Coach update

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jay Glazer at FOXSPORTS(he's been dead on lately) says as of right now, Sean Payton is the top candidate for the Packers job.

You can find it at Foxsports or KFFL.

This would be out with the old and in with the new.

Keep in mind, if Payton is chosen he will help determine which players fit the system and which one's don't.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Keep in mind, if Payton is chosen he will help determine which players fit the system and which one's don't.

so will any HC that comes in.

I hope he doesnt get the job...he doesnt impress me much

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually Thompson will decide which players to bring in. Jay Glaser is guessing. I wouldn't mind Payton but Glaser knows about as much as I do.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Actually Thompson will decide which players to bring in. Jay Glaser is guessing. I wouldn't mind Payton but Glaser knows about as much as I do.

actually the HC will have his say, like 99% of the coaches in the league. their word isnt final, but they get their say.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, NET - I watch Jay Glazer pretty often, especially on FoxSports. But, this time around, I hope he's dead wrong - I would prefer (totally) that we get a promotion from within. Meaning, we get Jim Bates into the HC chair. I will be totally disappointed with Thompson, if he lets Bates get away. Bates has stated 'outright' that he wants to be a Head Coach. Well,. why not Green Bay? What's more, the Players already buy into his attitude and his premise. He's the "perfect" fit for Lambeau Field. Any other option is just wrong - all we need is an OC that will fit the West Coast Offense into a Gunslinger attitude (which we didn't have for the last five years) and BANG, we're winning the NFC Title again. You know it - I know it - and whats more, even Brett's brother, Scott, knows it.

I will no longer give TT the green light if Jim Bates gets hired as HC somewhere else. End of statement!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, I will be very disappointed in TT, but I am pretty confident Bates is in. I will call him Thursday and find out for sure.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
net said:

so will any HC that comes in.

I hope he doesnt get the job...he doesnt impress me much

seems like his resume is decent. he turned around kerry collins, and drew bledsoe. not to mention payton has worked w/ john fox, gruden, and parcells.

he could have had a decent job in oakland as headcoach, but noone wants to deal w/al davis.

this guy maybe just what the pack needs!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Payton turned down an offer from Al Davis? That's definitely a point in his favor. I like Bates, too, and I think he deserves to be head coach. The only thing better would be to get a good offensive coach and retain Bates as DC. It's not out of the question. Payton has the pedigree, but what I don't know is whether he has the attitude necessary for a head coach.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
So Payton turned down an offer from Al Davis? That's definitely a point in his favor. I like Bates, too, and I think he deserves to be head coach. The only thing better would be to get a good offensive coach and retain Bates as DC. It's not out of the question. Payton has the pedigree, but what I don't know is whether he has the attitude necessary for a head coach.

i like the fact that payton could mentor rodgers, this maybe an important factor for the next hc. his ability to make rodgers a successful NFL qb.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
Greg C. said:

i like the fact that payton could mentor rodgers, this maybe an important factor for the next hc. his ability to make rodgers a successful NFL qb.

Absolutely - no doubt about it - which is why I'm wondering about the no-call to Steve Mariucci. I guess I'm just stuck on keeping Bates. It's been severeal years since we've had a Fritz Shurmur and, it feels great to have one back in the fold.

I also just heard on TV that Jeff Fisher is now being contacted by the Rams.. seems his tenure with the Titans is in doubts. If Jeff is, indeed, available - that's another interview, I think TT should look into.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
I also just heard on TV that Jeff Fisher is now being contacted by the Rams.. seems his tenure with the Titans is in doubts. If Jeff is, indeed, available - that's another interview, I think TT should look into.

I'd have to agree. I've always liked Fisher.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
So Payton turned down an offer from Al Davis?

Big mistake!

How could anyone turn down an opportunity to step in and step out onto the sidelines as the Raidahhs Head coach.

It is the easiest job in the NFL. You are paid well. You only need to work 3 hours a day. You do not have to look at game film, you are at home by 3 PM every day to spend time with the family. In the off season there is no reason to worry about the cap or who may be drafted because it is not your job.

All that is requiered is you look good on the side lines and wear the head phones that are hooked up to Al's box so you can relay the plays that Al Davis calls.

Then of course when the failure comes... You will be fired.

Do I sound Bitter? Yes. perhaps.... But it is still the best paying, easiest coaching job in the NFL.

Payton is an idiot.

RP

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
dhpackr said:
Greg C. said:

Absolutely - no doubt about it - which is why I'm wondering about the no-call to Steve Mariucci. I guess I'm just stuck on keeping Bates. It's been severeal years since we've had a Fritz Shurmur and, it feels great to have one back in the fold.

i'd love to see jeff fisher as packer coach.

here is the thing about jim bates, his defensive schemes are real basic and simple. i feel a coach like rivera would be a better selection than bates as headcoach b/c rivera uses blitzes and cover two schemes.

i like three guys for the new coach

kubiak, fisher, payton.
fisher b/c he has great experience and has been to the big show.
kubiak-great offensive schemes
payton-works well with veteran qb's, and could mentor rodgers

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
despite my hate for the Broncos, i would look forward to Kubiak coming here. he'd instantly breathe life into the running game (cheap tactics permitting).

word is he's headed to Houston though.

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the Prez,I hope that they keep Bates.The team has changed DC's three years straight,with Bates it will stay the same. The players really seem to like him to be the HC. But I would hope he would bring in someone with west coast offense experience.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
despite my hate for the Broncos, i would look forward to Kubiak coming here. he'd instantly breathe life into the running game (cheap tactics permitting).

how do you feel about payton coming to GB and working w/favre?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
eastcoastpacker said:
I agree with the Prez,I hope that they keep Bates.The team has changed DC's three years straight,with Bates it will stay the same. The players really seem to like him to be the HC. But I would hope he would bring in someone with west coast offense experience.

Thanks for the vote of confidence - but I know very little of the inside workings of Ted Thompson's mind. It is a hope I have, but I'll probably not get my wish - if I do, I'm gonna tie one on.....

I marked an update on the Bates thread, back to Z-2-C and it pretty much spells out what will happen with Bates if TT's not careful. All I know is this - if we have to endure yet another DC change - this next season? Favre might as well retire right now. That'll be four DC's in-a-row. The Team will be in full-blown rebuild mode because of it and it'll take 3-4 years before we're back on track again - seems like we're back on that 20 year stretch again, as it is... don't it? Heck, it's been ten years now, since SB 31 - and look where we've failed, when we had a 3xMVP on the roster... frustrating... totally!

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
arrowgargantuan said:

Payton's resume is massive and he's worked with some of the best so thats always a good thing right? one thing that bugs me is the night and day passing game that Dallas shows up with week in and week out, of course that doesn't mean Payton is inept or incapable of coordinating a passing game..it just bothers me. besides, your passing game is only as good as your run game, and Julian underachieved bigtime this year.

regardless, Payton seems to be the front runner as far as the rumors go, so i'm sure he's atop the list for a reason. it might have a bit more to do with Rodgers than Favre though...

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
dhpackr said:
arrowgargantuan said:

Payton's resume is massive and he's worked with some of the best so thats always a good thing right? one thing that bugs me is the night and day passing game that Dallas shows up with week in and week out, of course that doesn't mean Payton is inept or incapable of coordinating a passing game..it just bothers me. besides, your passing game is only as good as your run game, and Julian underachieved bigtime this year.

regardless, Payton seems to be the front runner as far as the rumors go, so i'm sure he's atop the list for a reason. it might have a bit more to do with Rodgers than Favre though...

and i hear ty detmer will be on paton's coaching staff as well

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts