Ferguson still in team's plans and other news.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: Feb. 21, 2007

Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson said at the time he put Robert Ferguson on injured reserve last October that he wanted the oft-injured wide receiver back in 2007.

Robert Ferguson, who missed the final 10 games, was told during his exit interview with the team that he would not be released this off-season.

Four months later, nothing has changed.

Ferguson, who missed the final 10 games due to a Lisfranc injury in his right foot, was told during his exit interview with the team that he would not be released this off-season. Despite missing 36 of a possible 96 games since being selected in the second round in 2001, Ferguson will be given a shot to prove himself once again.

"He's looking forward to having a good year," said his agent, Brian Overstreet. "He's doing good, and he'll be ready to go when camp starts. He's coming in hoping to start. He'll just work hard, and if he can contribute as a starter he will and if not, he'll fill whatever role they'd like him to do."

Ferguson, 27, lost his starting job in training camp to rookie Greg Jennings, and held the No. 3 spot even after Koren Robinson joined the team. However, he only caught five passes for 31 yards and a touchdown in the four games he was active.

Thompson acknowledged Wednesday that Ferguson was still in the team's plans, but he said he didn't want to talk about the future of any players on the roster right now. There was some thought that Ferguson and his $1.8 million base salary and $2.5 million salary cap number would cause the Packers to let him go.

But with about $25 million of cap space, the Packers can afford to bring Ferguson to camp and let him compete for a position. If he falls down the depth chart, they can cut him and incur only a $700,000 cap hit in 2008.

In six seasons, three as a primary starter, the most passes Ferguson has caught was 38 in 2003. He has offered lack of opportunity as part of the reason he hasn't had a big season yet, but over the past four seasons he has started 25 of 43 games in which he has appeared and not had a single 100-yard receiving game.

The Packers value Ferguson for his outstanding special teams and have used him as a returner as well as on coverage units. Some of Ferguson's injury problems have come from having to play on special teams.

Among the receivers Ferguson will be competing against for a roster spot this summer are Ruvell Martin, Carlyle Holiday, Shaun Bodiford, Chris Francies, Carlton Brewster and Calvin Russell. In addition, the Packers are likely to add a receiver in the draft.

Decision time
Fullback William Henderson wants to come back for a 13th season, but the Packers have yet to tell him whether they want him back.

Henderson's agent, James Williams, said his client has prepared himself mentally and physically to play this season.

"I think he has one or two more years left in him," Williams said. "He really takes care of himself."

Henderson, who turned 36 on Monday, lost his starting job to Brandon Miree early last season, but wound up starting nine games after Miree injured his elbow. The coaches seek a more agile player at the position for their zone blocking system and they might move on without him.

"He wants to return to the Packers," Williams said. "The ball is in their court."

Birds of a feather
Thompson said his close relationship with recently hired Tennessee Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt wouldn't result in a avalanche of trades between the two teams.

Thompson and Reinfeldt played together with the Houston Oilers and worked in the front office together in both Green Bay and Seattle. They are best friends, and Thompson was in favor of the Titans' decision.

"I think it's a really good hire," Thompson said of Reinfeldt, a Baraboo native who played college football at UW-Milwaukee. "He's a very good people person and he'll run a good organization. He's a good judge of people and he'll put them in a position to play to their strengths."

Nothing set
It has been almost eight weeks since the final game and almost three weeks since his decision to return but quarterback Brett Favre still hasn't had surgery to remove bone chips from his left ankle.

Favre plans to have surgery performed by team physician Patrick McKenzie but no date has been set.

"I don't think it's too far in the future," Thompson said. Then, he chuckled before adding, "But he has a way of moving it around sometimes."

New leg
Thompson wouldn't say if David Lonie was better than any punter in the draft but portrayed the Australian as a worthy challenger to Jon Ryan.

"We worked him out at the end of training camp and liked his talent quite a bit," Thompson said. "He's got a very strong leg. We felt it made a lot of sense to get him signed, get him here and let him compete in the spring."

Lonie, 27, was waived by Washington Aug. 28 on the cut to 75 players. He punted six times in exhibition games, averaging 43.8 yards (gross) and 36.7 (net).

His two-year minimum contract included no signing bonus.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I am not a big Fergy fan he is very good on ST which is horrible and needs guys like him. I may be wrong but didn't he hurt his foot on a ST play this year?

Also, for whatever reason, WR's in GB seem to get hurt....a lot. I don't know why or what the answer is other than fill the roster like baseball does with pitchers.

I hope TT gets top heavy with WR's vs. TE's although I have to say we can't keep them healthy either. Come to think about it didn't alot of teams have injury issues with their TE's this year?

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully Fergy will be affective onSpecial Teams and as a WR. Are we getting Koren this season? That would help our WR's.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every damn year he is ready to breakout and every year he sucks or gets hurt cut his ***!!! MY GOD HE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully Fergy will be affective onSpecial Teams and as a WR. Are we getting Koren this season? That would help our WR's.

yes we are getting him but he will be back on the 2n week of the regular season(i think). or some time during the season.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robert was just starting to become a decent player when he took that big hit from Darius. I give him credit for continuing to play after that collision, but sooner or later the Packers have to realize this guy's confidence was shattered.

Maybe Robert is happy being a #4 WRer and contributing on Special Teams

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My best guess

Ferguson is kept into training camp because Green Bay wants to get something for him. Come the final roster cutdowns he gets his walking papers.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ferguson should have been no more than 5th to 7th round draft choice, but he was chosen so early by the genius that he has always been miscast. People have been expecting this guy to play like a first round draft choice but that's not the type of skills he has. At his best he might be a third or fourth receiver, if he can stay healthy.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman was too loyal with his Texas A&M ties when he brought in Fergy that early in the draft...God that was a huge mistake. :wall:

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ferguson should have been no more than 5th to 7th round draft choice, but he was chosen so early by the genius that he has always been miscast. People have been expecting this guy to play like a first round draft choice but that's not the type of skills he has. At his best he might be a third or fourth receiver, if he can stay healthy.

how's chris chambers doing again?

Seriously I wish we'd finally get rid of Ferguson, Driver and Jennings to start, a draft pick perhaps at the wide out position, and give Ruvell Martin and Carlyle Holiday a shot in some formations

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You cannot re-build with old and brittle lumber. To keep guys like Fergy, Hendo, Bubba, etc. means you are not facing up to the inevitable. These guys, while they may be fan favorites, are no longer able to get their jobs done. It's a tough business but these guys were well paid when in their primes. If they were cut loose would ANY team sign them? Maybe for minimum if that. Money wise we can afford them but not talent wise where they are mere shells of what they once were. We cannot build with weakness. Fish or cut bait.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You cannot re-build with old and brittle lumber. To keep guys like Fergy, Hendo, Bubba, etc. means you are not facing up to the inevitable. These guys, while they may be fan favorites, are no longer able to get their jobs done. It's a tough business but these guys were well paid when in their primes. If they were cut loose would ANY team sign them? Maybe for minimum if that. Money wise we can afford them but not talent wise where they are mere shells of what they once were. We cannot build with weakness. Fish or cut bait.

Well said. It's always hard to say goodbye to veterans of the Pack mostly because of things they could do on the field years ago...too much loyalty can set a team back for years if they aren't willing to upgrade at any time for any position.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You cannot re-build with old and brittle lumber

agreed, I like to use the lumber analogies too, "chop out the dead wood"

Sharper, Walker, Hunt, Diggs, Davenport gone

KGB, Ferguson, Henderson (sadly), Franks should be

anything that doesnt fit in with the concept of where this team is going/will be in a year or two should be let go, whether it be attitude or physical ability

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only thing we be using Robert for is to get Moss.......And I hope he serves this purpose well!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts