Daryn Colledge

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's got the look! he's got the look!

And the award for the gayest statement ever, goes to... *opening envelope, reading name* Bozz!

"Oh jeez, i never thought i'd win. it's just an honor being nominated etc."

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was a great pick for GB in my opinion. I think he'll be a fine inside lineman with the flexibility to fill in outside when needed or called upon.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
another very important thing to note, is hes getting work at LG, and will probably continue to work there.

Sherman would move people all around and guys would never get comfortable, including last years 7th round rookie thrown into the fire, William Whitticker.

If colledge can get consistent work at LG(and it looks like he will, easilly) then it should work out there.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
another very important thing to note, is hes getting work at LG, and will probably continue to work there.

Sherman would move people all around and guys would never get comfortable, including last years 7th round rookie thrown into the fire, William Whitticker.

If colledge can get consistent work at LG(and it looks like he will, easilly) then it should work out there.

Whitt was put in as RG and stayed there... Sherman's mistake last year was sticking with an OL that wasn't working instead of moving guys around.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no. He changed things. Things he shoulda changed(Klemm), he didn't(Until it was too late).

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
MinnesotaSucks said:
He'll be a starter.
eventually just probably not to start the year

He's already penicled in as the starter in a position where we lack quanity. He'll start this year. He fits the scheme and plays in it well.

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.957176+-
porky88 said:
thetombradyhater said:
MinnesotaSucks said:
He'll be a starter.

He's already penicled in as the starter in a position where we lack quanity. He'll start this year. He fits the scheme and plays in it well.
i guess your right i underestimated the shityness of our o-line and mel kiper seemed to say he was more of a project than an immediate guy and it might take a year to start...on a team with a decent o-line

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
porky88 said:
thetombradyhater said:
MinnesotaSucks said:
He'll be a starter.

i guess your right i underestimated the shityness of our o-line and mel kiper seemed to say he was more of a project than an immediate guy and it might take a year to start...on a team with a decent o-line

Mel Kiper is a great scout but he doesn't know can about the NFL teams especially a team like Green BAy. He'll likely start and do pretty well because of a scheme. In a power blocking scheme he'd be a project at LT. In the zone he's built to make an impact at guard or tackle.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
no. He changed things. Things he shoulda changed(Klemm), he didn't(Until it was too late).

Whitt stayed at RG the whole time and Sherman left him as the starter even though it was obvious he wasn't ready to be the full-time starter.

Whitt was the best athlete there and flashed signs of being very solid, but he wasn't consistent enough last year. He should have started Ruegy at the beginning to provide stability and leadership on a stumbling OL.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Where do you come up with this ****?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he will do well at all. I am not just being negative so save the bashing. He should do well in getting in position and scraping to the LB but when he gets there his high center of gravity will result in him being pushed on his backside. It's all about proper footwork, leg strength and hand placement when you are "light".

It can be coached but as with any other rookie,until you step on to an NFL field on gameday against the best in the world, it probably will not sink in.

Honestly fromwhat I have read Moll may be the best at the actual "block phase' of this system. I know everybody wants to paint a rosey picture and I wish I could feel as confident as some of you but I just don't see it. I have nightmares thinking about a zone-blocking scheme getting blown up. It's very ugly.

I also worry that Brett may find Defenses breathing down his neck a little more than he should. It's great to have the athletic guys for run-blocking but against the pass it's Technique vs Technique and then Power vs Power. It's not a battle I see our guys winning anytime soon.

Go ahead bash me now for being realistic.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pyle,
I see no reason to bash the concerns. I do think that Colledge has all of the athletic talent needed for this system and if it's center of gravity issues those can be worked on. Having the quickness and mobility the player just has to have.
Throwing a rookie in there is always dangerous and not having the strength to stand against a bull rush is obviously concerning.

This, in part, can be offset somewhat by the shortening of the routes and time Brett needs to deliver the ball.

The kid could step up and do a real good job but the best case scenario might be a June cut casualty that's the right fit so they could bring him along.
I do like Coston. Last years coaches said he had more athletic ability than all the other guards but wasn't ready coming out of a small school. The Zone is perfect for him and I am hoping he steps up and improves the line play. He does have the strength in addition to athleticism to handle his spot in the passing game.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
Pyle,
I see no reason to bash the concerns. I do think that Colledge has all of the athletic talent needed for this system and if it's center of gravity issues those can be worked on. Having the quickness and mobility the player just has to have.
Throwing a rookie in there is always dangerous and not having the strength to stand against a bull rush is obviously concerning.

This, in part, can be offset somewhat by the shortening of the routes and time Brett needs to deliver the ball.

The kid could step up and do a real good job but the best case scenario might be a June cut casualty that's the right fit so they could bring him along.
I do like Coston. Last years coaches said he had more athletic ability than all the other guards but wasn't ready coming out of a small school. The Zone is perfect for him and I am hoping he steps up and improves the line play. He does have the strength in addition to athleticism to handle his spot in the passing game.

Good post Warhawk, nice to see you actually debate something with actual football knowledge. I agree technique can be worked on but this guy has probably played this way his whole career. I don't know if you can change that in 3 months. It will probably take him getting canned a few times before it really sets in just how big and strong these guys are. I hope he is in the Weight Room trying to improve his leg strength. That right now would be his biggest asset.

On passing plays I would hope that we start going back to using the TE more. The screen and passes to the flats will also be a benefit to Brett if the line does not give him thetime he needs.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's basically impossible to know if a rookie will do well by evaluating minicamp workouts.

The workouts are very beneficial to the players and team chemistry, but they are not a time to evaluate linemen. The QBs, WRs and DBs probably get the most out of these workouts without pads.

With that being said, Colledge appears to be good just as he did when we drafted him. Hopefully he will be able to transition to the pro game quickly and be able to contribute this season.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robert Gallery was bigger and stronger than Colledge and struggled quite a bit his rookie year with OAK. I hope he gets it quick and does a great job, however, it will definitely be the exception if he does. I know my fingers are crossed.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never was a big believer in the draft solving the "O" line probems in '06. The problem is that guards that will work in this system,or, good quality quards period have not exactly been falling off the trees this year.

I do believe that Colledge is a better player out of college and is a better fit for the scheme being used than Whitt was last year. This being said I would hope it would mean that the line play would make improvement over last year.

This is not meant as a knock on Whitt. He was a 7th round rookie. That's how tough the situation was last year. I guess what I'm saying is I expect Colledge to struggle less than Whitt did last year. But struggle he more than likely will.

To calicheese's point. Most rookies do.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts