Datone Jones suspended for season opener

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh well, his impact since he was drafted has been slim to none. I wish TT could redo that pick over smh. Then again he'd probably still get it wrong and take Jones.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Oh well, his impact since he was drafted has been slim to none.

Datone significantly improved as a pass rusher in 2014 and I'm absolutely convinced the Packers are counting on him to provide some pass rush in subpackages this season. Unfortunaty he has to make major improvements against the run to be able to become a three down player, something you would want your first-rounder to become.

H

HardRightEdge

I have to say, I'm not to concerned about this latest allegation against Guion. Something just seems like a money grab and a chance to kick a guy when he's down by someone with a vendetta. Maybe not, but I'm guessing not much comes of it.
That's a reasonable guess. Given the number of instances where law enforcement has abused civil forfeiture law to feather their own beds, both cases might be cash grabs.

Or, as you say, maybe not.

Imagine if the NFL rendered a decision on the marijuana bust, and then new facts came to light in the civil forfeiture case? Now, the case brought by the boyfriend of the ex-girlfriend is evidently in the early stages; the facts of that case must be ascertained, no matter how bogus the claims may appear on the surface.

As noted previously, a failed drug test falls under the NFL's drug abuse policy and remediation programs as hammered out in the CBA and subsequent agreements between the union and the league. Other criminal and non-criminal conduct, including getting busted for drugs or threatening some guy, that is deemed "detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the National Football League” can be punished under the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy administered by the Commissioner.

Here's what that policy says, if anybody is interested:

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/personal-conduct-policy.pdf

The season opener is only a little more than two months away. These civil cases may not be resolved by then.

What will the NFL do then? Guion is due a one game minimum suspension for the simple fact he was busted with marijuana, regardless of quantity, as in the Blount case. I have not read where he claims the cops planted it, right? He pleaded it out and paid a fine, which amounts to admission of guilt at least on possession. But might he be due more than one game once all the facts are known? Might they hit him with one game, then hit him again later if the league investigation is not complete by Sept. 13? Might they wait altogether and hit him during the season when all the facts are in?

It's an interesting situation, and one that no doubt frustrates the coaches' planning process.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

The Packers must be really hard up for Dline help. Guion has too much baggage. Why do we need this aggravation?
Well, my top line analysis would be as follows:

Daniels is an above average 3-4 DE and a 3-down player. Guion is round-about an average player, maybe a little above given his versatility and the roster flexibility it affords...base NT, 4-tech DE, 3-tech DT. He's at least serviceable at all those spots. After Daniels, Guion is the only guy who might qualify as a 3-downer at least in rotation.

After that? There are big question marks, developmental issues, and some notable deficiencies.

In context, yeah, the Packers need this guy.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Daniels is an above average 3-4 DE and a 3-down player. Guion is round-about an average player, maybe a little above given his versatility and the roster flexibility it affords...base NT, 4-tech DE, 3-tech DT. He's at least serviceable at all those spots. After Daniels, Guion is the only guy who might qualify as a 3-downer at least in rotation.

After that? There are big question marks, developmental issues, and some notable deficiencies.

The Packers most likely expect Raji to return to being a three down player. I don't count on it though until proven wrong by his play in the regular season.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Packers most likely expect Raji to return to being a three down player. I don't count on it though until proven wrong by his play in the regular season.
I think the Packers are counting on him to start at NT in the base, but I'll be surprised if he gets the second most snaps in the 2 DL sub packages, although Jones' suspension opens the door for that in the opener.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I think the Packers are counting on him to start at NT in the base, but I'll be surprised if he gets the second most snaps in the 2 DL sub packages, although Jones' suspension opens the door for that in the opener.

I expect Daniels and Jones to get the most snaps inside in subpackages as well but Raji could be part of the rotation rushing the passer.

Jz3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones has been a bust before he was even drafted. Was a reach and a dumb pick. Lacy should of been our first round pick and lucky its about who you know not how talented you are for most NFL GM's and we got Lacy in the second.

Lacy makes this wasted pick not hurt as much.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Jones has been a bust before he was even drafted. Was a reach and a dumb pick. Lacy should of been our first round pick and lucky its about who you know not how talented you are for most NFL GM's and we got Lacy in the second.

Datone is an ideal fit for a 3-4 defense and was widely regarded as a first-round talent before the 2013 draft. A ton of draft picks don't pan out but there's no reason to blame Thompson for it.

In addition TT did everything right in evaluating Lacy's draft stock, even acquiring an additional pick before selecting him.

If you really want to talk about a wasted first-round pick you have to look at Nick Perry's selection.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
captainWIMM, keep in mind in that poster's first post here he wrote this about Thompson, "I feel like he doesn't even understand free agency, trades or even player contracts". Nothing wrong with criticizing Thompson but IMO that statement is just foolish.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Datone significantly improved as a pass rusher in 2014 and I'm absolutely convinced the Packers are counting on him to provide some pass rush in subpackages this season. Unfortunaty he has to make major improvements against the run to be able to become a three down player, something you would want your first-rounder to become.

I don't see it...I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I watch EVERY Packer game and I've honestly forgotten several times that he plays for us smh.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
captainWIMM, keep in mind in that poster's first post here he wrote this about Thompson, "I feel like he doesn't even understand free agency, trades or even player contracts". Nothing wrong with criticizing Thompson but IMO that statement is just foolish.
Agree, especially seeing that three NFL media experts just gave him the highest grade of any GM in the league.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'd guess it's a second positive marijuana test. The first positive test of a non-performance enhancing drug gets you in the remediation program, which includes rounds of counceling and testing; the second infraction gets you at least a partial season suspension; the third could cost you a full year. The league is trying to go lighter on THC...the fact it was one game suggests marijuana.

According to several reports Datone Jones was suspended because he was cited for marijuana possession in Green Bay the day after the NFCCG and paid a $880 fine. There was no failed test involved.

H

HardRightEdge

According to several reports Datone Jones was suspended because he was cited for marijuana possession in Green Bay the day after the NFCCG and paid a $880 fine. There was no failed test involved.
That's consistent with the Blount circumstances and the league going easy on simple possession busts.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why don't these guys just get a scrip for medical marijuana? Does the NFL recognize those? LOL

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Why don't these guys just get a scrip for medical marijuana? Does the NFL recognize those? LOL

Medical marijuana isn´t legal in Wisconsin, so that isn´t an option for Packers players. I don´t like the league´s decision to suspend Datone in this case as he didn´t fail any test and they would have even heard about a Seahawks or Broncos player possessing marijuana as it´s legal in Washington and Colorado respectively.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes players are late bloomers in the NFL. I'm not judging Jones yet. I'm giving him this season before I do judge him. Its been long enough.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't get why people insist on judging how good a player is, especially a dlineman, in one or two years. Jones first season was pretty much a mulligan due ot his ankle injury and last season (his second year) he was actually a pretty good pass rusher for a 3-4 end. His biggest issue is the run and he won't earn the playing time to demonstrate whether his pass rush skills are the product of a small sample size or something he can do consistently. If he's a good player in his third season I wouldn't call him a late bloomer, I'd say his development was about in line with what it should be.

H

HardRightEdge

Medical marijuana isn´t legal in Wisconsin, so that isn´t an option for Packers players. I don´t like the league´s decision to suspend Datone in this case as he didn´t fail any test and they would have even heard about a Seahawks or Broncos player possessing marijuana as it´s legal in Washington and Colorado respectively.
The CBA prohibits "illegal use" of marijuana, yet does not recognize state and local recreational legalization. One presumes the NFL defers to federal law that prohibits marijuana nationally, even if the feds have chosen not to challenge the state and local jurisdictions. Until recently, banks would not offer services to "legal" medical marijuana operations, and most still won't, in fear the Feds will start up an enforcement program and the banks would be subject to money laundering charges.

While it can be argued that NFL policy is lagging and somewhat conflicted, the fact of the matter is that some number of laws vary from place to place. Being in violation of the law in one place for one thing while being untouched in another for the same thing is a fact of life under the US federal system, even if marijuana is the most high profile instance at this time.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah the federal government needs to legalize marijauna. There are just too many states that have it for medical purposes. One of the uses for medical marijauna is the enhancement of anti-imflamatory drugs. People with arthritis can benefit from this.

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah the federal government needs to legalize marijauna. There are just too many states that have it for medical purposes. One of the uses for medical marijauna is the enhancement of anti-imflamatory drugs. People with arthritis can benefit from this.
There are lots of diagnoses that can benefit according to current medical practice once the politics are taken out of the equation. As regards the specific football issue, team doctors are free to prescribe highly addictive narcotic pain killers while a growing number of players are being vocal about preferring the more benign THC for that purpose.

The NFL has a semi-"don't ask, don't tell" policy, probably encouraged, if not insisted upon, by the union. There is no "recreational" drug testing, as distinct from performance enhancing drug testing, starting in early August, right around the time of the start of training camp. It doesn't resume until the following April. The exceptions are those players who have previously tested positive or been criminally charged who end up in the "program" with an extended testing regime.

So, if a player confines his marijuana use to pain relief during the part of the year where there is football contact, and stops right after the end of the season, while avoiding getting busted (which shouldn't be that hard), he has free sailing. If the insiders who contend that 60% of NFL players use marijuana are even half right, the fact so few players end up suspended (we don't know how many are in the "program") would suggest that most players confine themselves to marijuana use in-season.

In the final analysis, politics and legalities aside, if a player finds that smoking a couple of doobies after the game and on the Monday off-day provides the same pain relief as vicodin + alcohol (as in one notable case many readers here might recall), that should be considered preferable. It would stand to reason the same logic would apply to some other pain-related conditions outside football.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed. i reference tauscher and an under acheiving 2nd round pick at lt, chad clifton. seen their development as the normal route to all-pro status. every once in a while you get a rookie munoz or pace that dominates day 1. but mid-late 20's before they become full grown nfl specimans. trenches are no place for most underclassmen. jones has some stripes to earn yet. but he will get there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts