1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cook Pushing Favre to Play?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackOne, Jun 30, 2008.

1. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    COOK PUSHING FAVRE TO PLAY?

Posted by Mike Florio on June 30, 2008, 11:52 a.m. EDT

Though the precise discussions between “retired” quarterback Brett Favre and his agent, Bus Cook, likely are known only to Favre and Cook, some league insiders are assuming that Cook is pushing Favre to play in 2008.

The assumption is based on a perception that Cook has been yapping openly (but not yet publicly) about Favre’s supposed desire to play in 2008. Because Favre seems, at least superficially, to be content with the notion of retirement, the assumption then is that Cook is trying to get Favre to change his mind and unretire.

Read more here

2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    in the other thread that is locked someone mentioned that Cook would get paid more..

False, he stands to make more with Brett retired

3. millertime

millertime Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    huh?

if favre make 11 million wont cook get 10%?

thats a nice chunk of change

4. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    I poop on Bus Cook.

5. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't get it either. I would like an explanation, if there is one. Maybe somehow Cook would make more this year if Favre retires, but in the long run, it has to be better for him for Favre to continue playing.

This is not much a news story anyway. Any agent would want to keep the gravy train rolling, so of course he wants Favre to come back.

6. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't get it either. Where could Favre get 11 million elsewhere and Cook gets 10% of that.

Either way Favre is retired unless something drastic happens.

7. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,477
    All I know is that according to his pilot, Bus makes more with Brett retired..might be part of the contract or something..But I have no reason to doubt him..

8. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    That sounds screwy........i think in most cases an agent makes more money if his client is working.
    Of course i don't know.......it just doesn't seem right.
    Not that either of them is short on cash or anything.

9. RainX

RainX Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +13
    The only way I see Favre coming back is if Rodgers is on IR by Week 4 and Brohm struggles. Maybe then the Packers could coax Brett to come back for the second half of the season.

10. NormaL

NormaL Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm gonna honestly go with the Packers will not be having Favre back on the team again. Just don't ever see it happening. The end

11. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,477
    How many NEW things has he been a spokes person for since he retired?
    I also think that his sig, autos, items are going off the self like crazy since he announced his retirement..

Maybe just maybe Bus gets a % of all that together now that he is retired..where as before he never did..

but I do not know the details just have it from a good source he makes more now

12. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Im aware that many many athletes make more from endorsements than they do in career earnings or prize money but i dont think it would be like that in Favre's case...is anyone has the facts id be interested to know either way.

13. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Again the only two people that know if Cook is making more money now that Brett has retired are Brett and Mr. Cook, otherwise it is just hear say.

14. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    If you want a motive though for Cook to get Favre to come back.. think of the lifetime of endorsements he might be able to plunder if Favre went out with a Superbowl trophy in hand.

But something tells me, as long as Cook has known Favre that he very well might be testing Favre to make sure down the road Favre didn't have any personal regrets about walking away.. say if the Packers win the trophy this year.. Favre will to his end, question whether he made the right choice.. because Favre can still play at a high level.. his playing days physically aren't behind him in a sense..

But at the end of the day.. people rehashing this story time and time again are only keeping Favre's name in print.. which sells papers, advertising and such.. so maybe in the end.. Cook is just milking the excessive free advertising for his client and the endorsers of Favre..

15. Andy

Andy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The last couple of years there has been some BIG disconnect between what Brett says and what Bus says. Something is amiss.

16. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,477
    Someone said almost EXACT same thing on Bretts board months ago when a rumor was out that Bus was pushing Brett to play

Pilots words were Bus makes more with him retired..

Ask David ( ironman) I am sure he recalls it being said..

I wouldn't post anything if I thought it was false..

It didn't make sense to me either AT THE TIME but the way it was explained, it made perfect sense..

but just know if Bus is TRYING to make Brett play it isn't so he can get more money

17. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    the only reason an agent does anything is so he can get more money. i don't care if you're the agent for chad johnson, brett favre, or jesus christ... your only motive is to make more money.

18. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps Cook simply get's a larger percentage of non-salary income?

19. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    To me the issues isn't Cook. For years I tired of hearing how Brett might retire. The anxiety behind those statements was way too much for me. After awhile I just to myself, if you want to retire, then retire. Stop talking about it. So now the guy retires, but does he really want to retire, or did he just want to retire from the Packers (conspirarcy theory)? I guess I just don't care. n The Packers still hold his rights. I can't any situation in which the Packers would trade his rights. Coming back now would ruin Brett's image in this town forever. He is an icon and will go down as the greatest Packer ever, unless he attempts to come back with another team.

On a final note, I've always believed that when one is ready to retire one will know that. Brett was still playing at a high level and to be honest, I thought he'd play through his contract. I was surprised that he retired, but now he's done that. Let's all move on and that includes Brett Favre.

20. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Believe me, we all want to move on from this, but its the likes of Bus Cook and the media that keep dragging this stuff up. Its getting tiring...no wonder ARod is pissed. :roll: