for the sake of a new topic:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of people still consider Rodgers arrogant, most likely because they have troubles dealing with confident people. Manziel has been a distraction since entering the league and doesn't possess the talents the Packers are looking for in a QB. I'd rather take a day 3 gamble on a guy like Sean Mannion who played in a pro-style offense.
Actually, Manziel has been a distraction since before he won the Heisman. I totally agree that the third QB will either be a late round pick or UDFA

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, now... I am NOT self-centered.
I'm not either but when it comes to the type of people I want on the Packers I am very judgmental. We don't need to take foolish chances with bad guys. That's what dumb, loser teams do.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Manzel is a dousche... His into into the NFL as a starter was.......horrible? Horrible doesnt do it justice. Embarassing. Painful to watch. He rallied the defense! lol They wanted to eat him alive, and he looked legitimately scared at the end of that game.
I can live without "Johnny football" LOL
I actually feel kind of bad for the guy. not bad enough to give him a job tho.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, you know me? Difference is, I am not trying to play for the Packers. You can be the biggest ****** in the world, so what? I don't care. But I would not want that person on the Packers as it is a huge distraction. Talented or not - some people have a negative overall impact on a team because of their attitude despite the apparent accomplishments on the field.

The Browns were very foolish to use a 1st on him. Their foolish mistake does not establish his value. I would put his value now as I did then. I figure he is worth a warm bucket of pi$$.

Donald Driver, Sam Barrington, Matt Flynn, Scott Wells, Mark Tauscher, were all 7th rounders in the last 15 years. Many more misses, but there are some nice players as well. There were another 5 or 6 names of guys who played a little or played for other teams.

Might not have been worth the pick, but now that's it was made, gotta stick with him for more than one year.

H

HardRightEdge

Seriously, some of you are the most arrogant, self centered, egotistical and judgmental people I have ever had the pleasure of associating with.
You don't get out much.
I would be willing to bet everyone of you were a "clown" or a "train wreck" at some point in your life but you picked yourself up, dusted yourself off and probably became decent human beings but you did it without the crushing weight of fame and the 24 hour news cycle.
Manziel has nobody to blame but himself. Forget the substance abuse problems. "Show me the money" and his other antics were a lightning rod of his own creation. More concern with personal "brand building" than the playbook is a serious problem. If you can't stand the heat in the kitchen, don't be at the stove stirring the pot.

Do you believe it is possible for a human being to have a character flaw? I suppose you must if arrogance, egotism, self-centeredness and judgmentalism are to be considered character flaws. Most GMs and coaches spend a lot of time assessing the character of a potential starting QB and a "face of the franchise" player (which is what first round QBs are supposed to be). So why shouldn't we? Cleveland failed in their due diligence. Should the Packers repeat the mistake?

And that's not even getting into the fact he's a short, spread/option QB with serious questions as to whether his game translates to the pros.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't get out much.

Manziel has nobody to blame but himself. Forget the substance abuse problems. "Show me the money" and his other antics were a lightning rod of his own creation. More concern with personal "brand building" than the playbook is a serious problem. If you can't stand the heat in the kitchen, don't be at the stove stirring the pot.

Do you believe it is possible for a human being to have a character flaw? I suppose you must if arrogance, egotism, self-centeredness and judgmentalism are to be considered character flaws. Most GMs and coaches spend a lot of time assessing the character of a potential starting QB and a "face of the franchise" player (which is what first round QBs are supposed to be). So why shouldn't we? Cleveland failed in their due diligence. Should the Packers repeat the mistake?

And that's not even getting into the fact he's a short, spread/option QB with serious questions as to whether his game translates to the pros.

I think you missed the tongue in cheek point of my post where I admitted being the same way. That being said, character flaws in young men with lots of money can be repaired as I have witnessed it first hand with one of my best friends. Now with that being said I don't think he is a NFL QB because of his skills not because of his character.

H

HardRightEdge

I think you missed the tongue in cheek point of my post where I admitted being the same way. That being said, character flaws in young men with lots of money can be repaired as I have witnessed it first hand with one of my best friends. Now with that being said I don't think he is a NFL QB because of his skills not because of his character.
Assuming that's genuine and not a morning after reconsideration, try a couple of emoticons next time. ;)

I would point out that Manziel displayed the same traits at A&M when the only money in his pocket might have been from selling autographs. [I can't say I blame him for doing so, but that's a whole other topic.]

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming that's genuine and not a morning after reconsideration, try a couple of emoticons next time. ;)

I would point out that Manziel displayed the same traits at A&M when the only money in his pocket might have been from selling autographs. [I can't say I blame him for doing so, but that's a whole other topic.]

I was going for the whole, sarcastic, lets see if anyone catches it thing, which one person actually did, anyway, as far as Manziel money goes, the kid came from money, his parents are worth tens of millions, he always had money in his pocket and was never wanting for anything in college. My guess, if we really want to psychoanalyze the guy and why he turned out the way he did, we probably would not have to look much farther than his rich parents who spoiled him and let him do whatever he wanted without repercussion.

H

HardRightEdge

I was going for the whole, sarcastic, lets see if anyone catches it thing, which one person actually did, anyway, as far as Manziel money goes, the kid came from money, his parents are worth tens of millions, he always had money in his pocket and was never wanting for anything in college. My guess, if we really want to psychoanalyze the guy and why he turned out the way he did, we probably would not have to look much farther than his rich parents who spoiled him and let him do whatever he wanted without repercussion.
Thanks for the clarification.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ivo nailed it, as that was my thought reading all of the posts. I'm not sure that the kid needed to go to rehab unless he truly was an alcoholic. My informed guess is that he's just a 20-year old partying his brains out and getting laid while he can. I have no problem with that but it's not what you want out of your QB in general. If he could demonstrate a gained sense of maturity and commitment to his profession, I'd be fine with a low draft choice for him. You can easily cut a "train wreck" who is killing the locker room if you didn't spend anything on him.

Imagine how Johnny M would have paled around with Hornung and McGee....

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of kids party their brains out, they still get to work when it's time to work. He's more worried about everything else than he is football. He'll have a career shorter than Tebows if he's not careful.

H

HardRightEdge

“Yeah,” Paul [Manziel, Johnny's father] says one evening, driving in his car, “it could come unraveled. And when it does, it’s gonna be bad. Real bad.”

And there we are.

Members online

Latest posts