1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Datone Jones

Discussion in '2013 Draft Archive' started by BorderRivals.com, Apr 24, 2013.

1. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +519
    Datone Jones did not fit into the defensive scheme well at all in 2013 from what I could tell. If Capers and co. are talking about an overhaul of the defense, this may be part of the reason behind it. Whatever else he is, Capers is no idiot and if scheme was holding Jones back, I'm sure he realizes it.

2. packrulz

packrulz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    On their team roster, the Ravens have McPhee listed at DE, 6-3, 280 lbs. http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/roster.html

3. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,671
    I really don´t know why the Ravens have him listed as DE, he played on the DL during his first two seasons, but primarily at OLB this season (as a situational player as well).

4. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,858
    Oh, I get it. Its another clever ruse. Its all a clever ruse. All your posts, that were misleading, disingenuous, and just wrong - it was all a purposeful plan to the conclusion that the whole defense sucks!

How are you going to turn this around, though, when Jones comes out in 2014 and kicks butt? I know, you will say, 'see, he has gained some strength in the offseason and is now a force, I was correct.'

Truth of the matter is your expectations are wrong. Jones showed something, flashes of dominance early in the season, prior to his injury. He doesn't look anything like Neal, he has a completely different game than Neal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,189
    IMO that's true if you're talking about DE in the base D. But if Jones showed a consistent pass rush in a sub package he would have fit the scheme perfectly - and the sub packages were used more often than the base D.

6. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,557
    Yes, the defense is not very good at all. Whether the term "suck" comes into the vocabulary remains to be seen. Free agency will be a key determinant.

You can call it a ruse or disingenousness if you like. I prefer to think of it as working through a logical path. We have a disjointed mix of talent and guys out of their natural positions, Jones included.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,671
    I think that it was pretty obvious to everyone that our base defense last season was schemed around having three big bodies on the field. It´s fine that some smaller guys had success playing in a 3-4 for a different team, IMO it was crystal clear that Datone wasn´t a perfect fit in the Packers 3-4 base defense last season.

It seems like Capers will use a different scheme next season which could fit Datone way better, but we still have to wait and see how that works out.