Can't believe I read this

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not being biased here but they were the best. Just total domination and intimidation week after week. You could see the fear in the eyes of the other teams QBs.

Joe Theisman has said that the only time that he has ever been afraid of anything in his life was when he played against the Bears D in 1985.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree there. The 85 Bears' defense was the nastiest thing EVER in the modern era. Buddy Ryan had those guys running at fevered-pitch....and what a collection of bad-*** defenders he had....McMichael, Hampton, Dent, Perry, Wilson, Singletery and an outstanding secondary left by Gary "Can't Dance" Fencik.......

They were a delight to watch....I LOVE great defensive play.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
I have to agree there. The 85 Bears' defense was the nastiest thing EVER in the modern era. Buddy Ryan had those guys running at fevered-pitch....and what a collection of bad-*** defenders he had....McMichael, Hampton, Dent, Perry, Wilson, Singletery and an outstanding secondary left by Gary "Can't Dance" Fencik.......

TURNCOAT!!!!!!

Never ever say anything good about the bears!!

The most amazing thing and best thing about that team is that they only won one championship. Too many egos is my guess.

PackerSacker54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
digsthepack said:

TURNCOAT!!!!!!

The most amazing thing and best thing about that team is that they only won one championship. Too many egos is my guess.

And the most amazing and best thing about the 1996 Packers is they too only won one championship. Favre's ego is my guess. :wink:

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerSacker54 said:
DePack said:
digsthepack said:

TURNCOAT!!!!!!

And the most amazing and best thing about the 1996 Packers is they too only won one championship. Favre's ego is my guess. :wink:

Bad guess. The bears disappeared after that season. The Packers went to another Super Bowl.

I hate the eagles more than the bears but that eagle defense was better.....sorry.....I know you bear "fans" won't be able to sleep tonight.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The most embarrassing moment in the NFL was what Ditka and the bears did to Payton that Super Bowl. Here they had one of the greatest players ever in Walter Payton who finally made it to the Super Bowl late in his career. They blew out the Pats and could have scored at will. Did they get Walter a Super Bowl TD? No....in fact they rubbed it in his face. From the one yard line they gave the ball to the pig fridge instead of Payton. Yea that makes sense....disss Walter for a pig that would eat his way outta the league.

Even Packer fans were embarassed for the bears. It obviously hurt Payton...you could see it in his eyes. Took alot away from that great team. In fact I remember that as much as I remember how dominating their defense was and what a **** McMahon was.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
The most embarrassing moment in the NFL was what Ditka and the bears did to Payton that Super Bowl. Here they had one of the greatest players ever in Walter Payton who finally made it to the Super Bowl late in his career. They blew out the Pats and could have scored at will. Did they get Walter a Super Bowl TD? No....in fact they rubbed it in his face. From the one yard line they gave the ball to the pig fridge instead of Payton. Yea that makes sense....disss Walter for a pig that would eat his way outta the league.

Even Packer fans were embarassed for the bears. It obviously hurt Payton...you could see it in his eyes. Took alot away from that great team. In fact I remember that as much as I remember how dominating their defense was and what a **** McMahon was.

Ditka admits he totally screwed that up. He says that he did not realize that Payton did not score and he wishes that he could do it over. He even told that to Payton many times and he said that he forgave him for the snub.

That really did suck after watching every game of Payton's career including freezing my *** off at Soldier Field when the Bears where not very good only to see him to not get that TD.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My question is........how did Ditka NOT know? I know they scored alot of points, but GEEZ! You think SOMEONE on the team would have said, "Hey Coach, ya think maybe WALTER could get a TD, instead of the fridge???"

Too late to change it now though. But everyone KNOWS how great Payton was, so we know what he meant to that team.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that Ditka owned up to that mistake but what an idiot for giving that ball to the fridge...

Walter Payton was a class act and one tough SOB.

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Why did Ditka dislike Payton?

Ditka didn't "dislike" Payton. He knew Walter was one of the greatest of all time, who carried that offence on his shoulders. McMahon was never a great quarterback but benifited from the stellar run game of Payton and Suey.

Some say Ditka and McMahon wanted the lime-light in the Super Bowl and did not want to be upstaged by Payton, but I don't believe that. I think it was such a "Carnival" atmosphere on that team with the moonings, making music videos, (Yes Ditka had one too), The fridge runnin the ball in for a TD against the Pack on MNF. By the time the score was run up against the Pats in the SB, they were already celebrating the victory on the sidelines and for "schits and giggles", they gave the ball to the fridge for one more laugh without thinking of Payton. I don't believe it was intentional, and after the damage was done it became an afterthought and I quite sure they had wished they had done differently. But the damage was done and Walter was quite pissed.

As for Ditka still being admired as the "Da Coach" in Chicagoland, has always amazed me. I respect Mr. Halas as "Da Coach". Buddy Ryan and his "D", along with GM Jim Finks who assembled the players for that team, along with a super talented athlete in Payton, won that season and the SuperBowl, not Ditka. Ryan left the next year and that was the end of that "right mix" of chemestry between the d-coach and the players.
Of coarse the McKaskeys had a hand in the decimation of that team as well, but it went down hill fast. The Ditka "ranting" & "yelling" got old fast and didn't produce a winner after that. He got fired.

PackerSacker54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheesehog said:
Zero2Cool said:
Why did Ditka dislike Payton?

Ditka didn't "dislike" Payton. He knew Walter was one of the greatest of all time, who carried that offence on his shoulders. McMahon was never a great quarterback but benifited from the stellar run game of Payton and Suey.

Some say Ditka and McMahon wanted the lime-light in the Super Bowl and did not want to be upstaged by Payton, but I don't believe that. I think it was such a "Carnival" atmosphere on that team with the moonings, making music videos, (Yes Ditka had one too), The fridge runnin the ball in for a TD against the Pack on MNF. By the time the score was run up against the Pats in the SB, they were already celebrating the victory on the sidelines and for "schits and giggles", they gave the ball to the fridge for one more laugh without thinking of Payton. I don't believe it was intentional, and after the damage was done it became an afterthought and I quite sure they had wished they had done differently. But the damage was done and Walter was quite pissed.

As for Ditka still being admired as the "Da Coach" in Chicagoland, has always amazed me. I respect Mr. Halas as "Da Coach". Buddy Ryan and his "D", along with GM Jim Finks who assembled the players for that team, along with a super talented athlete in Payton, won that season and the SuperBowl, not Ditka. Ryan left the next year and that was the end of that "right mix" of chemestry between the d-coach and the players.
Of coarse the McKaskeys had a hand in the decimation of that team as well, but it went down hill fast. The Ditka "ranting" & "yelling" got old fast and didn't produce a winner after that. He got fired.

Good post, Cheesehog. :D

Members online

Latest posts