Free Agents Packers Want

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These are in terms of perceived interest by Green Bay according to John Clayton and Chris Mortensen:

1) Donte Stallworth WR: The Packers are really keeping a close eye and ear on these developments. Even though Donte has come out and said he prefers to stay with Philadelphia he is interested in seeing what other teams are offering. SO far the Eagles seem cool towards resigning him but with 3 weeks to go that interest should get warmer. The thinking around NFL circles is that if the Eagles are slow in negotiating that Green Bay has the strength and muscle to get their #1 desire. Stallworth brings solid credentials to the mix with a blend of speed and quickness along with good hands and route running. Teams expecting to make a run at Stallworth are the Vikings Tennessee and the 49'ers. San Francisco has made Stallworth their #1 objective and they have an enormous amount of cap money to spend but the packers are said to fixated on adding Stallworth

2) Justin Smith DE: practically every team in the NFL could use another DE. Some are in desperate situations to improve at the position. The Packers acknowledge they have their own decision with Cullen Jenkins but if they could add a player like Justin Smith they would jump at the opportunity. Justin is a complete 3 down DE with the ability to rush the QB and the quickness to drop off into passing lanes in short designed areas. Good run defender as well. Used in several capacities by the Bengals that did not utilize his talents. The Bengals really want to keep Smith but will not franchise him. Currently the odds favor St. Louis Rams as he is a Missourian and the Rams were one of his favorite teams growing up. Detroit is expected to make a serious run at Justin Smith as well. They the Lions have no one with Smith's ability. Green Bay - Seattle and Tennessee are expected to have great interest in Smith. Denver Bronco's are looking to add a DE as well.

3) Deon Grant S: it was thought that the Jags would franchise him but word is out now that they will not. A lot of teams are in need of a S with Grants skills. Grant is a good ball hawk and reads the play quite well. Has good speed and athleticism. Grant wold be the best safety the packers have had since Leroy Butler. In fact he plays the free spot so well that Nick Collins could be moved to a more natural slot at SS. The word around the NFL is that the Packers do intend to talk with Grant very early in the FA process. The Philadelphia Eagles are going to let Michael Lewis go and are expected to make a strong push for Grant. The St. Louis Rams have never recovered from losing Adam Archuleta and are expected to be players for Grant as well.

4) Drew Bennett WR: in a somewhat surprising development the packers are indeed interested in Drew Bennett but the word is they believe he will receive expensive offers which will end any hope of the Packers of adding a Quality #3 WR that fits exactly what McCarthy is seeking. When he said he wanted some play makers on offense many believed he was talking about home run type players but in a later interview he talked about getting difference makers that keeps drives going and the chains moving. He said it was vitally important to get Brett some protection and security. That fits Bennett's bio to a great degree. A solid route runner with ultimate consistency. Tennessee is expected to try and keep Bennett especially if Vince Young ants him back. But the team expected to be the front runner for Bennett is Indianapolis. The Colts are looking for a slot #3 WR. Watch for the Falcons to make a play as well. And San Diego is whispered to be focusing in on Bennett as well.

5) Damion McIntosh OT: a little surprise that Green Bay is more interested in an OT than a versatile OG like Eric Steinbach. McIntosh is interesting because he is not considered a solid pass rusher. His technique is rough around the edges. But he gives 100% on every play and is a very coach-able player. One of the best run blocking OT's in the NFL. Some might say he is one of the top 3 in the NFL. He moves and has above average slide, Solid power and strength and understands leverage as well as anyone. Miami does not want to lose him and are trying to extend but so far Damion wants to see what FA offers. Teams expected to make an effort to sign him are the Dallas Cowboys - Houston Texans - Tampa Bay and San Francisco - A report out of the Mercury News has Stallworth, Nate Clements and McIntosh as the 49er's primary objectives in FA. I hear the Packers are very interested in McIntosh as well.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for listing the sources. I trust that these are legit then. Thanks for the Info

Not happy to see Stallworth or Bennett. I think they can both be good #3's but I feel we'll end up in a bidding war for the 2 because of the lack of quality WR's out there this year.

McIntosh is very shocking but depth on the offensive line needs to be addressed. I think he shouldn’t be to expensive and might be a good value signing.

Deon Grant has always underachieved. He has always had a lot of potential but hasn't quite peaked yet. With that said I think he's a far better player than Manuel. Signing him would be a nice move. Although he's another guy I don't want to get into a huge bidding war over.

Really like Justin Smith. This is the guy I want to get in a bidding war over. I think he'd be a great pickup. Signing Smith and moving KGB in my opinion would be a great move for this franchise. Smith like stated above is a complete player and I think Kampman and Smith as every down DE's and Jenkins rotating in as well would really solidify the Packers Defensive Line.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting stuff, especially the safety from Jacksonville. If he's as good as this article suggests, I would feel very good about the safety position going into 2007, with Manuel gone and Underwood taking his rightful place as a backup rather than being shoved into the starting lineup coming off a major injury with only one year of experience.

I am one of a minority of Packer fans, I guess, who is interested in Donte Stallworth. With Driver, Stallworth, and Jennings, I would like our top three a lot. Holliday and Martin are still raw, and let's face it, they are long shots to become impact players.

I think the OT is a no-go because he will want to go where he can start. The DE looks good, although Thompson might then end up getting rid of KGB for less than he is worth. And I'm not sure where it would leave Jenkins. I prefer the idea of going with a Kampman/Jenkins/KBG rotation and using free agent money to upgrade higher need positions (tight end, safety, wide receiver).

With two or three big free agent pickups, Thompson could then home in on the remaining areas of big need in the first two rounds of the draft. Then things might start to look very interesting indeed for the 2007 season.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant would be the one to catch my eye there. I was hoping we would of taken a better run at Donavin Darius last year cause I've always like that Jaguar secondary. They seem to love to hit people which would fit right in here. Nice post on the info

Members online