Eliot Wolf / John Dorsey GM threads?/ Browns - Steelers fight

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My wife says the same thing to me when I make the case for why we shouldn't get that sparkling roadster that she saw in the showroom. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Gutekunst has been with the Packers for 18 years and has obviously done a good job with his scouting or they wouldn't have kept him around, nor would the 49ers be considering him for the GM spot. But, can't keep all the good ones and you can only hope they have trained the guys under them well.

Besides the fact that he has been with the Packers for so long, I don't know much about him. Anyone?

D

Deleted member 6794

Gutekunst has been with the Packers for 18 years and has obviously done a good job with his scouting or they wouldn't have kept him around, nor would the 49ers be considering him for the GM spot. But, can't keep all the good ones and you can only hope they have trained the guys under them well.

Besides the fact that he has been with the Packers for so long, I don't know much about him. Anyone?

Gutekunst played on the UW-La Crosse football team before suffering a career ending injury and later served as assistant coach on the team including their 1995 championship squad. He worked as a scouting assistant with the Chiefs in 1998 before joining the Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Gutekunst played on the UW-La Crosse football team before suffering a career ending injury and later served as assistant coach on the team including their 1995 championship squad. He worked as a scouting assistant with the Chiefs in 1998 before joining the Packers.

Im LOL right now.....do you know his shoe size? ;) You have WAY too much information Captain! :tup: LOL

I should have said "Does anyone know much about how his work while with the Packers is perceived?" ;)

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I completely agree with you and that is one of the frustrating things about Thompson. He is always about building for the future instead of for right NOW!

Which has cost us games while wasting Aaron Rodgers. If this current team had at least one good corner the Cowboys game isn't that lose... or do have to worry about winning a shoot out in ATL.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Which has cost us games while wasting Aaron Rodgers. If this current team had at least one good corner the Cowboys game isn't that lose... or do have to worry about winning a shoot out in ATL.

While I agree with this, I think TT or someone else might respond: "We wouldn't be in this position had I had that philosophy in .......fill in date." It's definitely a careful balance of the two things in the NFL.....the right now and the long term and we see how some teams have derailed their future by gambling on the short term.

All in all TT does a pretty decent job of balancing the two IMO and not to start that whole debate up again here. However, you, me and other posters could end up being correct in saying that this season may end up having an asterisk by it for him not making a move on a vet CB mid season.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im LOL right now.....do you know his shoe size? ;) You have WAY too much information Captain! :tup: LOL

I should have said "Does anyone know much about how his work while with the Packers is perceived?" ;)
Lmao I went to UW-L around that time period and I didn't even know that.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and if he wouldn't have been looking towards the future in 2011/12/13, we may be sitting there with some of the other fallen darlings such as San Francisco, Baltimore, New Orleans, etc. We all agree that TT could do more, but his focus on the future is a big reason that we are still relevant in 2016. Don't give me the "we'd be here because of Rodgers" talk because Drew Brees and other good QBs are sitting on the sidelines because their GMs couldn't hold the ship together over the long haul.

Wasting Rodgers would be if we had no shot each season. Giving him the ability to do what he does in the playoffs for 8 of his 9 seasons is not wasting Rodgers' ability. It's supporting it for his entire career. You need to re-evaluate.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With this news of Elliot withdrawing from the 9ers gm position and him staying here under the same title but with a "new deal", I'm just taking a guess here, but it seems like he's next up for our gm job when TT hangs em up and the packers made sure he's aware of that. Blocking him last season and giving him a new deal this season, pack sure are making it known that they want his butt here. It would shock me if he wasn't the next packer gm.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lmao I went to UW-L around that time period and I didn't even know that.
So did I. I knew a lot of those guys. Dave Nagel and Tabor, i think tabor is now a PT. Mike Ivy was as nice of guy as you'd ever meet. Jeremy Earp is married to one of my friends. Had a lot of fun with V. Jones. Man, those were some fun times. My old roommate was an AT for the football team that year. Never knew this coach though :)

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Are you seriously complaining that winning over the number one seed on the road was too close a win?

There sure are a lot of fans that would love to "worry" winning the NFC Championship.

You seem to expect TT to build a team that walks through the playoffs.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you seriously complaining that winning over the number one seed on the road was too close a win?

There sure are a lot of fans that would love to "worry" winning the NFC Championship.

Anything wrong with that as a goal? lol

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol TT can clearly do better. Rodgers is carrying this team, if he had help from the defense we win by 14 easy in the game last week vs Cowboys.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's not what I said at all!! My goodness!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol TT can clearly do better. Rodgers is carrying this team, if he had help from the defense we win by 14 easy in the game last week vs Cowboys.

This is what I'm saying!! Ppl have a hard time comprehending sometimes. If TT did better filling holes sooner and with better talent there would be more jewelry around Packers HQ!!