Cook Pushing Favre to Play?

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
COOK PUSHING FAVRE TO PLAY?

Posted by Mike Florio on June 30, 2008, 11:52 a.m. EDT

Though the precise discussions between “retired” quarterback Brett Favre and his agent, Bus Cook, likely are known only to Favre and Cook, some league insiders are assuming that Cook is pushing Favre to play in 2008.

The assumption is based on a perception that Cook has been yapping openly (but not yet publicly) about Favre’s supposed desire to play in 2008. Because Favre seems, at least superficially, to be content with the notion of retirement, the assumption then is that Cook is trying to get Favre to change his mind and unretire.

Read more here

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
in the other thread that is locked someone mentioned that Cook would get paid more..

False, he stands to make more with Brett retired

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in the other thread that is locked someone mentioned that Cook would get paid more..

huh?

if favre make 11 million wont cook get 10%?

thats a nice chunk of change

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

huh?

I don't get it either. I would like an explanation, if there is one. Maybe somehow Cook would make more this year if Favre retires, but in the long run, it has to be better for him for Favre to continue playing.

This is not much a news story anyway. Any agent would want to keep the gravy train rolling, so of course he wants Favre to come back.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
longtimefan said:

huh?

I don't get it either. I would like an explanation, if there is one. Maybe somehow Cook would make more this year if Favre retires, but in the long run, it has to be better for him for Favre to continue playing.

This is not much a news story anyway. Any agent would want to keep the gravy train rolling, so of course he wants Favre to come back.

I don't get it either. Where could Favre get 11 million elsewhere and Cook gets 10% of that.

Either way Favre is retired unless something drastic happens.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
millertime said:
longtimefan said:

huh?

I don't get it either. Where could Favre get 11 million elsewhere and Cook gets 10% of that.

Either way Favre is retired unless something drastic happens.

All I know is that according to his pilot, Bus makes more with Brett retired..might be part of the contract or something..But I have no reason to doubt him..

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That sounds screwy........i think in most cases an agent makes more money if his client is working.
Of course i don't know.......it just doesn't seem right.
Not that either of them is short on cash or anything.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way I see Favre coming back is if Rodgers is on IR by Week 4 and Brohm struggles. Maybe then the Packers could coax Brett to come back for the second half of the season.

NormaL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way I see Favre coming back is if Rodgers is on IR by Week 4 and Brohm struggles. Maybe then the Packers could coax Brett to come back for the second half of the season.
I'm gonna honestly go with the Packers will not be having Favre back on the team again. Just don't ever see it happening. The end

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds screwy........i think in most cases an agent makes more money if his client is working.

How many NEW things has he been a spokes person for since he retired?
I also think that his sig, autos, items are going off the self like crazy since he announced his retirement..

Maybe just maybe Bus gets a % of all that together now that he is retired..where as before he never did..

but I do not know the details just have it from a good source he makes more now

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

How many NEW things has he been a spokes person for since he retired?
I also think that his sig, autos, items are going off the self like crazy since he announced his retirement..

Maybe just maybe Bus gets a % of all that together now that he is retired..where as before he never did..

but I do not know the details just have it from a good source he makes more now

Im aware that many many athletes make more from endorsements than they do in career earnings or prize money but i dont think it would be like that in Favre's case...is anyone has the facts id be interested to know either way.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
If you want a motive though for Cook to get Favre to come back.. think of the lifetime of endorsements he might be able to plunder if Favre went out with a Superbowl trophy in hand.

But something tells me, as long as Cook has known Favre that he very well might be testing Favre to make sure down the road Favre didn't have any personal regrets about walking away.. say if the Packers win the trophy this year.. Favre will to his end, question whether he made the right choice.. because Favre can still play at a high level.. his playing days physically aren't behind him in a sense..

But at the end of the day.. people rehashing this story time and time again are only keeping Favre's name in print.. which sells papers, advertising and such.. so maybe in the end.. Cook is just milking the excessive free advertising for his client and the endorsers of Favre..

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last couple of years there has been some BIG disconnect between what Brett says and what Bus says. Something is amiss.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
longtimefan said:

huh?

Someone said almost EXACT same thing on Bretts board months ago when a rumor was out that Bus was pushing Brett to play

Pilots words were Bus makes more with him retired..

Ask David ( ironman) I am sure he recalls it being said..

I wouldn't post anything if I thought it was false..

It didn't make sense to me either AT THE TIME but the way it was explained, it made perfect sense..

but just know if Bus is TRYING to make Brett play it isn't so he can get more money

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the only reason an agent does anything is so he can get more money. i don't care if you're the agent for chad johnson, brett favre, or jesus christ... your only motive is to make more money.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me the issues isn't Cook. For years I tired of hearing how Brett might retire. The anxiety behind those statements was way too much for me. After awhile I just to myself, if you want to retire, then retire. Stop talking about it. So now the guy retires, but does he really want to retire, or did he just want to retire from the Packers (conspirarcy theory)? I guess I just don't care. n The Packers still hold his rights. I can't any situation in which the Packers would trade his rights. Coming back now would ruin Brett's image in this town forever. He is an icon and will go down as the greatest Packer ever, unless he attempts to come back with another team.

On a final note, I've always believed that when one is ready to retire one will know that. Brett was still playing at a high level and to be honest, I thought he'd play through his contract. I was surprised that he retired, but now he's done that. Let's all move on and that includes Brett Favre.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's all move on and that includes Brett Favre.

Believe me, we all want to move on from this, but its the likes of Bus Cook and the media that keep dragging this stuff up. Its getting tiring...no wonder ARod is pissed. :roll: