Eliot Wolf / John Dorsey GM threads?/ Browns - Steelers fight

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol TT can clearly do better. Rodgers is carrying this team, if he had help from the defense we win by 14 easy in the game last week vs Cowboys.
If Rodgers doesn't miss a wide open Adams and throw an INT, it's probably not close either. But nobody is going to yell about Rodgers at this point. Back in October it was a different story though. Funny how the season moving along changes perceptions.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers doesn't miss a wide open Adams and throw an INT, it's probably not close either. But nobody is going to yell about Rodgers at this point. Back in October it was a different story though. Funny how the season moving along changes perceptions.

I yelled at him. I told my brother that was a dumb throw by Rodgers as soon as it happen. Needed to be on the outside shoulder. Rodgers isn't above criticism in my house sir.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I yelled at him. I told my brother that was a dumb throw by Rodgers as soon as it happen. Needed to be on the outside shoulder. Rodgers isn't above criticism in my house sir.
he's good, he's better than good. He's not perfect. just like Ted. Except rodgers gets the next play to make you forget. Things at Ted's level happen over a longer period of time. many more moving parts. Much more to account for. People want to say we should have won by more and blame it on Ted. Well, your first blame should be with our HOF QB. But i wouldn't. that would be ridiculous. I'm not perfect and I can't hold someone to a standard I can't achieve in my own life.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, the Packers have a weakness at corner just like every team in the league has a weakness.

But clearly they've been good enough to overcome it so far, while 28 other teams haven't.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We get to the NFC Championship and people complain we didn't win by enough to get there.

Amazing.
Is that what I said? NOPE! All I said is TT can do better. So you are telling me tt is doing a great job because he drafted 1 guy who is carrying the team. The rest of the guys on d dont matter right. Who cares if they suck lol

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just shows how good Rodgers is that he gets blame for now winning by a bigger margin when he played a nearly perfect game - 1 play ..

I guess some think Rodgers and the offense should have to carry the Defense to the super bowl while scoring 30+

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is that what I said? NOPE! All I said is TT can do better. So you are telling me tt is doing a great job because he drafted 1 guy who is carrying the team. The rest of the guys on d dont matter right. Who cares if they suck lol

You just said TT could do better and mentioned the Dallas game as example as a game they could have done better.

If that's not what you meant in that post, you weren't very clear.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im saying if TT would help out the defense we wouldn't have to score 30+ and we would win more games as well. Im so proud of the offense and the fact that we are in the NFCCG.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's good, he's better than good. He's not perfect. just like Ted. Except rodgers gets the next play to make you forget. Things at Ted's level happen over a longer period of time. many more moving parts. Much more to account for. People want to say we should have won by more and blame it on Ted. Well, your first blame should be with our HOF QB. But i wouldn't. that would be ridiculous. I'm not perfect and I can't hold someone to a standard I can't achieve in my own life.
I agree with this. However, I think you should keep in mind the different perspectives people may be coming from. Some people are very reactionary, others are probably too conservative etc... Personally, I think Thompson is a very good GM and I appreciate his stay the course attitude. However, I do not think he Is above criticism. I do think he should sometimes act in the now when problems and opportunities present themselves. You are correct that we do not know what is going on behind the scenes, but based on actions I often see other teams make, I do believe that Thompson passes on possibilities that he perceives to be risky. Often times he is probably right...but I do think he could have brought somebody in here to help out the secondary. Now, none of this means I want him fired.. he is still better than most in my opinion.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im saying if TT would help out the defense we wouldn't have to score 30+ and we would win more games as well. Im so proud of the offense and the fact that we are in the NFCCG.
you don't think losing 2 starting ILB's for part of the year, coupled with losing 2 starting OLB's only to get them back with 1 good arm and one with a cast had anything to do with this? How about regularly going 5-6 deep in the defensive backfield? sure, blame ted.

Every team has weakness. Every single one. Every team has an identity. i wish it was slightly different, but it's not. we could have had patrick Peterson, Sherman and Shields as our Top 3, this season still wouldn't have gone much differently if on is on IR, and the other 2 have been out with injury or in season surgery for much of the year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with this. However, I think you should keep in mind the different perspectives people may be coming from. Some people are very reactionary, others are probably too conservative etc... Personally, I think Thompson is a very good GM and I appreciate his stay the course attitude. However, I do not think he Is above criticism. I do think he should sometimes act in the now when problems and opportunities present themselves. You are correct that we do not know what is going on behind the scenes, but based on actions I often see other teams make, I do believe that Thompson passes on possibilities that he perceives to be risky. Often times he is probably right...but I do think he could have brought somebody in here to help out the secondary. Now, none of this means I want him fired.. he is still better than most in my opinion.
who? I'm sure he could have found somebody too, but somebody that could actually help? I don't think your run of the mill veteran would have made us appreciably bettter. It would have made things different. Those guys aren't just available and with the amount of injuries we've had every week, run of the mill wasn't covering up for anyone. and besides, many of the big plays we've seen this year have been due to miscommunications in the backfield because guys are constantly being rotated in and out because of injury. I don't see a person jumping on board halfway thru a season fixing that issue. i'm sure someone could have, then we have to know was he available. my guess is probably not. As evidenced by the rarity of in season trades for noteworthy players.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you don't think losing 2 starting ILB's for part of the year, coupled with losing 2 starting OLB's only to get them back with 1 good arm and one with a cast had anything to do with this? How about regularly going 5-6 deep in the defensive backfield? sure, blame ted.

Every team has weakness. Every single one. Every team has an identity. i wish it was slightly different, but it's not. we could have had patrick Peterson, Sherman and Shields as our Top 3, this season still wouldn't have gone much differently if on is on IR, and the other 2 have been out with injury or in season surgery for much of the year.
You can make the same excuse for the sorry defense every year, injury's are a part of the game. The packers defense has sucked for years.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can make the same excuse for the sorry defense every year, injury's are a part of the game. The packers defense has sucked for years.
ha, the guru in Seattle loses 1 freaking player and puts them at the level of GB. LOL yes, injuries are part of the game and there are ZERO teams that have gone thru what GB did this year, other than maybe Pittsburgh, left in this thing.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ilb is not the big problem here. Even if shield was playing our #2 and #3 are still letting their guys run WIDE open down the field lol.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ilb is not the big problem here. Even if shield was playing our #2 and #3 are still letting their guys run WIDE open down the field lol.
just like last year when they were rookies right? do you watch?

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ha, the guru in Seattle loses 1 freaking player and puts them at the level of GB. LOL yes, injuries are part of the game and there are ZERO teams that have gone thru what GB did this year, other than maybe Pittsburgh, left in this thing.
Seattles D was on the decline already that was just the nail. I do agree the injury's are not helping our case here. I still feel TT needs to do a better job on that side of the ball. I will also give him credit for the offense this year going out and getting cook. He was also been great at drafting wrs and the online.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol You were talking about this year right? Im saying this year the Ilbs are not the issue
no, i'm talking about the #2 and #3 with sam shields on the field. You said it wouldn't have mattered this year. I was being sarcastic, as pretty much everyone watching last year was pretty excited about our #2 and #3. Causual fans and experts alike heading into this year

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who? I'm sure he could have found somebody too, but somebody that could actually help? I don't think your run of the mill veteran would have made us appreciably bettter. It would have made things different. Those guys aren't just available and with the amount of injuries we've had every week, run of the mill wasn't covering up for anyone. and besides, many of the big plays we've seen this year have been due to miscommunications in the backfield because guys are constantly being rotated in and out because of injury. I don't see a person jumping on board halfway thru a season fixing that issue. i'm sure someone could have, then we have to know was he available. my guess is probably not. As evidenced by the rarity of in season trades for noteworthy players.
As I alluded to in my post above.... I don't know who. You may be right maybe there was/is no one. Neither of us truly knows. My opinion is there probably was something that could have been tried that wasn't. Yours is that there wasn't. Both of us have no idea. lol. which is why while I feel comfortable critiquing the situation... I am not calling for Thompson's head.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is very true. It is more glaring this year because it seems like every week its a different secondary playing. But this has been an issue for a number of years now. Who is to blame for that? Capers or the CB & Safety coaches?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So did I. I knew a lot of those guys. Dave Nagel and Tabor, i think tabor is now a PT. Mike Ivy was as nice of guy as you'd ever meet. Jeremy Earp is married to one of my friends. Had a lot of fun with V. Jones. Man, those were some fun times. My old roommate was an AT for the football team that year. Never knew this coach though :)
I was there about 10-15 years earlier it sounds like. Great place to go to school. Loved it in Lax.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Expecting perfection is beyond reason. Lombardi understood this:

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

Rodgers remains EXCELLENT despite that one throw.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Back to topic..

Elliot got a new deal and pulled out of the Niner Gm job.

He is posed to be Ted's successor I think