Free Agents

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course, we are RARELY players in this aspect of assembling NFL talent.
TT utilizes undrafted free agents (So'oto, Lattimore, Josh Bell, Zombo, Tim Knicky) and street free agents (Walden), but conventional free agency (Woodson, Pickett) is obviously not the way he builds a roster.

However, he has signed some mid-tier and lower-tier FA's before. Here are some guys I think COULD POSSIBLY help us, who won't be the big headliner, bank-breakers:

20. Brodrick Bunkley, DT/DE 6-2 3/4, 306, 28 yrs old
11.3% of all plays Bunkley was in run defense ended up with him making a defensive stop; the most of all DTs in the league. Outside of an injury-plagued 2010, Bunkley has always brought disruption when teams have run at him and there’s no reason to see that changing.
He was the 14th pick in the first round in 2006, by the Eagles.

29. Tyvon Branch, S, 6-0, 205, age 25
Branch is better than his 2011 would suggest, with the Raiders being forced to use him a slot cornerback, and opting to send him on blitzes far too often. At his best, Branch is the kind of in-the-box safety who you can leave in man coverage–a very useful thing to have. LINK

30. Jarret Johnson, LB, 6-3, 260, age 30 (uh-oh)
There isn’t a linebacker in the league who sets the edge like Johnson, who is a bigger part than many credit for how good the Ravens’ defense is. More of a two-down linebacker at this stage (he’s never been the most productive pass rusher in sub packages) Johnson has earned a +60.3 run defense grade over the past three years. LINK

45. Manny Lawson, OLB, 6-5, 240, 27 yrs old
Lawson played well in Cincinnati, but he now finds himself in an interesting position. An effective pass rusher, two teams have used Lawson as primarily a base-downs player. Given the lack of interest in him last year, has much happened in 2011 to change that?
He really should have been added by Ted Thompson last off-season as he was a bargain.
He was the 22nd overall pick in that 2006 draft. LINK
Here are some fan comments from last year at this time, about Lawson. Most 49er fans seemed to like him a lot and did not want to lose him.
Manny Lawson is a guy that I would absolutely hate to lose, because he does so much for our defense that doesn't show up on the stat sheet. He'll never be the sack leader of the NFL or anything, but he does everything so well, and there is something to be said about a LB that has NO holes in his game. Great in coverage, excellent against the run, one of the best in setting the edge, and a pretty decent passrusher in his own right. Not only that, but he's an athletic freak and one of the best at blocking FGs. He's a great character guy as well.
He won't get lots of sacks. He doesn't make tons of tackles. But often, he's the guy that makes things happen for others. He covers well. He plays the run well. He sets the edge well. Plus he's a great character.
He's not elite by any mean (except his athleticism... people tend to forget, but he may actually be faster than Pat Willis, therefore faster than most of our DBs). But he's a guy I wouldn't want to have to replace on our team.
Not to mention he's an outstanding person with a great personality. You CANNOT allow someone who is athletically gifted and has a great head on his shoulders leave a team who needs high character guys to help JH build his empire.
Who ever is a 49ers fan and doesn't like Manny Lawson needs to go watch film of him and pay attention to the little things he does that throws off the opposing offense's game plan.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/13/pffs-top-50-free-agents/

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Don't forget the potential draft day trade for your man crush Jerry Hughes.

;)

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget the potential draft day trade for your man crush Jerry Hughes.

;)
LOL, I won't forget that.
I have sent Ted Thompson one letter about this..... I meant to send another yesterday, forgot.

I need to utilize my Photoship skills to put Hughes into a Packer uniform, print it, and just send it to Lombardi Ave for Ted to see. Get the deal done. What a coup that would be....

But I like a few guys on this list.... I think Teddy can patch up some weak areas here before the draft. Makes taking the BPA easier when he has fewer holes that need filling. Two years now he's ignored the OLB spot, and it came back to bite us in the ****.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got you man. I've got some pretty awesome Photoshop skills, and I spent forever working on this. Here's Jerry Hughes in a Packers uniform:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL, I won't forget that.
I have sent Ted Thompson one letter about this..... I meant to send another yesterday, forgot.

I need to utilize my Photoship skills to put Hughes into a Packer uniform, print it, and just send it to Lombardi Ave for Ted to see. Get the deal done. What a coup that would be....

But I like a few guys on this list.... I think Teddy can patch up some weak areas here before the draft. Makes taking the BPA easier when he has fewer holes that need filling. Two years now he's ignored the OLB spot, and it came back to bite us in the ****.

You should make a poster...hear you can get those done at your local Walgreens :D

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You should make a poster...hear you can get those done at your local Walgreens :D
I can print that from my house too... good idea.
If I get time tonight, I'll do it and mail it to the gray ghost Ted Thompson.

When is the combine?
I wanna get to him before he goes there and falls in love over the new crop of fresh young men there.
I've always heard this was his favorite part of the job. He loves measuring & sizing up the young talent.

:eek:)

(sense of humor please)

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can print that from my house too... good idea.
If I get time tonight, I'll do it and mail it to the gray ghost Ted Thompson.

When is the combine?
I wanna get to him before he goes there and falls in love over new fresh meat there.
I've always heard this was his favorite part of the job. He loves measuring & sizing up the young talent.

:eek:)

(sense of humor please)

Combine starts next week, 22nd I believe

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
The only Free Agent I really want is Cliff Avril. His natural position is OLB and getting him would allow us come draft day to address more positions that need help rather than just our pass rush. Like OL, Safety, Corner, and ILB.

Besides him, Vincent Jackson. People may not like this idea, but I think Jennings with his stature, route running and quickness would be better suited playing Slot Receiver, then move Jackson as our #1 and Jordy #2

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides him, Vincent Jackson. People may not like this idea, but I think Jennings with his stature, route running and quickness would be better suited playing Slot Receiver, then move Jackson as our #1 and Jordy #2

Jackson is vastly over-rated. He wants #1 money, but is not a #1. He had 50 yards or less receiving in 8 games last year. And that's totally ignoring the fact that he's 29 going on 30.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Jackson is vastly over-rated. He wants #1 money, but is not a #1. He had 50 yards or less receiving in 8 games last year. And that's totally ignoring the fact that he's 29 going on 30.

He's not overrated. He just plays for an overrated QB and a terrible head coach on one of the most poorly managed teams in the NFL. He had over 1,000 yard receiving last season. That's great numbers for a wideout no matter how you slice it especially considering how bad the Chargers and Rivers were this season.

Jackson might be up there but he has a lot of playmaking ability and is a legit downfield threat. Something that we really haven't had in a while. Even though Jordy has been showing recently that he could be that guy.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
All this just IMO: Signing a big name, big money RB would be a mistake. While I disagree with it at least I understand the rationale for it. I can’t say the same about signing a big name, big money WR. That would be an even bigger mistake. The Packers are deep at WR. So deep they have two WRs on the PS they paid more in-season to get them into camp this season. The last expensive UFA the Packers should sign on offense is QB. And WR is right behind. Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Jones and/or Driver and/or Gurley and/or Borel. They’re more than good at WR. The focus of cap, cash, and draft resources have to be focused on the other side of the ball. The only resources the Packers should spend on WR is extending Jennings this season.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not overrated. He just plays for an overrated QB and a terrible head coach on one of the most poorly managed teams in the NFL. He had over 1,000 yard receiving last season. That's great numbers for a wideout no matter how you slice it especially considering how bad the Chargers and Rivers were this season.

Jackson might be up there but he has a lot of playmaking ability and is a legit downfield threat. Something that we really haven't had in a while. Even though Jordy has been showing recently that he could be that guy.

nope, he's not worth the time or money, let him go to NE or Dallas or Tampa. He's a headache in the locker room, and getting old. Rivers isn't overrated, just had a really bad year.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
nope, he's not worth the time or money, let him go to NE or Dallas or Tampa. He's a headache in the locker room, and getting old. Rivers isn't overrated, just had a really bad year.

Headache in the locker room? How so?

Rivers had a really bad year and an old man and an apparent "locker room headache" had 1100 yds receiving. Interesting.

I think that speaks volumes. Alas it was fantasy suggestion, I know there is 0% chance of it happening. But unlike a lot of my cohorts on here, I'm not exactly ready to put my faith into one of the rookie practice squad members if we lose DD.

Granted there could be a "victor cruz" playing WR on our practice squad waiting for his shot, but I'm not that optimistic.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
There’s no need to put your faith into Gurley or Borel. Cobb is Driver’s replacement. Jennings and Nelson can both get deep and Jones is big enough not to get muscled at the LOS (so is Nelson). Finley is likely to return so Rodgers has lots of targets. Spending resources on a WR isn’t a fantasy IMO; it’s a nightmare.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There’s no need to put your faith into Gurley or Borel. Cobb is Driver’s replacement. Jennings and Nelson can both get deep and Jones is big enough not to get muscled at the LOS (so is Nelson). Finley is likely to return so Rodgers has lots of targets. Spending resources on a WR isn’t a fantasy IMO; it’s a nightmare.
especially one such as v-jack. he's not a packer-type of wr. he has some diva in him, has spoken out like j-mike has. wr's take time to develop chemistry with too. we are so deep at wr that we might have to let the heartbeat driver go.

cliff avril is great, but he's a big price, hot name, so no chance.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only Free Agent I really want is Cliff Avril. His natural position is OLB and getting him would allow us come draft day to address more positions that need help rather than just our pass rush. Like OL, Safety, Corner, and ILB.

As FrankRizzo said, Avril will not come cheap. Jerry Hughes and Adam Carriker could very well come on the cheap and if they do, could be very nice pickups for Green Bay. In addition to filling holes at OLB and DE, they would give TT and MM the latitude to pick the BPAs in the draft and let them develop.

IamAthimble

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to focus on defense, maybe offensive line. But we don't need receivers, at all. Jennings and Nelson are two of the best in the game. If Nelson has anything close to a season like last year, we will have two of the best receivers in the NFL on our team. And if they all clean up the drops, we have the best group in the league. Finley has top five TE potential, Cobb is going to be awesome, and Jones is actually a great receiver and would make a solid #2 target on most teams in the NFL. Plus even though Driver is getting old, he has the most reliable hands on the team and still makes plays. We have incredible depth at receiver.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Headache in the locker room? How so?

Rivers had a really bad year and an old man and an apparent "locker room headache" had 1100 yds receiving. Interesting.

I think that speaks volumes. Alas it was fantasy suggestion, I know there is 0% chance of it happening. But unlike a lot of my cohorts on here, I'm not exactly ready to put my faith into one of the rookie practice squad members if we lose DD.

Granted there could be a "victor cruz" playing WR on our practice squad waiting for his shot, but I'm not that optimistic.

He's threatened to retire, demanded trades and has held out several times over the last few years. I get that he didn't like being Tagged, but he's been a diva about it instead of working things out with SD. We had that kind of crap with Javon Walker, don't need it again.

We don't need a "Victor Cruz" type guy, we've got our guys and they are all damn good.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's threatened to retire, demanded trades and has held out several times over the last few years. I get that he didn't like being Tagged, but he's been a diva about it instead of working things out with SD. We had that kind of crap with Javon Walker, don't need it again.
That's exactly right. We don't need that schit on our team at all, especially when we already have 6 or 7 quality WRs.
Tory Gurley IS READY NOW, and we can't get him called up to the team without releasing another good one. That sucks in and of itself. I certainly wouldn't want to indoctrate a new guy from a different system, and one that's got that Diva in him. NO way.

Plus he's probably older than Ted likes anyway. Ted likes his men younger. We all know that by now.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't do free agents.
We do sign many of our own, but have to let occasional important ones go like Jenkins last year, Wells this year, etc.

Staff online

Latest posts