Draft needs 2022 my opinion

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With 8 picks in the upcoming draft and no 6th rounder we need to make the best of them. This is just one man's list of what this team needs. Also I am not predicting what we would get in the 2022 with a Rodgers trade. I'm just posting needs based on the 8 picks.

QB: Let's be honest we know we're trading Rodgers, and we don't really know what we have with Love. We think we got the next guy, but we're not willing to bet everything on him yet. We need a backup QB, and if Love isn't the guy a guy who can either be QBOF or a bridge to QBOF.

WR: We know Davante is pretty much gone. EQSTB is at least a year away from taking that spot if at all. We need 1 for sure maybe 2. I think Ronnie Bell on Day 3 if the knee is sound would be a great pick as he's about Davante Adams' size.

TE: We know Tonyan should be back by mid-season 2022, but my question is can we do better? Is Deguara the guy? Without knowing these answers I think we need to try to get a playmaker at TE.

OT: Let's be honest Billy Turner is serviceable but not great. Nijman is he a primary backup or a starter? We need someone that can come in take that RT spot Week 1...unless we think a guy like Runyan can take that spot or until we know Nijman is more than the primary backup. I will also say Bakhtiari's rehab is a bit of a concern but I think we're still a year or two away from looking for his replacement.

G: I've never been sold on Lucas Patrick as a starter whether at C or G. I had hoped Newman would take the RG spot, but he's proven that with everyone healthy he's #6 or #7 in the room. I believe he can improve, but I've watched football for 40 years and would prefer to have a backup plan if he can't.

DL: I like what I saw from Keke, and Slaton. Heflin showed very little and I would hope he improves, Kenny Clarke remains a beast...thing is nobody has pushed Lowry and Lancaster out of the lineup and or out the door. We need an upgrade in this unit.

OLB/Edge: I would move on from BOTH Smiths at this point. Preston has been underwhelming and Zadarius is a beast when healthy, but with a back issue how healthy is he gonna stay going forward. Garvin was inactive when needed. Mercilus might get us another quality year might not. We need someone opposite Rashan Gary.

ILB: I love Barnes and Campbell together LOVE THEM! Thing is I thought I heard within the last week Campbell was only on a 1 year deal. I would love to see him brought back on a 2-3 year deal. In lieu of that we need to draft a difference maker at Inside Linebacker. Is Nakobe Dean the guy in Round 1? Is it someone else? From the teams I've seen the draft is pretty deep at this position. I also think it's time to move on from Burks for sure, and maybe even Summers who I love. Is McDuffie a starter? We don't know that yet. As I see it we may need 2 at this position. 1 to start and 1 for depth. If Campbell re-signs I say we just need 1 for depth, and hopefully an upgrade from either Burks or Summers.

S: 8 weeks ago I was NOT worried about this position, I am now. Savage seemed loss from about Week 12 forward. Can Vernon become the starter? Maybe. If not unless we can do something in free agency we need to draft a starter here.

I know I have listed 10 things for 8 picks. Hopefully a couple of the holes fill themselves with development or free agency. As always I'd love to hear other opinions.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay couple things and please don't take offense but mild quick research will help with most of this:

WR: We know Davante is pretty much gone. EQSTB is at least a year away from taking that spot if at all. We need 1 for sure maybe 2. I think Ronnie Bell on Day 3 if the knee is sound would be a great pick as he's about Davante Adams' size.
EQSB was cut this year and cleared waivers and brought back then on one year deal - he isn't part of the team in future as of now. Could change. Only Amari and Randall presently have deals through 2022 or more on the roster. Granted one would expect RFA Lazard will be tendered possibly and some of the low level guys like Winfree and EQSB be given potential low cost deals.

TE: We know Tonyan should be back by mid-season 2022, but my question is can we do better? Is Deguara the guy? Without knowing these answers I think we need to try to get a playmaker at TE.
Tonyan is also not part of the team in 2022 presently as his contract expired - he could be again, but as of no nope.

OT: Let's be honest Billy Turner is serviceable but not great. Nijman is he a primary backup or a starter? We need someone that can come in take that RT spot Week 1...unless we think a guy like Runyan can take that spot or until we know Nijman is more than the primary backup. I will also say Bakhtiari's rehab is a bit of a concern but I think we're still a year or two away from looking for his replacement.

G: I've never been sold on Lucas Patrick as a starter whether at C or G. I had hoped Newman would take the RG spot, but he's proven that with everyone healthy he's #6 or #7 in the room. I believe he can improve, but I've watched football for 40 years and would prefer to have a backup plan if he can't.

Lucas Patrick again like others isn't part of the team in 2022 presently. Likewise Yosh isn't either. I concur OL, as Gute has made clear, is a spot we will see a pick or two happen with - whether Yosh or a draftee I expect Turner to be cut for cap savings.

DL: I like what I saw from Keke, and Slaton. Heflin showed very little and I would hope he improves, Kenny Clarke remains a beast...thing is nobody has pushed Lowry and Lancaster out of the lineup and or out the door. We need an upgrade in this unit.

So...Keke isn't even on the team and was released last week before we lost in the playoffs. Presently Clark, Slaton and Lowry are only ones signed to see 2022.
OLB/Edge: I would move on from BOTH Smiths at this point. Preston has been underwhelming and Zadarius is a beast when healthy, but with a back issue how healthy is he gonna stay going forward. Garvin was inactive when needed. Mercilus might get us another quality year might not. We need someone opposite Rashan Gary.
Z is gone for both back and the fact that if he stays he presently hits us with a cap hit of $27.6 Million. Mercilus isn't on our roster for 2022.

ILB: I love Barnes and Campbell together LOVE THEM! Thing is I thought I heard within the last week Campbell was only on a 1 year deal. I would love to see him brought back on a 2-3 year deal. In lieu of that we need to draft a difference maker at Inside Linebacker. Is Nakobe Dean the guy in Round 1? Is it someone else? From the teams I've seen the draft is pretty deep at this position. I also think it's time to move on from Burks for sure, and maybe even Summers who I love. Is McDuffie a starter? We don't know that yet. As I see it we may need 2 at this position. 1 to start and 1 for depth. If Campbell re-signs I say we just need 1 for depth, and hopefully an upgrade from either Burks or Summers.
*Dean is nasty good IMO, few others as well could step in for sure. Yes Campbell is a one year deal and presently not signed for 2022. Burks is also not signed for 2022 as well.

S: 8 weeks ago I was NOT worried about this position, I am now. Savage seemed loss from about Week 12 forward. Can Vernon become the starter? Maybe. If not unless we can do something in free agency we need to draft a starter here.

I also expect S to be given consideration quite a bit, and if Rodgers is traded and we have some serious equity I could almost see a safety picked before the end of Day 2 by us.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I know I have listed 10 things for 8 picks. Hopefully a couple of the holes fill themselves with development or free agency. As always I'd love to hear other opinions.
You also listed every spot on the roster except ST, CB, and RB. I expect later round iOL to keep the pipeline full. High need is WR. The offense spends too much time trying to get DA17 open that another top 20 WR would alleviate. I wanted OBJ or Desean Jackson for the 1 year rental for this reason. Plus DA17 is most likely gone. Another edge to rest what we have. A RB replacement in year two for Jones. Also need the stud iLB after Campbell showed what is possible with one. That takes up most picks available as we never depend on just one.
If AR12 leaves, we'll get some more picks to throw at QB and DB's.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You also listed every spot on the roster except ST, CB, and RB. I expect later round iOL to keep the pipeline full. High need is WR. The offense spends too much time trying to get DA17 open that another top 20 WR would alleviate. I wanted OBJ or Desean Jackson for the 1 year rental for this reason. Plus DA17 is most likely gone. Another edge to rest what we have. A RB replacement in year two for Jones. Also need the stud iLB after Campbell showed what is possible with one. That takes up most picks available as we never depend on just one.

I had to laugh at your opening line.

OP
OP
R

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Poppa San, we DO need a LS, but usually we see those as FA than drafted. CB we don't need and RB we don't need this year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poppa San, we DO need a LS, but usually we see those as FA than drafted. CB we don't need and RB we don't need this year.

CB we literally have Stokes, SJC and Jaire signed for 2022....we have three guys - one which is not ready to see the field.

OP
OP
R

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not gonna be directed to your own thread. If it's not here and you claim something on this thread it should be on THIS thread.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not gonna be directed to your own thread. If it's not here and you claim something on this thread it should be on THIS thread.

Oh my word you’re just crazy. Your own thread makes claims which are not true in your own thread.

Rodgers, Love, Benkert and Etling are signed - all four ended season with team and last two were signed to future/reserve contracts.

Seriously there is too much to repost here to inform you of actually signed players ….but clearly you don’t care so carry on. Look forward to seeing how Keke and Lancaster do on your 2022 Packers roster.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts