Chargers Curse?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that over the years San Diego gets rid of great players that go else where and burn them?

I guess you can say coaches too. They fired Marty Shottenhiemer for Norv Turner, and while Shotty never won a Super Bowl, he had a good team built.

Let's just go through the specifics

#1. Drew Brees
He survived an injury when he had a 60% chance of never playing again. Marty Schottenhiemer wanted to keep him, but they refused. Now he's got a Super Bowl ring, and was the Super Bowl 44 MVP, and now holds all of New Orleans passing records in the short amount of time he's been there.

#2. Michael Turner
After 3 years in San Diego of not getting a chance, he blew up and has 2 1,000+ yard seasons in Atlanta including 2 pro bowls. Now Turner is the back bone of that offense pounding the ball and controlling the clock.

#3. LaDainian Tomlinson
Another one that they should have kept. I guess they thought LD was done, but he proved them wrong. In 2009 with San Diego he had 22o carries for only 730 yards, they cut him thinking he was done. Last year with the Jets LD had less carries than in 2009 with 219, and had far more yards with 914 total yards.

#4. Antonio Cromartie
With a 4 year career in San Diego, they let him go to the Jets and last year he had 3 interceptions and a fumble recovery, and was one of the high points of the Jets defense that made the AFC Championship while San Diego didn't even make the playoffs.

#5. Darren Sproles
Traded to New Orleans to make Ryan Matthews the premier back, in just one game Sproles had a punt return for touchdown, and has already made the majority of Saints fans forget all about Reggie Bush.

This is just 5 I know from the start, I know there is plenty more players they cut that went and did better else where.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe they're playing well outside of San Diego because they're happy with the fact that they don't have to deal with Phillip Rivers again.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings lost in the end, were dominated statistically.

None of those other 4 guys (other than Brees) the Chargers let get away that you listed have a ring yet either. And Brees owes his to Brett Favre.

Just got my tickets today for the Packers-Chargers game on November 6th. Decent seats. Not bad. Not good. But I'm confirmed in. I want to see at least 50% of that stadium in Green & Gold. They had tons of Purple there today.

I saw a game there Brees final year there, Raiders at Chargers in 2005 on Sunday Night, or Monday night. Brees was the best player on the field, including the still-elite LaDanian Tomlinson. I guess it was just a few weeks later Brees would get his shoulder drilled when he dove to the ground to recover a fumble, and that would force them to turn to Rivers. I wonder why they drafted Rivers (*Eli).... I loved Rivers too, but they had Brees and he was already good. I guess they had a quick trigger.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Oh I thought you were meaning the Chargers have like one win against the packers.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Vikings lost in the end, were dominated statistically.

None of those other 4 guys (other than Brees) the Chargers let get away that you listed have a ring yet either. And Brees owes his to Brett Favre.

Just got my tickets today for the Packers-Chargers game on November 6th. Decent seats. Not bad. Not good. But I'm confirmed in. I want to see at least 50% of that stadium in Green & Gold. They had tons of Purple there today.

I saw a game there Brees final year there, Raiders at Chargers in 2005 on Sunday Night, or Monday night. Brees was the best player on the field, including the still-elite LaDanian Tomlinson. I guess it was just a few weeks later Brees would get his shoulder drilled when he dove to the ground to recover a fumble, and that would force them to turn to Rivers. I wonder why they drafted Rivers (*Eli).... I loved Rivers too, but they had Brees and he was already good. I guess they had a quick trigger.

Not just about Brees winning a Super Bowl, these guys leave San Diego and go kick *** somewhere else and it comes back to haunt them.

That's really how I felt about L.D. last season. He left then, gets less carries than he did the year before, with a team that depends on the run more than pass, and he still out gained his last season by 200 yards without the extra carries.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A little off topic, but anyone else suspect Packers fans will take over Qualcomm when we play them? There's a lot of Packers fans in Southern California for whatever reason.

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A little off topic, but anyone else suspect Packers fans will take over Qualcomm when we play them? There's a lot of Packers fans in Southern California for whatever reason.

Absolutely, San Diego's fans are awful. They're constantly on the brink of a blackout even though they always have good teams. Packers fans already travel like nobody's business, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 60/40 chargers/packers fan split.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not really fair to blame cromartie for not getting the chargers to the playoffs. Nnamdi didnt get the Raiders to the playoffs very often...

Krymestone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there are no san diego chargers fans. there are just a group of people that were finished with surfing and a football field appeared in front of them, and they decided to go inside to see what was going on.

SuperBolts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not here to troll, rather I'd like to stick up for the Chargers and the entire Chargers fan base. :)

Why Packers fans would even talk about the San Diego Chargers is beyond me, but nevertheless...

Yes, the Chargers do have a way of letting go great talent....you forgot to mention Wes Welker (someone we found in the undrafted market and then cut just before his first season).

The flipside to your argument is how well the Chargers do in finding gems through the draft and undrafted market. Our superstars are all homegrown talent (Rivers, Gates (undrafted), Vincent Jackson, Jammer, Mike Tolbert (undrafted) etc.... We aren't the type of team to go out and spend big money on free agent finds...cough, cough, EAGLES.

We all know you can't keep everyone. It's the way this business works. In the words of AJ Smith..."It is what it is"

- Bolt Fan

Has anyone else noticed that over the years San Diego gets rid of great players that go else where and burn them?

I guess you can say coaches too. They fired Marty Shottenhiemer for Norv Turner, and while Shotty never won a Super Bowl, he had a good team built.

Let's just go through the specifics

#1. Drew Brees
He survived an injury when he had a 60% chance of never playing again. Marty Schottenhiemer wanted to keep him, but they refused. Now he's got a Super Bowl ring, and was the Super Bowl 44 MVP, and now holds all of New Orleans passing records in the short amount of time he's been there.

#2. Michael Turner
After 3 years in San Diego of not getting a chance, he blew up and has 2 1,000+ yard seasons in Atlanta including 2 pro bowls. Now Turner is the back bone of that offense pounding the ball and controlling the clock.

#3. LaDainian Tomlinson
Another one that they should have kept. I guess they thought LD was done, but he proved them wrong. In 2009 with San Diego he had 22o carries for only 730 yards, they cut him thinking he was done. Last year with the Jets LD had less carries than in 2009 with 219, and had far more yards with 914 total yards.

#4. Antonio Cromartie
With a 4 year career in San Diego, they let him go to the Jets and last year he had 3 interceptions and a fumble recovery, and was one of the high points of the Jets defense that made the AFC Championship while San Diego didn't even make the playoffs.

#5. Darren Sproles
Traded to New Orleans to make Ryan Matthews the premier back, in just one game Sproles had a punt return for touchdown, and has already made the majority of Saints fans forget all about Reggie Bush.

This is just 5 I know from the start, I know there is plenty more players they cut that went and did better else where.

SuperBolts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chargers fans are awful huh? Great insight, I'll be sure to stop by your "NFL" website and blog.

I'm not going to sit here and say the Chargers have a bigger, better and badder fanbase than the Green Bay Packers. We haven't won a SuperBowl, the Packers have won 4.

For what it's worth, after the Chargers beat the Steelers in the 1994 AFC Championship game, the entire city shut down.

People were parking on the I-8 and the I-15 (freeways with 8 or 9 lanes), just so they could squeeze inside Jack Murphy Stadium (now Qualcomm) to welcome our boys home.

At the time, the Stadium only seated 50k. There we're reports that San Diego packed the stadium with over 100k fans and another 30k in the parking lot. It was standing room only and something I'll never forget.

Yes, we have lots of extra curricular activities and yes, we have lots of displaced fans thanks to a large diverse city, great weather and military bases that we love and support. Greenbay doesn't have to contend with this.

I'll finish with this...do you think it's easier to root for a team that has won 4 SuperBowls or a team that has won ZIP?

- Bolt Fan

Absolutely, San Diego's fans are awful. They're constantly on the brink of a blackout even though they always have good teams. Packers fans already travel like nobody's business, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 60/40 chargers/packers fan split.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My tickets are bought..... my airfare is bought.
I need to get in the loop here and find Packer Forum tailgating.
That game could be us at 7-0 vs about 5-2 San Diego.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Chargers fans are awful huh? Great insight, I'll be sure to stop by your "NFL" website and blog.

I'm not going to sit here and say the Chargers have a bigger, better and badder fanbase than the Green Bay Packers. We haven't won a SuperBowl, the Packers have won 4.

For what it's worth, after the Chargers beat the Steelers in the 1994 AFC Championship game, the entire city shut down.

People were parking on the I-8 and the I-15 (freeways with 8 or 9 lanes), just so they could squeeze inside Jack Murphy Stadium (now Qualcomm) to welcome our boys home.

At the time, the Stadium only seated 50k. There we're reports that San Diego packed the stadium with over 100k fans and another 30k in the parking lot. It was standing room only and something I'll never forget.

Yes, we have lots of extra curricular activities and yes, we have lots of displaced fans thanks to a large diverse city, great weather and military bases that we love and support. Greenbay doesn't have to contend with this.

I'll finish with this...do you think it's easier to root for a team that has won 4 SuperBowls or a team that has won ZIP?

- Bolt Fan
I hate to tell you this. But Green Bay pretty much shuts down for every home game. 102,000 residents, 74,000 sold out seats. Every Game. Every year. Since.....well since it was built. They pull in 35,000 for a scrimage during training camp. Now I don't know of any other team that does that.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Hey, other than thinking your QB resembles a chipmunk, I have nothing bad to think of Chargers and their fans. Maybe if they wore their powder blue jerseys more people would want to see them in person. But I think the topic was originating from Mr. Bogart stating that you guys let go of Drew Brees and Sproles and they almost beat the Packers and they were Chargers before Saints.

Now I can say I find it easier to cheer for the Packers because I live in Wisconsin, and I was raised to like the Packers because my dad did, though he was an oddball out of Bears fans. It seems like up here in the midwest besides Ohio each state has their own football team, California has multiple football teams, and I am sure its tough to decide which one to cheer for. I can say I don't cheer for the Packers for their 4 super bowl wins, since I root for the Pack since I was brought up as a Packers fan. Chargers though are second in my book.

- Bolt Fan

SuperBolts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're stating the obvious. Everyone around the league, whether they'll admit it or not, respects Green Bay and the "small town" Americana atmosphere that the city is known for. I never knocked the Pack's following, I was just responding to the insightful commentator who stated Chargers fans were awful.

Side note: comparing a city like Green Bay with 102k residents to a city like San Diego with over 3 million is like comparing a grain of sand to a beach...no pun intended :)

I hate to tell you this. But Green Bay pretty much shuts down for every home game. 102,000 residents, 74,000 sold out seats. Every Game. Every year. Since.....well since it was built. They pull in 35,000 for a scrimage during training camp. Now I don't know of any other team that does that.

SuperBolts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would be safe to say that there are "home grown" fans like yourself and fans that are drawn to winners (aka "bandwagoners"). Every team in the NFL has both types of fans, however, the teams with multiple Superbowls own the largest majority of these types of fans. It's just the way it is.

Hey, other than thinking your QB resembles a chipmunk, I have nothing bad to think of Chargers and their fans. Maybe if they wore their powder blue jerseys more people would want to see them in person. But I think the topic was originating from Mr. Bogart stating that you guys let go of Drew Brees and Sproles and they almost beat the Packers and they were Chargers before Saints.

Now I can say I find it easier to cheer for the Packers because I live in Wisconsin, and I was raised to like the Packers because my dad did, though he was an oddball out of Bears fans. It seems like up here in the midwest besides Ohio each state has their own football team, California has multiple football teams, and I am sure its tough to decide which one to cheer for. I can say I don't cheer for the Packers for their 4 super bowl wins, since I root for the Pack since I was brought up as a Packers fan. Chargers though are second in my book.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
You're stating the obvious. Everyone around the league, whether they'll admit it or not, respects Green Bay and the "small town" Americana atmosphere that the city is known for. I never knocked the Pack's following, I was just responding to the insightful commentator who stated Chargers fans were awful.

Side note: comparing a city like Green Bay with 102k residents to a city like San Diego with over 3 million is like comparing a grain of sand to a beach...no pun intended :)
You are on a Packer board, what do you expect? Every team's fans are awful for most of them. ;)

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I'm not here to troll, rather I'd like to stick up for the Chargers and the entire Chargers fan base. :)

Why Packers fans would even talk about the San Diego Chargers is beyond me, but nevertheless...

Because we can talk about any team we wish to bring up.

If you're angry over my post, just remember we're all entitled to our own opinions and one man's words is not enough in this world to get angry about. If you disagree with me, that's cool, no hard feelings. I just like to look at the sides of coins. The Chargers lost these players that go else where and have had career seasons. They aren't the only team it happens to.

The Saints also have something I call the "curse" in which they trade, cut, and get rid of players that 90% of the time come back and have career games against their former team (Morten Andersen, Rickey Jackson, Bobby Hebert, too many to name that came back and beat them)

kali3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No such thing as curses (except for trips to Hawaii on the Brady Bunch)

Members online

Latest posts