COMP

2018 Clay Mathews in 761 snaps:
43 tackles
7 TFL
3.5 sacks
12 QB hits
1 forced fumble
0 pass deflections.

Zadarius played an entire game less of snaps and out performed CM3 in every conceivable stat. All this while being used as a hybrid LB/DT. Clay was primarily an OLB his entire career (you’d expect more Sacks at that position) and the only year he matched or beat the bulk of those 2018 stats? 2010, his rookie season.

We’ve basically got very similar to a 2010 version of Clay, but more well rounded. He’s probably the best player on this Defense and he best be accounted for on every snap.

If any 1 of the grouping of Montravius, Preston or a Rashan (just 1) have a career year. We will be absolutely a load to handle. Were 1 player stepping up from being a top 10 D IMO.

The more I think about it. We play such a small amount of base. I’m comfortable with having an extra Safety (Raven etc..) there in the middle with Martinez until Burks gets back. I don’t think we’re as outgunned as many are portraying.
Bringing in a third safety to play ILB works when its second or third and long. Its a recipe for disaster when its second and short which we will see plenty of with the big holes in the defense. Montravius or Lowry haven't played well their first two years and now were handed a starting D line position without earning it. That didn't work with Brad Jones at LB. I wouldn't expect a different result.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lowry has earned it, he's an example of "earning it" if there ever was one. Adams has been a little light on production when considering potential, but has been coming around. We'll see if he finishes it.

But this defense is better up front and better in the back that last year. I don't think the middle layer is much different actually in terms of talent at all. While it may be a weak spot on the team, it's not like it's devastating or likely even much of a consideration. That position has been increasingly a "hybrid" position anyway. Our guys up front are Better than last year and the guys behind them are better. I don't get all the angst.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lowry has earned it, he's an example of "earning it" if there ever was one. Adams has been a little light on production when considering potential, but has been coming around. We'll see if he finishes it.

But this defense is better up front and better in the back that last year. I don't think the middle layer is much different actually in terms of talent at all. While it may be a weak spot on the team, it's not like it's devastating or likely even much of a consideration. That position has been increasingly a "hybrid" position anyway. Our guys up front are Better than last year and the guys behind them are better. I don't get all the angst.
I guess we disagree with Lowry. He's invisible when he's in the game and his production has been mediocre at best. PFF rates him as the 61rst d lineman which puts him as one of the worst starting d linemen in the league. While PFF isn't flawless, I see a guy who has no quickness and lets o linemen get into his body where he can't shed a block. Offensive coordinators are drooling at the prospect of running at Adams, Lowry, Crawford or Summers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had a very similar year to a guy in our division most fans would love to have in Linval Joseph, in terms of TFL, more sacks, Pressures, QB hits, solo tackles etc. Not the mark of a man that can't beat a block, too slow and one of the worst starting dlinemen in the league. YOu're right, we definitely disagree.

you think Perry, Matthews, Clark, Lowry, Adams was better than

Smith, Smith, Clark, Lowry, Adams?

OP
OP
greengold

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dean Lowry will be starting his 4th season with GB. Look at his stats and you’ll see he’s an ascending player. They believe in him, and I would suspect his numbers will increase again, like the’ve trended his first 3 years, but even more so given surrounding talent.

Adams very similar but way more talented. I believe he’ll have a big breakout year this season.

OP
OP
greengold

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember when Montravius Adams came in as a rookie, I believe it was Francois was shocked at all the moves he had. This is a powerful guy who just happened to get injured shortly after those comments in TC, and he had to fight his way back.

Pettine was glowing about his play in TC this year, and I believe we will see why. Now he is healthy with a lot more solid mass, and a boatload of talent around him to help him make more of an impact. I like his tenacity. Hoping he has a great season for us. I think he will wind up being a wrecking crew. He was a nice pick in the 3rd round out of Auburn.

I'm really digging our new front 7. This is going to be fun to watch, along with how they impact the play of a greatly improved secondary. CHI is going to be in for a F'ing world of hurt, and so will all the other teams we play this season.

Dave66

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would be absolutely stunned if the Packers were a top 5 defense this year. They did be improved but there are just too many unknowns that would have to wind up perfect for this defense to be top 5. I don't think that the Packers pass rush is elite enough to make up for the questions at CB and the pass defense, while probably about average, isn't going to allow this team to be an elite NFL defense.

That being said, I hope I'm wrong. I hope King and Jackson take that next step and Gary shocks the world with his pass rush ability.

The Pack got upstage in the 1st round of the 2019 draft. Most people knew there were really only two inside LB to choose from. Most people knew TB would take White. GB should have taken every step necessary to insure they would get Bush. Let's be real... current GB inside LB are a huge weakness. Instead, GB naively took the approach of setting on their 12th first round pick, thinking Bush would fall into their lap. Then, in my opinion, to compound matters, they have a knee jerk reaction and take Gary. C'mon, it's not what they needed. After the Steelers grabbed Bush, GB should have traded their 12th pick and still could have snagged Savage later in the round.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
with the speed the Packers turned in their pick for Gary, there is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that he was exactly who they wanted. They weren't interested in entertaining trades or thinking about picking someone else. They were barely on the clock and they had turned their pick in. OLB is far more important in this defense and you'd be hard pressed to say that was a strength at draft time. Whether you liked it or not, we needed an OLB too.

Savage wasn't making it past Baltimore's pick immediately after the one we traded up to get. Why do you think they traded out as soon as we moved up and took Savage? Their guy was gone. I think there's a lot of wishful thinking in your post.

Joe C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thought you might dig this article on our D, and where we stood last season in review from Football Outsiders.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...pass-defense-mike-pettine-nfl-preaseason-2019

The new additions on defense this year, along with what I anticipate will be a healthy return of Kevin King, should yield vast improvement on this side of the ball for Green Bay. I seriously think we will be a Top 5 Defense in the NFL this year, if we can stay healthy. This is a very talented team on D. With the pressure we can now apply, along with our ballhawking secondary, I see this turning into quite the pick party this year. I believe our TO differential is going to go through the roof.

Defense wins Championships.
I believe the signings at OLB and Safety, the draft, and the additional year of experience at CB and the defensive line will pay big dividends. If we can stay relatively healthy, I believe we can be a top 10 defense. If that turns out to be the case, we will be a strong playoff contender.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Bringing in a third safety to play ILB works when its second or third and long. Its a recipe for disaster when its second and short which we will see plenty of with the big holes in the defense. Montravius or Lowry haven't played well their first two years and now were handed a starting D line position without earning it. That didn't work with Brad Jones at LB. I wouldn't expect a different result.

Using a safety at linebacker is common league wide, and does not mean that the safety must stay in the field in all situation. The Packers still used Morrison 28% of the time last year.

Lowry has done nothing but play well to this point in his career. To say he's been handed an unearned role is ignorant of his performance to date.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
with the speed the Packers turned in their pick for Gary, there is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that he was exactly who they wanted. They weren't interested in entertaining trades or thinking about picking someone else. They were barely on the clock and they had turned their pick in. OLB is far more important in this defense and you'd be hard pressed to say that was a strength at draft time. Whether you liked it or not, we needed an OLB too.

Savage wasn't making it past Baltimore's pick immediately after the one we traded up to get. Why do you think they traded out as soon as we moved up and took Savage? Their guy was gone. I think there's a lot of wishful thinking in your post.

It's also easy to believe that he was their guy becaue Gutekunst is from a GM tree that craves athleticism above all else.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Pack got upstage in the 1st round of the 2019 draft. Most people knew there were really only two inside LB to choose from. Most people knew TB would take White. GB should have taken every step necessary to insure they would get Bush. Let's be real... current GB inside LB are a huge weakness. Instead, GB naively took the approach of setting on their 12th first round pick, thinking Bush would fall into their lap. Then, in my opinion, to compound matters, they have a knee jerk reaction and take Gary. C'mon, it's not what they needed. After the Steelers grabbed Bush, GB should have traded their 12th pick and still could have snagged Savage later in the round.

Can you substantiate any of this?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As for talent on the field ... I don't know. I'm not an NFL talent evaluator but I am not one of those who thought that the 2010 defense was all that. Granted, they did what was needed in the second half of the season right through the Super Bowl to put up some dandy stats and I'm glad they did...BUT...throughout that 2010 season right through the SB, I was scared that the defense from the first half of the season was going to reappear at any time. Fortunately, that defense didn't return until the 2011 season.
Shows how important the middle linebacker was that year. It was just about the time that Bishop took over for Barnett (who ranks well but imho was not a good inside linebacker). I am comfortable with Martinez.

Dave66

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, I certainly hope you are correct about Gary being exactly what the Pack needs. Let's see how it plays out vrs. Bears tonight. I hope GB crushes them.

OP
OP
greengold

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D saved us.

Amos!!!

Za’Darius!!!

Preston!!!

All 3 Free Agent acquisitions closed out the game for us. Nice work, Mr. Gutekunst!

OP
OP
greengold

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching game again, I'm amazed at the play of the Smith Bros.

Preston was in the entire game but for 1 single snap. I found his level of play the most surprising. Knew he came with a great deal of acumen in stopping the run, but, wow. Preston is also exceptional at getting to the QB. He and Z reeked havoc on the Bears all night. Z was in for all but 5 snaps himself. These guys were incredible adds to our defense. The Smith Bros. did a phenomenal job holding the edge too. Great discipline.

Add Adrian Amos, who was making plays all over the place in run support and in coverage. What a great showing by these dudes.

Kevin King really had himself a great, well rounded game as well. Kenny Clark. Jaire Alexander. Raven Greene. Blake Martinez. Darnell Savage. Montravius Adams showed nothing but SOLID hustle. Even Rashan Gary had an efficient impact, with 2 Qb pressures in just 6 snaps. Monster contributions from all of them.

I think we've got a lot more good to great play from this entire D moving forward. Could be witnessing something incredibly special here. We'll know more after our next test.

Last edited:
Reaction score
After watching game again, I'm amazed at the play of the Smith Bros.

Preston was in the entire game but for 1 single snap. I found his level of play the most surprising. Knew he came with a great deal of acumen in stopping the run, but, wow. Preston is also exceptional at getting to the QB. He and Z reeked havoc on the Bears all night. Z was in for all but 5 snaps himself. These guys were incredible adds to our defense. The Smith Bros. did a phenomenal job holding the edge too. Great discipline.

Add Adrian Amos, who was making plays all over the place in run support and in coverage. What a great showing by these dudes.

Kevin King really had himself a great, well rounded game as well. Kenny Clark. Jaire Alexander. Raven Greene. Blake Martinez. Darnell Savage. Montravius Adams showed nothing but SOLID hustle. Even Rashan Gary had an efficient impact, with 2 Qb pressures in just 6 snaps. Monster contributions from all of them.

I think we've got a lot more good to great play from this entire D moving forward. Could be witnessing something incredibly special here. We'll know more after our next test.
What’s impressive is the byproduct of our D scheme match of the Bears. We had no injuries.

With a young team like ours and a nearly complete different Defensive look.. each passing week brings us closer to being a cohesive unit.

As of now, we’re relying more on raw talent.. and that will turn into a cohesive force after a stretch of games together. Rashan is an example of a short term project that can be fully unleashed later this season. No way does GB keep him sidelined all year. We haven’t even gotten a good look at our first pick yet. If he blossoms? We’re going to give opponents fits. Maybe not 3 points like Chicago.. but
likely held to 13, 17, 20pts. Etc.. Thats an area where Rodgers can exploit teams with clock management and without putting himself at risk.

As we’ve already gotten a taste of: Gary and both Smith’s can all play the Jack LB role, so that means Offenses have to cover one or both guys and they can be rotated occasionally to stay fresh.
I believe this was the aim all along of Gutekunst and Pettine..To posses a variety of personnel groups to confuse the QB, combined with each grouping having varying strengths to test the OL. We already noticed that pressure isn’t limited to OLB..we’re back to blitzing a DB occasionally also.
It’s essentially similar to what Chicago has, just not as refined.

OP
OP
greengold

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Oldy, my big takeaway from Thursday outside of how effectively our D played throughout, was LaFleur & Pettine’s choice to go with veterans, with the exception of Raven Greene. They were being very careful in CHI, a hostile environment for an important opener. Smart.

Gary had 6 reps, causing 2 QB hurries. No Keke. No Summers. Etc. we are a very deep, talented D.