Can we really be this bad?

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JS ONLINE: SPORTS: PACKERS: E-MAIL | PRINT
THIS STORY
For those who don't think that this team is in dire straights, read the article below and tell me how you feel now. How did this franchise ever get in this position where we have so many needs? This goes back to one of my previous posts about how important it is to have a personel man in charge of your team, not a coach with no experience as either a head coach or gm. In most drafts, it's a no brainer to take a QB like Leinert, but with the needs this team has and the position they are in to draft how could you pass up some of those needs to take another QB? And yet if Brett told them he was coming back but would play for two or three more years, we could perhaps draft to fill another need. I didn't feel very good after reading this article because I was hoping what I thought was wrong. It appears I'm not alone in feeling that this team is a mess right now.

Call to arms
Thompson, Packers mull picking quarterback
By BOB McGINN
[email protected]
Posted: April 22, 2006
Green Bay - It's just about a given that one or more of three quarterbacks widely viewed throughout the National Football League as substantially better than their own Aaron Rodgers will be available Saturday when the Green Bay Packers determine what to do with the fifth selection in the draft.

Packers General Manager Ted Thompson won't rule out taking a quarterback again.

If Thompson evaluates Southern California's Matt Leinart, Texas' Vince Young and Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler as franchise quarterbacks and Rodgers as a distinct cut below, he will have to think long and hard about the almost unheard-of step of taking a quarterback in the first round for the second consecutive year.

"It's quite possible, yes, depending on how it falls," Thompson said late last week about what might be an agonizing decision. "But it doesn't necessarily eat at me because you can't predict what's going to happen. Ron (Wolf) taught me to prepare yourself for contingencies so that when it comes time you know what you're going to do."

Just as he has done for the past six months, Thompson wouldn't rule out taking a quarterback. Even Rodgers, the 24th pick last April, recognizes it's a possibility.

"I've been hearing rumors, and they could definitely take a quarterback with the fifth pick," Rodgers said on NFL Network last week. "I think that would mean my days in Green Bay are numbered. I hope that doesn't happen because I love the city."

Depending on Brett Favre's decision, the Packers either will need a starting quarterback this year or in a year or two. Thompson reiterated that Favre's plans cannot and will not influence what he does in the draft.

What will determine the Packers' course of action is the evaluation of Rodgers, Leinart, Young and Cutler by Thompson, new coach Mike McCarthy and, to a lesser degree, members of their staff.

If one or more members of the "Big Three" receives a final rating in the Packers' grading system higher than such rare prospects as defensive end Mario Williams of North Carolina State, linebacker A.J. Hawk of Ohio State and tight end Vernon Davis of Maryland, then Thompson might well take the quarterback.

"If anybody knows the value of the quarterback position, it's Green Bay," an executive in personnel for an NFC team said last week. "Maybe to a point they've been spoiled. The rest of us, you don't want to get in that hand-basket. They're going to have to pass a great positional player to do it. But you may only get one bite at the apple on these quarterbacks if you consider them franchise."

Earlier in the month, 18 personnel people representing 16 teams were asked to rank the quarterbacks in this draft as well as Rodgers on a 1-to-4 basis. Four points were awarded for a first-place vote, three for a second and so on.

The lack of regard for Rodgers was readily apparent.

Rodgers received one second-place vote, three thirds and 11 fourths, and three voters even placed him behind either Brodie Croyle of Alabama or Charlie Whitehurst of Clemson. Rodgers had 20 points, far behind Leinart (62), Young (48) and Cutler (45).

Leinart has far greater pedigree and size than Rodgers. Not only are Young and Cutler bigger, they're also better athletes with more upside.

"(Rodgers) doesn't have more great potential that doesn't show," Hall of Fame coach Bill Walsh said last fall. "The fear for Aaron Rodgers is he'll just plateau right at this kind of average level. You'd like to think that if you're spending a (first-round) pick you'd get someone special."

McCarthy spent months evaluating Rodgers a year ago and recommended that San Francisco draft Alex Smith instead with the No. 1 pick. There have been many instances where the hiring of a new coach turns out to be the kiss of death for a young quarterback.

If the Packers draft a quarterback, there would no reason for them to trade Rodgers. He and the newcomer would compete head-to-head for either the No. 1 or No. 2 job.

At some point, the Packers might trade one of them. They will need another quarterback this season, anyway.

While selecting a quarterback in the first round in consecutive years is highly unusual, it wouldn't be without precedent.

In 1989, Dallas coach Jimmy Johnson took Troy Aikman with the No. 1 pick and then gave up a first-round pick three months later to select Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft. A year later, he foisted Walsh on New Orleans for first-, second- and third-round picks.

In the early 1960s, the Los Angeles Rams took Roman Gabriel, Terry Baker and Bill Munson in the first rounds of three consecutive drafts. Miami took Bob Griese in 1967 one year after taking Rick Norton. San Francisco drafted Earl Morrall and then John Brodie back-to-back in 1956-'57.

No matter who's on the board, there will be two or three players left at No. 5 regarded as exceptional by many teams. It should afford Thompson opportunities to trade down.

"Believe me, Ted will be doing amazing business if that's the case," Indianapolis President Bill Polian said of a scenario in which Leinart would be available. "Somebody is coming up to get him. Then you have to weigh what people are giving him versus what he may gain by taking a guy."

In five drafts for Seattle and one for the Packers, Thompson has traded down eight times and never traded up. He entered the '05 draft with seven picks and finished with 11.

Given the laundry list of voids on the roster, look for the Packers to turn their seven picks into a double-digit total once again.

"They need a corner, they need a safety, they need two linebackers, they need a defensive end, they need two inside offensive linemen, they need a running back, a No.1 wideout and, really, the jury's out at quarterback," a personnel director said Friday. "They don't have a kicker and they don't have a punter. Good luck. How many picks do they got?"

The scout said the Packers' depth chart had the makings of a 3-13 team.

If the scout's assessment turns out to be correct, the Packers would be in position to draft a top-rated quarterback such as Notre Dame's Brady Quinn and Michigan State's Drew Stanton in 2007.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is easy and simple math... we need to add at leat 5 guys to our defense and 5 to our ofense, I will say at leat 3 new starters on defense, two LB one CB and one DE and 3-4 new starters on ofense, one WR two guards and one RB,we only have 7 picks and we have a cheap, tighwad, stubborn and arrogant gm who only likes to build via draft.... And dont forget we need a decent punter plus a decent kicker.

So if he is a geniuos far beyond Bohr and Einstein together we might get 2 starters from the draft, if he is also reall lucky we might get 3, I will say the real issue is we will get one instant starter and maybe one guy that we will rush as starter...

Why in hell didnt he signed a couple of decent FA´s at least, that way we will be only looking for 5 or 6 hits in the draft, plus a kicker and a punter, instead of looking for 10 hits in the draft with only 7 picks... instead he let the kicker go..

10 players needd, plus a punter and a kicker, only 7 picks.... mmm I just cant get 12 quality guys from 7 picks, this worries me more as I see Teddy trading down to get more picks even when we get lesser quality players.

o yes we will have a very bad season.. and if Brett retires look for a 1-15 season..

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is with all the "We need DEs" talk lately? Kampman\KGB are fine. Yes, Kampman\Williams would be better, but KGB had a career year last year. Pickett himself said he is improving vastly as a pass rusher as well as a run stopper. I don't get it....

We need RB's too?!?! WTF? Ahman, Najeh, and the Doctor himself, Gado. Ahman and Najeh SHOULD be healthy(ahead of schedule is what i keep hearing). We need RB's?

We have punters competing for the job as we argue in this very thread.

I also disagree with needing TWO Lbs(although I see your point, you have no faith in Taylor). But guess what, it looks like TT\MM\GB is planning on having Taylor be that guy, so what can you\we do about it?

Luckilly, it DOESNT LOOK like Carroll will be the guy, with TT interviewing CBs(well, woodson. Still a lot of CBs left)

If Brett retires, there will be a great earthquake, and floods will wipe out cities.

Thats right, if Favre retires, the world will end.

IF favre retires, we'll be 0-16!

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
What is with all the "We need DEs" talk lately? Kampman\KGB are fine. Yes, Kampman\Williams would be better, but KGB had a career year last year. Pickett himself said he is improving vastly as a pass rusher as well as a run stopper.
!

Actually Tro, KGB kind of regressed with only 8 sacks last year and is a run liability. I think the addition of Hawk and Taylor should help compensate for it, however. The DL is the biggest question mark on the Defense. It needs to start generating some kind of pressure on the QB. I hope one of the young guys can step up and learn how to get to the QB. It's a solid unit IMO, but still lack the a pass rush we need to generate a truly dominant Def.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so he didnt have a career year? because he did have the highest number of tackles in his career.

my point is, he got better when it looked like he was at his peak, who is to say he cant continue to improve and make tackles on run plays.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

I heard if we don't draft who the almighty Brett wants us to, Brett's holographic image will emerge on stage in New York and strike Ted Thompson dead

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A Career year in "tackles" but it was definitely not one of his strongest seasons overall. He still is a run liability no matter how you cut it and if he can't get to the QB like he has in the past, it's almost dead weight out there. His sack total dropped way off last year which concerns me.

I love the guy, got his jersey in fact, but he needs to improve dramatically to be considered "Solid"

We need to generate pressure, period. I would like to think that one of these young guys will step up. If we got the pressure we needed it would take so much of the weight off of the LB's and secondary. Assuming we get Hawk the DL will be the weak spot in this defense.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
tromadz said:

I heard if we don't draft who the almighty Brett wants us to, Brett's holographic image will emerge on stage in New York and strike Ted Thompson dead

You promise?

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
oh negative packerforum.com, how i love you.

it causes me to be negative...it goes in a cycle...i read everyone's ultra negative BS for a while, take it, but internally the pressure builds up and i'll just bug out in one or posts...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know for a lot of people its frustrating cuz we're not getting big name after big name(I dont feel that way, but i understand how others could feel that way)

but when people say "you promise?" after a line about killing the GM, is...(whats a good word here).....retarded.

Hopefully this forum eases down after the draft.

The negativity is amazing. Fire this guy, kill that guy, conspiracy this, sneaky that.

come on.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
I know for a lot of people its frustrating cuz we're not getting big name after big name(I dont feel that way, but i understand how others could feel that way)

but when people say "you promise?" after a line about killing the GM, is...(whats a good word here).....retarded.

The negativity is amazing. Fire this guy, kill that guy, conspiracy this, sneaky that.

come on.

I agree.. You can't buy a Championship, you build one.. I quoted that from Chris Havel's colum today. Usually I don't like his approach but I agree with him there.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

come on.

I always say...football fans have too much time on their hands this time of the year...

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can the JS always gives opinions of some other team officials but usually don't give their names. We aren't even sure that JS's writers actually talk to anybody. They might be just thinking this up by themselves.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

come on.

Yea this is coming from the most negative ********* on the site. Personally, I feel people that use the word "retarded" on any thread is basically an immature gen x'er!

Any smartass comment on the guy that actually mentioned Killing the GM?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah im mr. negative. I'm always spouting how we're gonna be 1-15, or 4-12 again. I'm always telling you about my new conspiracy theory on how favre is being pushed out by an evil egomaniac. I'm the one who bashes a coach who hasnt even coached a game yet to prove anything to you. I'm the one who bashes every move GB makes..or doesn't make. I'm the one making bad jokes hoping for the death of the 2nd year GM.

But yeah....I'm the negative one here. Mr. immature gen'xer!

Later gramps.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gramps...not yet, but someday I hope. Fortunately I'm guessing that you con't reproduce so you'll never achieve this. Please find one thread from me where I bash MM or predict we go 1-15 or 4-12. I never bashed Sherman...can you say the same?

Work a little harder on that MySpace site of yours. It's a real hoot. I recommend anyone that wants to pi$$ their pants laughing to check that out!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You said I was the most negative person here, and I listed other ....ya know...you're not worth my time. Goodbye.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
You said I was the most negative person here, and I listed other ....ya know...you're not worth my time. Goodbye.

You'll be back....you can't stay away. Anytime an argument breaks out it is trom vs. "fill in the blank". That's not negative?

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
8) H-m-m-m! In ten years this will all be just another bad memory. Every team in the NFL tries to build a championship team and only one is truly successful in a given year. The Green Bay Packers are no different; it's just that the fans have been spoiled. Brett will become a fond memory and some other QB will be the new hero. The world will still turn on its axis and the sun shall rise, even in GB.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
tromadz said:

You'll be back....you can't stay away. Anytime an argument breaks out it is trom vs. "fill in the blank". That's not negative?

Your right on DePack, Tro stating something Negative is an everyday thing. I think this is the same guy that Fabricated the "Favre is hurting the team" thing and will not let it die. I suppose thats not Negative?

It's funny he talks about your conspiracy theories yet he post crap stating "This is what TT is REALLY thinking, but is to afraid to say." It's the same thing.

Honestly, I disagree with you and Pack66 on alot of things but at least you do so in a normal manor. Tro resorts to needless name-calling contantly. Then he sits back and acts like he does not do this. All this coming from someone who constantly tries to stir things up. You don't see anyone else with a signature trying to "flame" any other person on this board, besides mr innocent.

I luckily laugh it off because it makes him look silly and people see how "obsessed" he must be with me.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard to say how we'll be right now. If I had to guess RIGHT NOW.. With Brett or another vet 6-10 or 5-11... With A-Rod 3 or 2 wins maybe..

I'm one of the few that have accepted reality. We're rebuilding.. Getting rid of Sherman's mess as a GM and trying to bring in new meat.. I'm fine with it. Every team does it..

Once Training camp comes and we see how this team looks we'll get a better idea. They looked awful last year in TC and you could get the feeling that it wasn't going to be a good year.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Porky it's rough enough to accept rebuilding, but to have to do so when BF wants one more year with a good chance at the SB is what puts the icing on the cake.

It's a fact of life in the NFL

I learned to never say never with BF, but either way it looks like this will be a tough season.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Yeah Porky it's rough enough to accept rebuilding, but to have to do so when BF wants one more year with a good chance at the SB is what puts the icing on the cake.

It's a fact of life in the NFL

I learned to never say never with BF, but either way it looks like this will be a tough season.

Yeah I'm preparing for a rough season but stranger things have happened. We could easily end up 9-7 if Favre returns to the better Brett (I'm talking the 30 and 17 type of Brett) and win the divsion.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts