1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Canadian Football League

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by Unomee, Mar 8, 2011.

1. SanDiegoCheese

SanDiegoCheese West Coast Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +185
    Great post, I really appreciate your insight on Anthony and CFL players. :tup:

2. VersusTheMoose

VersusTheMoose Greatest of All-Time

Ratings:
    +161
    I am not sure what to make of this Ray trade. It looks very, very fishy to me. You do not trade a top 3 QB, under any circumstances. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if money was involved, the league wants the Argos to be competitive next year going into the 100th Grey Cup. Hard to take the league seriously when things like this happen, there is already one guy owning two teams..

3. SanDiegoCheese

Ratings:
    +185
    I had to google this....:laugh:

I take it this is a big deal in the CFL.

4. VersusTheMoose

Ratings:
    +161
    It's like if NO traded Brees to the Gaints for whoever their backup QB is and a draft pick. Shameful on Tillman (GM of Edmonton) and the CFL as a whole if they played a part. Tillman is either a compete idiot, or the CFL is playing puppet master. Simple as that.

5. SanDiegoCheese

Ratings:
    +185
    WOW! :eek:

OK, yeah that's huge thanks for the example.

6. Pegger Packer

Pegger Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +114
    Well, this could STILL work out for both teams. Edmonton got a prime draft pick, a quarterback that has – at the very least - shown flashes of brilliance in the past, and will be playing with receivers like Stamps and Bowman with a solid running game.

Meanwhile, Toronto gets Ray, who is getting up there in age and, as Mark Spector tweeted:

Tillman wants to get "more athletic" at QB. Ray's combo of immobility and weak arm makes him a diminishing asset, IMO.

I would tend to agree with this. Jyles has the ability to scramble and extend plays. Ray is much more of a drop back and pass or take a sack type of player. I'm not sure whether or not Toronto has good enough targets to capitalize on Ray's strengths.

Ah well. I'm glad that there are still things to talk about in the CFL world during the offseason. Waiting to hear who gets chosen as the next Head Coach of the Ti-Cats before i can officially 'shut'er down' and focus on the playoff race in the NFL — and the NHL of course — exclusively.

7. VersusTheMoose

Ratings:
    +161
    Jyles is not even a quality back-up. You are trading a top QB talent for someone who has already failed multiple times in multiple locations. You can believe whatever you wish and justify the deal to yourself until you are blue in the face, this was a terrible football trade. Period.

Tillman should be fired, or the league should come clean about what part they played.

8. Pegger Packer

Pegger Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +114
    Well I certainly don't think Ray is going to do much to right the ship in Toronto.

Jyles isn't going to be an IMPROVEMENT in Edmonton, but through his time in Winnipeg, he was alright at managing games and using his feet to keep plays alive (this was all before his injury, of course). With the running game that remains in Edmonton, and their solid group of recievers, I just cannot definitively say that this is a horrible trade YET, without seeing how things shake up in training camp at least.

Having said that, you're not the only one questioning this move...

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2011/...t-right-about-the-ricky-ray-trade-to-toronto/

I would have to agree that it is suspicious, though, that Toronto gets this big trade when they're hosting the 100th grey cup this year...

Will have to see how the Refs call the games to see if they get the favourable calls...

9. shiftysdad

shiftysdad Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You know, if you're right in your suspicions, I wouldn't mind this. I'm getting so bored of the Als being the only good team in the East.

Sure other teams may beat them one year, but they are usually just a flash in the pan, and next year it's all about the Als again.

You're concerned about taking the league seriously and I gotta tell you; I stopped taking the league seriously years ago. Everything about this league stinks of nonprofessionalism.

I love my Riders, and I enjoy watching CFL, but it's so hard to believe that this is actually a professional league.

10. Pegger Packer

Pegger Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +114
    The East should be really fun to watch this year with Burris, Ray, Calvillo and Pierce all playing for the top spot in the division.

Really looking forward to it!

11. VersusTheMoose

Ratings:
    +161
    Well funny how things turn out. What happen swaggerville? Go Stamps! Lions will be tough. I was proven right about the eskie trade as well.

12. VersusTheMoose

Ratings:
    +161
    Also going to the game versus the Riders next week, should be good.

13. VersusTheMoose

Ratings:
    +161
    Great game last week, and today we just kicked the crap out of the Lions, again. Grey Cup bound!

14. VersusTheMoose

Ratings:
    +161
    Sporting the green and gold as well as the red and black today. Biggest game in CFL history is less than an hour away and my Stampeders are playing in it. 100th Grey Cup and Packers playing the Giants on Sunday night. Does not get much better than this!