Declined Perry's Option...thoughts on what will happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at this point, I don't think anybody would be offering big money for Perry. Last year was his first really healthy one and I think he was pretty decent and could use that as a spring board into another productive season, but I also have to wonder about his mental make up and heart. I have no solid data that i can point to, but it's just a feeling from comments made by the staff in the past and his production at times that maybe he has a motivation problem or something?

I don't think he's a bad guy or anything like that, but some guys are naturally motivated and some aren't though they have a lot of talent. He can definitely set the edge in the run game. He's very strong, though a bull rush seems to be his only pass rush move. That's ok if he can consistently squeeze the pocket and you have other guys coming from other angles, but on his own I don't think he's worth a big contract to us or anyone else at this point.

D

Deleted member 6794

No surprise the Packers didn´t pick up Perry´s fifth-year option. I guess we will get another average season out of him in 2015 and expect him to sign with a team playing a 4-3 defense next offseason.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at this point, I don't think anybody would be offering big money for Perry. Last year was his first really healthy one and I think he was pretty decent and could use that as a spring board into another productive season, but I also have to wonder about his mental make up and heart. I have no solid data that i can point to, but it's just a feeling from comments made by the staff in the past and his production at times that maybe he has a motivation problem or something?

I don't think he's a bad guy or anything like that, but some guys are naturally motivated and some aren't though they have a lot of talent. He can definitely set the edge in the run game. He's very strong, though a bull rush seems to be his only pass rush move. That's ok if he can consistently squeeze the pocket and you have other guys coming from other angles, but on his own I don't think he's worth a big contract to us or anyone else at this point.
I think you pretty well sum up the situation with Perry. The Packers vote of "no confidence" means he's going to have to be significantly more productive than his record so far. He's been given plenty of time. He's average, at best, and I don't see him here in 2016. I hope I'm wrong. Same feeling BTW about Datone Jones.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are hoping that by not extending his contract, he will be motivated to play his best. What happens after that is too soon to speculate. He's not worth anything to this team if he can't continue improving his play.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's as good as gone...just another wasted first rd pick when there was better value. Dhaytone jones is next don't worry. TT isn't good at drafting guys on defense that's no secret.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He found a small role as a situational pass rusher last season. I could see giving him a small deal to keep that role.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's as good as gone...just another wasted first rd pick when there was better value. Dhaytone jones is next don't worry. TT isn't good at drafting guys on defense that's no secret.

Who would you have taken instead? From what I remember it was pretty much between Upshaw and Perry and if I'm not mistaken Upshaw hasn't amounted to much either.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are hoping that by not extending his contract, he will be motivated to play his best. What happens after that is too soon to speculate. He's not worth anything to this team if he can't continue improving his play.
Dis-agree. I think we could have traded him before the draft to a team that needs a 4-3 DE. But thats not how GB rolls. They see contracts through. They rarely cut guys early. If they do plan to move on from a player, they let the contract play out, and find their replacment early.

I guess the whole dead cap space thing, and being accountable for your contracts and with players thing. ugh. I like the good ol days of madden. Four 1st round picks every year. Trade aging stars as soon as they start slowing down, and back ups that are too good for more 1st round picks. But before all that, turn off the salary cap. LOL!

D

Deleted member 6794

He found a small role as a situational pass rusher last season. I could see giving him a small deal to keep that role.

Perry is actually a pretty good run defender for a 3-4 OLB but doesn´t offer a whole lot in rushing the passer.

Who would you have taken instead? From what I remember it was pretty much between Upshaw and Perry and if I'm not mistaken Upshaw hasn't amounted to much either.

It was pretty obvious to most people that Perry wouldn´t be a great fit in a 3-4 defense. I didn´t like the pick at the time it happened.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry is actually a pretty good run defender for a 3-4 OLB but doesn´t offer a whole lot in rushing the passer.

It was pretty obvious to most people that Perry wouldn´t be a great fit in a 3-4 defense. I didn´t like the pick at the time it happened.

My bad. Then I could see keeping him on a small deal to help in running situations.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He hasn't been a complete bust, but he hasn't lived up to expectations either. I'm thinking the Packers can get similar production out of a mid-rounder for less money.

D

Deleted member 6794

My bad. Then I could see keeping him on a small deal to help in running situations.

I don´t think Perry has any interest in re-signing with the Packers. He clearly stated before the draft that he would prefer to play in a 4-3 defense and I expect him to sign with a team running that scheme next offseason.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t think Perry has any interest in re-signing with the Packers. He clearly stated before the draft that he would prefer to play in a 4-3 defense and I expect him to sign with a team running that scheme next offseason.

Yup....which is why I'd have shopped him around...and would still up to the trade deadline....even if all you get is a conditional...better than nothing.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yup....which is why I'd have shopped him around...and would still up to the trade deadline....even if all you get is a conditional...better than nothing.

I don´t want to trade him because currently he´s by far the team´s best run defender at OLB.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t want to trade him because currently he´s by far the team´s best run defender at OLB.

I'll grant you that....I'm just not a huge fan of getting nothing in return for losing someone. I guess I hope his deal is big enough to net us a 7th or 6th round comp pick (doubt it though...but he could play into one).

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry has a year to prove himself. If he stays healthy and proves to be the pass rusher that most thought he could be, then the Packers will sign him to a long-term deal (probably at the expense of Peppers). If Perry continues to be the player he's been recently, then I would expect Perry just goes to a team that sees him as a 4-3 DE (the position he actually said he wanted to play coming out of college) and the Packers are back to square one in trying to find someone opposite Matthews.

H

HardRightEdge

There was no way the Packers would pay Perry $7.75 mil for 2016 under the option.

It's also worth noting that Neal will also be a FA after 2015, and frankly he's given the Packers more at OLB than Perry by virtue of second effort alone, while also providing some scheme versatility as a serviceable nickel DT pass rusher in spot duty. In the end, 3-4 OLBs that can hold the point of attack, bull rush and are bad in coverage are a dime a dozen. Has Perry, or Neal for that matter, given us more than Frank Zombo, who was not deemed worth of a modest second contract?

The more Matthews plays at ILB, the more acute the issue becomes.

Then there's the question of how long Peppers will remain highly productive, with a $10.5 mil cap number for 2016, $8 mil in cap savings if released.

I suspect at this time next season we'll be talking about the edge rusher need the way ILB and cornerback were discussed this year, if ILB is still not high on the list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was no way the Packers would pay Perry $7.75 mil for 2016 under the option.

It's also worth noting that Neal will also be a FA after 2015, and frankly he's given the Packers more at OLB than Perry by virtue of second effort alone, while also providing some scheme versatility as a serviceable nickel DT pass rusher in spot duty. In the end, 3-4 OLBs that can hold the point of attack, bull rush and are bad in coverage are a dime a dozen. Has Perry, or Neal for that matter, given us more than Frank Zombo, who was not deemed worth of a modest second contract?

The more Matthews plays at ILB, the more acute the issue becomes.

Then there's the question of how long Peppers will remain highly productive, with a $10.5 mil cap number for 2016, $8 mil in cap savings if released.

I suspect at this time next seasons we'll be talking about the edge rusher need the way ILB and cornerback were discussed this year, if ILB is still not high on the list.
I can see a similar situation with Neal and Perry as we had at CB this year. out of the 2 I think Neal has done better than average once his health wasn't such a factor and he wasn't flopping back and forth with new positions while transferring to the NFL. If he stays healthy and productive I think he'll generate some outside interest. I think Perry finally showed some upside last year again while staying mostly healthy and he is stout against the run and provides a good bullrush. I think he can be a compliment piece on a defense, not your center piece, but others might view him that way in a 4-3.

There's a good chance neither is really worth a large contract, but someone outside the Packers will give them one, like House and they'll be gone because they've shown enough, but always had a history of health concerns that left the packers not wanting to commit big dollars. and Peppers might not decline, he might just retire after this year. OLB could be a bigger hole than ILB was this year, but i guess we never know what's going to happen until it does. If I had to make a guess right now, I'd say at least Neal gets signed again

H

HardRightEdge

There's a good chance neither is really worth a large contract, but someone outside the Packers will give them one, like House....
I doubt that. Neal has a better chance at a decent contract than Perry, but nothing like House's $6 mil per year deal. Guys who get penciled in as a #2 cover corner (or is it #1 opposite McCray) as in Houses' case command decent coin; 3-4 OLBs without pass rush bona fides are less in demand.

Walden got a 4 year / $16 mil deal when he left for Indy to play 4-3 Sam backer. Walden is a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none player, a better fit at 4-3 Sam than either Neal or Perry, while these two Packer incumbents are not going to valued as edge rushers in 3-4. I could see Neal getting a fair offer to play 4-3 strong side DE, but nothing like House's numbers.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Kampman was the same way when we switched to the 3-4.

There's the adage that you can't pound a round peg into a square hole, but this is a chance for players to make millions. At 22 years old they should be willing and able to make changes to their game to fit into a scheme. Older vets should still follow that too. Once you start believing you are too old to change, you have become too old to play the game of football or life.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I only meant to compare the situation in that we could be losing important pieces that have had ups and downs with the packers. I don't think they'll get deal's like House, just that someone will covet them much more than the Packers will because they've shown upside at times and someone will over value it

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dis-agree. I think we could have traded him before the draft to a team that needs a 4-3 DE. But thats not how GB rolls. They see contracts through. They rarely cut guys early. If they do plan to move on from a player, they let the contract play out, and find their replacment early.
I understand your point but also believe there is a distinction between letting veteran contracts play out and rookie contracts. You should be able to tell relatively quickly with veterans whether they are going to work in a scheme on a particular team. More often than not rookies take a few years to figure out the game, adjust to the speed, develop, and mature. I'm mostly for letting rookie contracts play out except in egregious cases like Justin Harrell.

In this case, Perry hasn't shown that he deserves a fifth year and he may well get cut prior to the season if he can't outplay or show more upside than the young bucks that will be in camp. However, I'm willing to see if he can turn it up in his fourth year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other than Perry simply quitting football, I don't see anyway he is not on this team's final roster this year. Despite his injuries and everything else, he is pretty good against the run, and does serve as a piece in the pass rush

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts