their move, that could become a good one without using smoke and mirrors.

The offensive line is now young and healthy with athletic players. In some ways it reminds me of the oline in 2000, when Tausch and Clifton were rookies and Wahle was moved to left guard from left tackle. Remember that the oline really didn't start to blossom until 2001.

I beleive we have the makings of a good young receiving corps. I gotta like Holiday and Martin. Both made strides in limited playing time last year and I'm betting that they both make it.

We have a linebacking corps that will be one of the best and the dline is improved. I don't know if we have the answer at DE but the Packers could use another speed rusher that isn't easily blocked. KGB is the only proven speed rush the Packers have had for years.

You have to like the addition of Woodson. It looks like we have a safety that could be a faster, more athletic LeRoy Butler in Collins. The jury is still out on Manuel but I think he'll be just fine with the off season workouts, mini-camps and a full training camp under his belt.

No matter how you perceive the current team, the Packers were getting old and didn't have a very good defense and lousy special teams. The potential is everywhere. Now it's up to McCarthy to change potential into plays.

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Absolutely not! The Packers have not seen any dividends from the Ted Thompson hiring but you have to give him more time. 2007 will be a crossroad year for Thompson.

See post "2004 Packers" where stats provided show that the 2004 Packers are a much better team than the 2006 version.

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Cliff said:
Thompson was an errand boy.

After all, Mike Holmgren himself said Ted Thompson was in charge of running his drafts.

Would you mind providing the evidence to back that claim?

Larry McCarrens chat, a question was asked, and then McCarren replied:

brett, bellmawr, nj: hey larry, im so sick of people blaming the teams bad play on thompson...how do you feel concering his GMing abilities?

LM: I think time will show that he's a good judge of talent. I did an interview with Mike Holmgren before the Seattle game and asked him how big of a role TT played in the Seahawks rise to Super Bowl Contender. He said very important, that TT ran his draft - and he wound up his statement saying Ted Thompson will get it done in Green Bay. Fairly emphatic stuff.

It was being discussed in this thread.

Now, if it isn't too much trouble, would you mind stating evidence to back your claim?

In an article in "The Seattle Times" GM Mike Holmgren was asked by sports columnist Danny O'Neil to what extent Ted Thompson's input had on Seattle's draft selections. Holmgren's response was:

" I am the GM in Seattle and I am totally responsible for making the Seahawks draft picks. Ted Thompson is my errand boy."

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:

Absolutely not! The Packers have not seen any dividends from the Ted Thompson hiring but you have to give him more time. 2007 will be a crossroad year for Thompson.

See post "2004 Packers" where stats provided show that the 2004 Packers are a much better team than the 2006 version.

Yeah, the fact that Longwell was 48 out of 48 for extra points was a solid statement!

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
"Mike has always maintained that as we build the team, we want to build responsibly and not just for one year," Seahawk Vice President Ted Thompson said. "We want to be a team that competes year after year and ... I'm not sure you do that with free agency."

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsour.../web/vortex/display?slug=hawk28&date=20010128

Found this in another article.
"That's the thing about the underclassmen," Thompson said. "You don't really know a lot about them. The seniors, you've seen them and you have a lot of tape on them. But the underclassmen, it's more of a risk."

Was Chad Jackson a Jr and Greg Jennings a Sr?

edit, Yep, Chad was a Jr, Greg was a Sr. I wonder how much of that played in to Ted drafting Greg over Chad.

Reaction score
Cliff said:
Cliff said:
Thompson was an errand boy.

After all, Mike Holmgren himself said Ted Thompson was in charge of running his drafts.

Would you mind providing the evidence to back that claim?

Larry McCarrens chat, a question was asked, and then McCarren replied:

brett, bellmawr, nj: hey larry, im so sick of people blaming the teams bad play on thompson...how do you feel concering his GMing abilities?

LM: I think time will show that he's a good judge of talent. I did an interview with Mike Holmgren before the Seattle game and asked him how big of a role TT played in the Seahawks rise to Super Bowl Contender. He said very important, that TT ran his draft - and he wound up his statement saying Ted Thompson will get it done in Green Bay. Fairly emphatic stuff.

It was being discussed in this thread.

Now, if it isn't too much trouble, would you mind stating evidence to back your claim?

In an article in "The Seattle Times" GM Mike Holmgren was asked by sports columnist Danny O'Neil to what extent Ted Thompson's input had on Seattle's draft selections. Holmgren's response was:

" I am the GM in Seattle and I am totally responsible for making the Seahawks draft picks. Ted Thompson is my errand boy."

Are you sure this wasn't during the time Holmgren was GM. The quote would seem to appropriate during Holmgrens run as the GM, but not so much so after that.

Got a date?

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i love the job that ted thompson has done, personally...he goes with the new england patriots mentality of not overpaying for players, and if they want more money theyre gone

At this stage I'd rather have Colledge-Wells-Spitz healthy and young with a new blocking scheme which is starting to work for us than Wahle-Flanagan-Rivera making probably 4x the money, us being in cap trouble, and on the wrong side of 30.

At this stage I'd rather have a promising young character player like Greg Jennings than Javon Walker, overpaid and on one bad knee

Ahmad Caroll sucked and because he was a first round mistake by Mike Sherman we felt obligated to play him so we'd actually get some use out of him--hurting the team even more, gone...

speaking of erasing sherman's errors BJ Sander is no longer a problem, we didn't overpay Ryan Longwell like a lot of us wanted, and we have Jon Ryan and Dave Rayner who are formidable for special teams

Najeh Davenport did alright for pitt this year but Thompson took the avenue of being able to count on his players being healthy rather than the risk of davenport crapping out (no pun intended) midway thru the season

KGB and Bubba Franks are hopefully next...with whatever savings against the cap we have we can spend on players who actually contribute to the team

and don't act like ted thompson's cheap, everybody forgets he threw out the money to keep aaron kampman a packer, i think that worked out...as did the signing of charles woodson

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 3:33 PM
To: Kevin
Subject: RE: Hello

No problem, Kevin. I just checked The Seattle Times archives and I've actually never written about Ted Thompson since I began working here in July 2006. I spoke to Ted and quoted him last year when I was working at the other paper in town, but certainly never reported anything like that at all. Ted and Mike had a good working relationship according to my understanding. Hope all is well and take care.

Danny O.

Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 1:29 PM
To: Danny O'Neil
Wow, you took the time to reply! Thank you!

Actually, it was another member of a forum who is constantly bashing Ted Thompson and I didn’t feel it was accurate. I jus couldn’t imagine Mike talking down to one of his employees.

Thank you for your time.

Kevin

Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 1:17 PM
To: Kevin

I have no idea where that quote was recited from, but I have never reported that and have never seen that quote. If you have a reference for where you read that, please pass it along because I'd like to make sure that information is not being attributed to me if I did not write it.

Hope all is well. Take care.

Sincerely,
Danny O'Neil
Seattle Times Sports

Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2007 3:30 PM
To: Danny O'Neil
Subject: Hello
This was said to me and I was wondering if you could provide the article in which the quotes came from.

>>>>

>>>>

Thanks for your time.
Kevin

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 4:33 PM
To: cliff
Subject: RE: Kevin from Packerforum.com

No cliff, I have never recieved any E-mails from a person named Kevin from Packerforum.com inqiring about one of my columns in The Seattle Times regarding Mike Holmgren and Ted Thompson.

This guy must be pulling your leg. Take care and good luck.

Danny O.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

No cliff, I have never recieved any E-mails from a person named Kevin from Packerforum.com inqiring about one of my columns in The Seattle Times regarding Mike Holmgren and Ted Thompson.

Danny O.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
PAY ATTENTION! Check out all the idiotic errors you made while BEING AN IDIOT!

I FWD the emails to Ryan. He can do as he pleases.

Anyone else wants them, you are more than welcome to them.

I doubt anyone will as I am not the type of person to lie. I'm many things, jerk, *******, *****, but one thing I am not, is a liar.

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliff said:

Danny O.

Email error, send off error... you're terrible.

I doubt anyone will as I am not the type of person to lie. I'm many things, jerk, *******, *****, but one thing I am not, is a liar.

You had to edit a copy and paste job. :rotflmao:

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Cliff said:

Danny O.

First post was my initial msg, then his reply.

After posting it, he replied again, so I posted that information as well.

I felt it was the responsible thing to do. Ya know, give the TRUTH!

I like you. This is fun. :thumbsup:

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliff said:
Zero2Cool said:
Cliff said:

Danny O.

First post was my initial msg, then his reply.

After posting it, he replied again, so I posted that information as well.

I felt it was the responsible thing to do. Ya know, give the TRUTH!

I like you. This is fun. :thumbsup:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ZERO YOU ARE MY HERO!

I am going to be up your way, and I want to buy you a Steak Dinner and all the beer you can drink.

This may be the biggest ball busting post in the history of on line forums.

I am serious.... Zero Is My Hero!

P.S. A.A.D.P.... I Told You So! .... Man I told you so. It is a sickness.

Raider Pride.

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
ZERO YOU ARE MY HERO!

I am going to be up your way, and I want to buy you a Steak Dinner and all the beer you can drink.

This may be the biggest ball busting post in the history of on line forums.

I am serious.... Zero Is My Hero!

P.S. A.A.D.P.... I Told You So! .... Man I told you so. It is a sickness.

Raider Pride.

Why would you reward sickness with a steak dinner?

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Is that really Depack?

No. DePack, if he did something similar to Cliff, he'd more than likely say 'crap im busted' or something on those lines and admit he lied.

Cliff undermined the intellgence of the users on this forum and it slapped him in the face.

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Is that really Depack?

No. DePack, if he did something similar to Cliff, he'd more than likely say 'crap im busted' or something on those lines and admit he lied.

Cliff undermined the intellgence of the users on this forum and it slapped him in the face.

I always know when I'm winning because the insults start coming.

Don't worry zero, you're RP's hero.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
tromadz said:
Is that really Depack?

I always know when I'm winning because the insults start coming.

Don't worry zero, you're RP's hero.

Cliff,

Just the fact you called me "RP" and not "Raider Pride" proves you have been on this forum a lot longer than a couple of months.

Welcome Back DePack.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Well, I say it's best if we all get back to the original thread topic. :)

That is a splendid idea. How are we to do such a thing with a poster who will dredge up quotes that were never said while claiming a writer provided those quotes?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thats what ive said for a while. Blatant lying is worse than any namecalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts