Free Agents

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to argue with what Ted has assembled. We should be looking at 3 in a row right now.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I keep waiting for fans to realize that just because the guy is a big name, doesn't mean he's right for the team. Vincent Jackson is a prime example. The guy's one off-field incident away from being suspended for a year. Not worth the risk.

I also love the "Not ready to put my faith in <insert name of player here>" comments. Unproven players don't become proven by sitting on the sidelines. The become proven by playing. What are you gonna do, fill this position with only free agents?

There are positions in this league that just aren't worth over paying for. Running back is one. Wide Receiver is another. Every once in a while you find a one of a kind talent like Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, or Randy Moss back in the day. Most times players at the wide receiver position are a dime a dozen. They catch the ball and run good routes. Not worth overpaying for, not when you can fill the position in the draft.

Besides, it's been said time and time again- Winning in March != winning in January. Most of the contracts signed in the early stages of free agency wind up not being worth it.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't do free agents.
We do sign many of our own, but have to let occasional important ones go like Jenkins last year, Wells this year, etc.

Like you said- We sign plenty of free agents. They're just usually our own guys.

Based on what I've read this morning, it seems Wells didn't want to return to the Packers. Fine by me, I don't want players here who don't want to be here.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got you man. I've got some pretty awesome Photoshop skills, and I spent forever working on this. Here's Jerry Hughes in a Packers uniform:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Can't even tell he has on another uniform,lol

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like you said- We sign plenty of free agents. They're just usually our own guys.

Based on what I've read this morning, it seems Wells didn't want to return to the Packers. Fine by me, I don't want players here who don't want to be here.
Losing Wells & Flynn we should get a comp pick at the end of the 2nd round. I would look at drafting C Konz from WI (although unlikely he'll be there then). If he's not there then draft the best available C

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Losing Wells & Flynn we should get a comp pick at the end of the 2nd round.
The earliest comp pick is awarded after the third round. And if Thompson signs a UFA OC, for example, that offsets the value of comp picks awarded, to one degree or another.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing Wells & Flynn we should get a comp pick at the end of the 2nd round. I would look at drafting C Konz from WI (although unlikely he'll be there then). If he's not there then draft the best available C

Compensatory picks start in the 3rd round and wouldn't happen until 2013 for Flynn or Wells.

Mozhino

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am glad we haven't signed anyone we have been linked with. Chris Myers, too much coin for a center and would never of come here. Langford, 6million a season for a two down line man, who can't buy a sack, no thanks. Wimberly, will want some crazy cash for a guy whose best season was when he was a rookie.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wimberly had 9 sacks for Oakland in 2010 and 7 in 2011. Playing opposite Matthews I think he would get at least that many and I'd be happy with that. Keep in mind that no one on the Packer team had as many as 7 sacks last year. But I think he's going to get a big contract from someone other than the Packers.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here’s a great article by Jason Wilde on Thompson and free agency. LINK He not only goes through the list of UFAs Thompson has acquired but also provides some quotes from Thompson on the subject over the years.

What I think many fans don’t recognize is how fluid talent acquisition is in the draft, UFA, and even UDFA. Many fans post and talk as if a GM can just formulate a plan for acquiring specific players and execute it. But there are too many factors interacting to accomplish that unless you are determined to overpay every UFA you pursue ala Dan Snyder. And even if Thompson wanted to manage the Packers in the exact same way Snyder does, he can’t because there’s no deep pocket owner whose wallet is available for plundering. And of course looking at Snyder's results... Thompson said, “There's too many moving parts. But what you do is try to be prepared and able to react to situations. The long-term plan doesn't change, but the little intricate parts are moving among that plan are the things you have to change and react to.”

There’s also a quote about the cost of UFA. Many of us have made this point. “And we are cognizant of the fact that if you make an investment in free agency, then that comes with a cost. There's going to be a player or two players within a year from now that you won't have because you made that investment. Now, if it's worth it, it's worth it. But everything comes at a cost."

But Thompson has also said, “I think free agency is an excellent way to address particular needs or concerns. If everything fits.” IMO there is one glaring need that should be addressed in free agency and that’s OC, where having an experienced veteran is more important than having one at OLB and/or DL IMO. I hope they sign a UFA OC even if it’s someone near the end of his career as that would buy them some time. I’d also like to see a DL signed just to take some pressure off finding one in the draft. I think OLB opposite Clay would best be filled through the draft or a yougster on the roster like So’oto but that spot needs competition from an early round draftee IMO.

Members online

Latest posts