Catching Up With...Vonta Leach

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Catching Up With...Vonta Leach

posted 06/29/2006

Related Information

: Patrick Dendy

As a linebacker at East Carolina, Vonta Leach got his nickname "Big Bruiser" for delivering big hits on the defensive side of the ball. Leach made the switch to fullback his junior season and has been "bruising" linebackers ever since.

Packers.com recently sat down with the "Big Bruiser" to see how he would take on our random questions.

Who is your favorite athlete besides other football players?
Leach: I’d have to say Michael Jordan. He was without a doubt the greatest athlete.

What was your favorite class you took in college?
I would have to say one of my child development/family relations classes. I liked them because they were real life classes. Something I could relate to.

Who is the best player you have played against?
There have been a lot of good players I’ve played against, so it’s hard to name just one. I just can’t answer that.

What is something you can’t go without on a daily basis?
It’s got to be my cell phone. If I don’t have that I can’t get in touch with anyone. They also will not be able to get in touch with me.

If you could describe the Packers fans in one word what would it be?
They are great, wonderful, excited. You can’t use just one word to describe the Packers fans.

If you could some up Head Coach Mike McCarthy in one word what would it be?
Straightforward

Do you have any pre-game rituals?
No, not really. I just make sure that I listen to my IPod and get ready for game time.

What is the most trouble you ever got in as a kid?
The most trouble I got in? (laughing) I used to beat up the other little kids.(still laughing) I’d always get in trouble for that.

Playstation or XBOX
Playstation!

What is the best prank you have ever pulled?
The best prank I ever pulled? (Laughing just thinking about it) I pulled a prank when I was in college. I told all of my teammates we didn’t have practice on April Fools’ Day and no one came to practice. I told the coaches no one was there and we got out of practice. (Still Laughing)

I like Leach, seems like good guy. I know people think he is on the hot seat but I don't. Packer fans have been spoiled by Henderson. Sure Leach does not catch the ball and hurdle CB's like Big Willy but not many FB's do. We won't see another Henderson anytime soon. I think as far as blocking Vonta is tough and agile enough to do the job. His hands do need work but that's why he's a fullback. I see him being the long term replacement for Willy, though I'm sure many will disagree.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be the first to disagree. Leach is solid with blocking, but that is not enough in the traditional WCO that MM wants to return to.

I suspect we'll see a lot more of Davenport and Green together in the backfield with both as running and receiving threats. That should help to open things up for the passing game. The coaches have been very impressed by Noah Herron and could use him as a FB also.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When it comes to pulling pranks, he's no match for Najeh Davenport, that's for sure. But then again, who is?

He does seem like a nice enough guy, but he is very much on the hot seat, in my opinion. He needs to prove that he can catch the ball out of the backfield and become a fully functioning part of the offense.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he proved he could block in this league last year. He also has problems catching the football. Unless if something changes, I don't think he's going to make it with the Pack.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
When it comes to pulling pranks, he's no match for Najeh Davenport, that's for sure. But then again, who is?

He does seem like a nice enough guy, but he is very much on the hot seat, in my opinion. He needs to prove that he can catch the ball out of the backfield and become a fully functioning part of the offense.

LMAO. Najeh...lol.

Yeah he is on the hot seat, hope it works out.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Leach making the team.
In the true WCO, which it seems we are going back to, the fullback needs to be able to catch the ball out of the backfield.
It appears Leach has bad hands, so therefore, bye-bye.
Unless our guards can't hold up and we need a 3rd guard in the backfield, then he might stick.

Members online

Latest posts