Concussion Expert

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ann McKee MD is a 1975 UW alumnus and featured in this winter's "On Wisconsin" (vol.111 no. 4). She is a leader in investigating head injuries as a neuropathologist in Bedford, Mass.

The article is must reading for those interested in the research being done on concussions.

A great quote from the article: "...adult life in New England Patriots country hasn't changed McKee's allegiance. "I love the Packers. I love Aaron Rodgers. I really don't like Brett Favre."

Now here is one savvy neurologist.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I'm sure we will be hearing ALOT of comments like that more and more...:pleasantry:

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The scariest aspect of this head injury problem is that many of the players have never had a concussion, but still wind up with CTE, or Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy which can lead to devastating problems, even early death. It is the reason that the NFL is considering abolishing the 3 point stance to limit the number of helmet-to-helmet collisions on the line of scrimmage.

Newer helmets are a start, but unless the helmet is rigidly connected to the torso, there is only so much helmet modifications can do to protect a player. There is a device called HANS (Head And Neck Safety) that connects the helmet to the torso to protect the head and neck from high speed collisions. Obviously, it restricts movement and players would hate it.

This is a huge issue in contact sports and we're in the early stages of learning how to diagnose, treat, and protect players with head injury. Hopefully the NFL and all of football will be leaders in partnering with people like Dr. McKee to figure it out.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It may come down to something like this (this was prior to wide-spread use of the helmet):

American Football

(By Bruce K. Stewart; From American History, November, 1995)

"At the end of the 1905 season, the Chicago Tribune reported some frightening news: 18 FOOTBALL PLAYERS DEAD AND 159 SERIOUSLY INJURED! This report, coming weeks after he had seen photographs of the bloodied combatants in a contest between Swarthmore and the University of Pennsylvania, led President Theodore Roosevelt to proclaim: "I demand that football change its rules or be abolished. Brutality and foul play should receive the same summary punishment given to a man who cheats at cards! Change the game or forsake it!" "

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone have a physics background ore more specific who can explain to me why the helmet exterior is rock hard?

I mean cars have some bumper.... bumper cars which are designed for COLLISIONS (as helmets are/should be) have bumpers on the exterior, not just interior.

Can't they put at least a thin, outer pad on helmets to absorb the initial impact? It seems to easy and logical for me, so I am assuming the physics of it must be wrong.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frank, as I understand it, the soft exterior has the theoretical disadvantage that it increases the duration of contact with collisions, thereby increasing the risk to the neck. The padding didn't slide off the opposing surface as easily. You may be old enough to remember the padded helmet that Ohio State used in the early 60's. Macgregor made the helmet, which had a wide stripe of padding on the exterior. Other teams tried it as well, but it was abandoned when the worry about increased risk to the neck was raised.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

YoKramer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The scariest aspect of this head injury problem is that many of the players have never had a concussion, but still wind up with CTE, or Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy which can lead to devastating problems, even early death. It is the reason that the NFL is considering abolishing the 3 point stance to limit the number of helmet-to-helmet collisions on the line of scrimmage.

Newer helmets are a start, but unless the helmet is rigidly connected to the torso, there is only so much helmet modifications can do to protect a player. There is a device called HANS (Head And Neck Safety) that connects the helmet to the torso to protect the head and neck from high speed collisions. Obviously, it restricts movement and players would hate it.

This is a huge issue in contact sports and we're in the early stages of learning how to diagnose, treat, and protect players with head injury. Hopefully the NFL and all of football will be leaders in partnering with people like Dr. McKee to figure it out.
The HANS is widely used in Racing but would be hard for a contact sport like Football. There are some neck restraints used by motocrossers that my be better to use though.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's keep thinking outside the box here.

Blood, that makes sense. I wonder if just a few specific spots on the exterior would work.
I'm just looking to soften that initial hard contact.

Rodgers concussion in Detroit came as a result of his head banging hard into the damn ground, which wasn't natural grass of course. Natural grass has the grass and soil underneath to dampen the head smashing into the turf.

Much different hitting one's head on grass outside and on the hardwood floor of a basketball court or hockey rink. Artificial turf, field turf, is somewhere in the middle, but closer to the hard floors.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just read an article on the great snowboarder, Shaun White. He uses a helmet made by RED that is made to break on contact, thereby absorbing more of the energy of the hit. Interesting idea.

I agree that more work should be done on exterior padding, or some sort of HANS like device to protect both the head and neck. Maybe an air bag system that inflates only on contact? They have them inside the new helmets, but maybe they could extend the idea to protect the neck.

I was on the side of abolishing the helmet altogether to decrease the use of your head in tackling until I read some of the reports of deaths in football in the pre-helmet era. Deaths were common yearly, many of them due to head and neck injury.

I do think rules changes will be necessary. Maybe eliminate the 3 point stance, as Goodell brought up. Maybe eliminate the kickoffs. Make hits below the knees advisable. It may take out someone's knee, but save someone's head or neck--a pretty good trade imo.

It's been said the challenge is to protect the players without destroying the game. It's a huge undertaking.

YoKramer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something like this where you have a protective collar and it goes down into the pads but still allows movement of the head would be best.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something like this where you have a protective collar and it goes down into the pads but still allows movement of the head would be best.

Yes, where did you find this? Whatever gives protection with minimal interference with head movement will be necessary.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Members online

Latest posts