Draft needs revisited

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did this post over a month ago, but a lot has changed so it's probably worth redoing. I know TT says over and over again we go BPA, but like I said earlier, I think in '08, he does a hybrid BPA/needs draft because we're getting really close to SB status.

If I'm not mistaken, we have 8 picks to work with. Don't be surprised if we end up with 9 or 10. You know how TT loves his draft picks.

QB - We have Aaron Rodgers, Craig Nall, and two FA pickups that are a long shot of making the team. I don't think we'll draft a QB in the first 3 rounds, but there's a very strong chance we draft a QB.

RB - I honestly think we're full here and won't draft a RB unless there's some guy we just can't pass up who falls to us.

WR - Same as RB, but even more unlikely to draft one. We have other needs and our WR position may be the strongest position on the team.

TE - We have Donald Lee, who will be a star in the near future. We lost Bubba Franks to the Jets. Krause caught a whopping 2 passes last year and Humphrey is probably a long shot to make the team. It's highly likely we draft a TE.

OL - It's almost a guarantee we draft an OG and there's a good chance we draft an OT. Cliffy's aged faster than his age suggests. He's gotten a lot of wear and tear on his body. Will Moll replace Cliffy in the near future or will he be a career backup? I'm thinking the latter, unfortunately. So my prediction - we draft one OG and one OT.

DL - Corey Williams departure actually came as a shock to me, but we all know how TT loves both cap space and draft picks. I'm under the impression that MM thinks Harrell is ready and we'll be seeing a lot more of him in the rotation. That's why we were quick to get rid of Williams. We also have 2 solid DTs coming back from IR. KGB playing as a situational player has proven to be a good thing, but Kampman can't play the snaps he's been playing and a DE pick to back up Kampman would be nice.

LB - Poppinga just signed a long term deal. White signed for 2 years, but more as a ST ace. Barnett and Hawk are solid, but we could use a little bit more depth at LB.

DB - Harris and Woodson aren't young any more, but Woodson looks like he's still solid. We have decent Nickel Backs, but against heavy passing teams, we've been taking a beating at that position. As for Safety, I predict Bigby to be a Pro Bowler and Rouse to start by week 8. Collins becomes a solid backup. My prediction - we draft a CB, and maybe even 2.

ST - None. We have our peeps here.

Summary: We draft a QB, a TE, two OL, one DL, one LB, and 2 DBs. If we end up with an extra pick, we get a second TE.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with most of what you said, but....

TE - Krause caught a whopping 2 passes last year and Humphrey is probably a long shot to make the team. It's highly likely we draft a TE.

How many were THROWN to him? Rodgers will have a better rapport with krause cuz they were both backups, but yes, we will likely draft a TE early in the draft.

some Oline depth\battles, some DBs...a DE or DT knowing ted...

should be a fun draft.

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post Zombie, I agree with you for the most part, especially at running back, if by chance in the 3rd or 4th round a pretty good guy falls to us we'll nab him

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zombieslayer said:
TE - Krause caught a whopping 2 passes last year and Humphrey is probably a long shot to make the team. It's highly likely we draft a TE.

How many were THROWN to him? Rodgers will have a better rapport with krause cuz they were both backups, but yes, we will likely draft a TE early in the draft.

should be a fun draft.

First off.... Great Post Zombie. Thanks for allowing us to re-visit it

Secondly... BRILLIANT OBSERVATION... And a great future thread topic Trom.

Arron has been working with/understands Krause due to time they worked togethr on the scout team "O" They may indeed have rythm and understanding of each other that will present an opportunity for Krause as well as few other back up's that Arron has been working with on the scout team daily.

Some times it is all about reps. How many you get, and how many are with the same people.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

Zombieslayer said:

should be a fun draft.

First off.... Great Post Zombie. Thanks for allowing us to re-visit it

Secondly... BRILLIANT OBSERVATION... And a great future thread topic Trom.

Arron has been working with/understands Krause due to time they worked togethr on the scout team "O" They may indeed have rythm and understanding of each other that will present an opportunity for Krause as well as few other back up's that Arron has been working with on the scout team daily.

Some times it is all about reps. How many you get, and how many are with the same people.

also see Ruvell Martin, one of Rodgers guys from preseason games.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did this post over a month ago, but a lot has changed so it's probably worth redoing. I know TT says over and over again we go BPA, but like I said earlier, I think in '08, he does a hybrid BPA/needs draft because we're getting really close to SB status.

If I'm not mistaken, we have 8 picks to work with. Don't be surprised if we end up with 9 or 10. You know how TT loves his draft picks.

QB - We have Aaron Rodgers, Craig Nall, and two FA pickups that are a long shot of making the team. I don't think we'll draft a QB in the first 3 rounds, but there's a very strong chance we draft a QB.

I thought Nall was an Unrestricted Free Agent?

RB - I honestly think we're full here and won't draft a RB unless there's some guy we just can't pass up who falls to us.

WR - Same as RB, but even more unlikely to draft one. We have other needs and our WR position may be the strongest position on the team.

The only way we take a wide receiver is if someone falls to us that is just over and above rated higher then where we are picking, but as for Running Back, I think we will draft one, you can never have enough backs whether you use them on Teams or with the Offense, I'm just not sure how high they might look to draft one.

TE - We have Donald Lee, who will be a star in the near future. We lost Bubba Franks to the Jets. Krause caught a whopping 2 passes last year and Humphrey is probably a long shot to make the team. It's highly likely we draft a TE.

TE is a possible need, but there are only a handful of solid Tight Ends this year. You might see TT draft a Full Back who can line up at Tight End, FUll Back etc to fill that need, and catch the ball in the flat. Someone like Owen Schmitt FB, WVU.

OL - It's almost a guarantee we draft an OG and there's a good chance we draft an OT. Cliffy's aged faster than his age suggests. He's gotten a lot of wear and tear on his body. Will Moll replace Cliffy in the near future or will he be a career backup? I'm thinking the latter, unfortunately. So my prediction - we draft one OG and one OT.

I agree here as well, we need to spend at least one high draft pick on the Offensive line, the only question is will it be tackle or Guard. Most mocks I've seen leave the possibility of Sam Baker in the first, or one of the Guards after albert in the 2nd or 3rd.

DL - Corey Williams departure actually came as a shock to me, but we all know how TT loves both cap space and draft picks. I'm under the impression that MM thinks Harrell is ready and we'll be seeing a lot more of him in the rotation. That's why we were quick to get rid of Williams. We also have 2 solid DTs coming back from IR. KGB playing as a situational player has proven to be a good thing, but Kampman can't play the snaps he's been playing and a DE pick to back up Kampman would be nice.

I think we may draft a Defensive End, perhaps someone with some speed and strength like Johnny ****** of WVU (Not saying we pick him exactly, but he's the sort of DE I can see us going after). However, I've seen a few mocks were guys like Lawrence Jackson are available when we pick so eh.

LB - Poppinga just signed a long term deal. White signed for 2 years, but more as a ST ace. Barnett and Hawk are solid, but we could use a little bit more depth at LB.

DB - Harris and Woodson aren't young any more, but Woodson looks like he's still solid. We have decent Nickel Backs, but against heavy passing teams, we've been taking a beating at that position. As for Safety, I predict Bigby to be a Pro Bowler and Rouse to start by week 8. Collins becomes a solid backup. My prediction - we draft a CB, and maybe even 2.

I think we are stuck with what we have at Safety, and at Corner, we will draft one, the only question is do we draft a high one, or one for depth.