Camp 1, Day 2 Report - Saturday

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliff, from JSOnline:

Minicamp Report - Camp 1, Day 2

Defensive tackle Donnell Washington, who has yet to appear in a game since being drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the third round in 2004, is being withheld from practice during the current minicamp because he's out of shape. "He was not ready to go in this camp and it was disappointing and he needs to get it corrected," said coach Mike McCarthy. Washington spent the 2004 season on injured reserve after injuring his arch in training camp. Last year, he was unimpressive in training camp, but made the roster and was inactive for 15 of the 16 games. He dressed against Atlanta, but didn't play. McCarthy said Washington had not participated in the off-season lifting program in Green Bay.

Although they were punting in ideal conditions in the Don Hutson Center, B.J. Sander and Jon Ryan seemed to shank more punts than a team could afford in game situations during the Saturday morning and afternoon practices. Nevertheless, McCarthy said he wouldn't label them inconsistent at this point. Sander and Ryan punted in the opposite direction of where the media was allowed to stand so it was impossible to accurately gauge their averages. But Sander, in particular, seemed to struggle the more he punted in the morning session. After two days, it appears that Ryan, who punted in the Canadian Football League, has the leg strength to challenge Sander for the job.

Second-year quarterback Aaron Rodgers started slowly Saturday morning. In the first team session, he threw high on two rollouts and neither Bubba Franks nor Marc Boerigter could make the catches, although they both got their hands on the ball. In his first turn in 7-on-7, Rodgers was 1 for 3. He threw high to Donald Driver and overthrew Rod Gardner on a deep ball. His only completion was to running back Arliss Beach on a checkdown. Thereafter, Rodgers was 3 for 3 in his other turn in 7-on-7, including a deep strike to rookie wide receiver Greg Jennings. In the final team session, Rodgers also was 3 for 3 in his two turns, including a deep slant to Gardner on a rollout and a deep pass to Boerigter down the sideline. In the afternoon, Rodgers got off to a slow start again. In the first team session, he threw an interception to rookie defensive end Dave Tollefson and was 1 for 3 in his first 7-on-7 session, including overthrowing rookie wide receiver Cory Rodgers on a deep ball. But Aaron Rodgers was 6 for 7 in his remaining turns in 7-on-7 and the final team session. "I think Aaron is having an excellent minicamp," said McCaryhy. "Statistically, big-play opportunities, controlling the huddle, managing the offense; I think he's had three pretty good practices so far."

Getting a look on punt returns this camp are Charles Woodson, Cory Rodgers, Will Blackmon and Greg Jennings in that order.

Left tackle Aaron Klemm remained sideline with a knee injury suffered Friday. ... Ben Taylor worked with the first unit at outside linebacker after Roy Manning practiced there Friday. ... Cornerback Al Harris missed Saturday afternoon with back spasms. ... Defensive linemen Kenny Peterson is being withheld with an ankle injury. ... Brett Favre didn't participate in team sessions or 7-on-7 in the morning, but took some snaps in the afternoon. Right-click to get URL suitable for linking
----------------------

LOL, McCarthy owned Washington. Cmon Packers, be in shape! You get paid milions!

A-Rod didnt sound too hot though, regardless of what McCarthy said. But its early. Our 7th round DE picked him off! lol..but yeah..its early.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its may, they're just exploring all options.

hey, we have MULTIPLE guys who can do that this year...and thats a problem I like to have.

TT is creating a lot of problems I like to have, like Ben taylor vs Hodge vs Poppinga.

Reaction score
Don't write of MANNING! He has some solid potential, IMO.

Washington should be cut, I'd be shocked if he somehow found a way to make the roster again.

A-Rod is going to have ups and downs, but its nice to know he has the ability to bounce back, even if it is only practice.

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the report! I'm working out of town,and don't get to hear much.I need to get a laptop! I'll be leaving tomorrow again... :Evil: :kickcan:

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Washington begins the year on the wrong side of the bubble.
The Packers certainly want a better player than he on the roster.

I think an upgrade over Martin can be found with so many TE's drafted this year. During the final cuts one will likely be found.

I think an FB could have been drafted or acquired to compete with Leach.
Drafting Bernstein or other FB instead of any of the final 3 draft picks would have been a good choice. A Henderson injury would be bad.

At this point I am concerned with the zone blocking and sorting who fits and does not fit on the offensive line. I believe it to be the weak spot of the team currently. Not from a talent shortage but the coaches getting the system implemented with the right players. There are working on it.

The offensive backfield adds only Ingle Martin other than camp bodies.

Relatively minor items however.

I am pleased with what has been done during the off season and know that some good players will be cut. McCarthy said the defense is ahead of the offense which is normal early in the year.

There are less than 100 days to the first preseason game. The talent is there and it is now up to the coaches.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheez I agree with your asessment for the most part.

Martin could be upgraded but you would also be looking at a 3rd TE. I guess for a 3rd Stringer Martin is Ok.

FB is fine. The Vonta/Willie combo is sweet. I like Vonta and think he will only get better.

You are dead on with the O-Line thing. They have the bodies but I don't know if you can get rookies to change the way they play in 3 months. These Guys are going to have a real wake-up call when they start trying to throw half-*** blocks on NFL calibur players. They are already undersized so they better get tough real quick!

Backfield wise they are fine.

WR's seem very good

Kick Returner is still up in the air. We could have a few guys fighting for the spot but just because they are fast does not make them an option. Still a big Question mark but my money is on Rodgers.

Punter.......yuck.......

FG kicker.....yuck.....

DL looks good except for the mystery DT. Should be able to find someone to play that spot between the 5-6 guyson the roster.Should be a good battle.

LB's seem good to me. I think Taylor will win the spot even with all the Hodge hoopla.

CB's are solid as a rock.

Safety spots seem set with Collins and Roman/Manual

In my opinion the O-Line is the biggest problem on this team. I just don't know if we can make it work with Rookies who are not refined.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
stop calling our O-linesmen undersized, they aren't undersized. They are a perfect fit for the blocking scheme GB is running now.

You said Colledge is undersized, he's 6'4" and 299 lbs,

Wahle is 6'6" and 309 lbs...

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts