Bubble Players

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A brief look at the bubble players.

On defense

DB I see Hawkins Horton and Franz on bubble with 8 DB's ahead of them.
DL Hunt, True Luck, and Montgomery(practice squad)
LB Lenon 5th and Popinga is 6th are safe. Thompson or Navies start.

On Offense

QB Sullivan is out and Mc Brien is eligible for practice squad.
RB no suprises(5) but with 4 of 5 in final year at least 2 PS spots are RB's
WR Bragg, Thurman battle for 6th spot; Bragg to PS. May go with 5 WR's.
Walker hold out allows for spot until his return and a guy has to clear waivers to the PS.
T Bedell and Barry at 3 and 4 are safe. Only 4 kept.
G Coston 4th on bubble but could be PS. Whittacker 5th PS
TE only 3 make it look for late addition from NFL final cuts. Steele on bubble.

The August 30 cut to 65 is easy. Practice squad spots will be competitive.

spaulding

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Roman and Johnson are more likely on the bubble than Hawkins. I think the general consensus is another team would sign him if they tried to get him to the PS.

Lenon will lose his roster spot to the loser of the Navies/Thompson battle.

Thurman will lose out to Bragg. Bragg was drafted after all.

Agree on Whitticker but at the most questionable spot depth wise on the roster Coston sticks.

Luchey could be on the bubble because of his salary. They could keep Leach for cheap and if Mchugh sticks he can also play FB. That's where he played at Penn State.

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lenon I think is relatively safe because I think 6 LB's make the team.
I think Johnson is gone that is why he is not listed. Roman stays due to salary cap implications and over a half million in prorated bonuses yet to be accounted under the cap.

spaulding

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They only kept 5 LB's kast year and after losing OL and WR depth last year they are more likely to carry more players at those positions, not to mention the DB's.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe - maybe not... I wasn't all that thrilled with Lenon's play last year anyway.

I just don't see McBrien staying on the Roster... although, O'Sullivan probably never will get near the field during the regular season. Biggest determination will be who can hold the friggin' ball for field goals... properly.

Both Steele and Sean McHugh were given pretty good reports into late last season.
Only Steele got time on the field and it was very rookie-like.....
Word on McHugh is he's alot like Bubba in ability. Curious that....
Word on Steele at the outset was "Chewey returns".... but he's since dropped too many passes to be believe-able - - it could just be technique.

Currently, the O-Line backups are fluid - no confirmation, as I see it, yet.
Hunt should get the axe - but then how much to the Packers take a hit for ???
I like the size on Washington, Whitticker, & Montgomery - Something to watch on all three!

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am concerned if Bragg end up on PS someother team will try and sign him to an active player contract. better to keep him and let Thurman or someone else go. Of course we have to see what happens with Walker 1st.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious about the fullback spot. I wouldn't count out the kid Vonta Leach just yet. I think he has a shot to make the team. He's young, physical, and comes much cheaper than Henderson or Luchey. Leach made some crushing blocks on special teams last year in the preseason. If he can bring that to the offense, he could be a keeper.

I love Henderson to death, but at some point he's going to run out of gas. I don't know if that's this year or not. Luchey has as much ability as anyone at FB, but at times he's out of shape, injured, or lacking a little in the desire department.

If Leach has made some more strides in the off season, I think he has a chance to make the roster and knock someone else off the bubble at FB.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
I'm curious about the fullback spot. I wouldn't count out the kid Vonta Leach just yet. I think he has a shot to make the team. He's young, physical, and comes much cheaper than Henderson or Luchey. Leach made some crushing blocks on special teams last year in the preseason. If he can bring that to the offense, he could be a keeper.

I love Henderson to death, but at some point he's going to run out of gas. I don't know if that's this year or not. Luchey has as much ability as anyone at FB, but at times he's out of shape, injured, or lacking a little in the desire department.

If Leach has made some more strides in the off season, I think he has a chance to make the roster and knock someone else off the bubble at FB.

Agreed APF.
My wish is they find room for all three. Leach more than likely needs some more seasoning. WH should get most of the snaps but maybe Luchey can find a way to contribute more and earn his paycheck.

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cutting Luchey has some cap implications but save money in the long run. I have not seen enough of Leach to comment fully.
I think some of the other camp battles will be(not in any order)
Thurman and Bragg
Horton and Hawkins
Thompson and Navies (though I think they both will make the team)
Starting Guards
Pecking order of defensive line 8th, 9th, and 10th(if they keep 10) positions.
Starting Safeties and do they keep 5

This will be one of the better training camps as there is good competition for spots.

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colin Cole
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Jason Horton

Vonta Leach

Nick Luchey

Paris Lenon

J.T. O'Sullivan

Andrae Thurman

R-Kal Truluck

Corey Williams

Walter Williams

Chris Day

MAY THE BEST PLAYERS MAKE IT

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice pics california, but there's not way that Corey Williams is on the bubble. He has moved into Hunt's position (he's the same size as Hunt) during the minicamps and he's already impressing the coaches there. This guy's got size, speed and great motivation. I think he'll be taking time away from Hunt the way Jenkins did last season.

Actually Jenkins and Williams could both start this season in opposite positions they played last season. Jenkins is doing very well moving outside and will push Kampman as the other DE (he was a DT last season). Williams has done very well moving inside and will push Hunt at DT (he was a DE last season).

Of course the change in positions is due to the new defense -- Jenkins is too small to be effect inside for Bates' defense, Williams is too big for a DE in Bates' DL. We have a lot of tweeners on the DL right now, but I think the coaches can make them fit. The best part is that these young players all appear to be very motivated and quick.

chickpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think JT has just as good as a chance to make the team as Nall.
Don't laugh. If JT is smart he will have spent the offseason studying the offense and he could give Nall a run for his money.

If Rodger's shows anything in camp they might use Nall as trade bait to another west coast offense team and keep JT and Rodger.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
chickpackfan said:
If Rodger's shows anything in camp they might use Nall as trade bait to another west coast offense team and keep JT and Rodger.

CPF,
I miss read your comment. I thought you said to use RODGERS as the trade bait.
I was wondering what you had been drinking today. Only it must be me. :oops:

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If its true that Nick Luchey weighs 280 lbs or whatever, I don't think he is going to be an effective fullback, and I think that we should give Vonta Leach a chance to improve in that position...we're gonna re-sign William Henderson, I dont think this position is a concern.

I'd like to see Cullen Jenkins made into a DE, maybe if we're lucky we can develop his play vs. the run well enough so that KGB can be removed on some running downs.

Paris Lenon is steady, not going to get much out of him but we dont need much out of the last LB on our depth chart. Keep him around, he's familiar with his surroundings, he'll help on special teams.

I personally dislike Jason Horton the most out of our cornerbacks, I want him released

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish them all well in fair competition. Some of these guys we have not seen much in a Packer uniform so I thought I would post their pictures. Nothing is implied in the order.

Since posting we heard from Ryan on pictures and thread integrity. If the thread gets messed up it is because it was posted prior to Ryan's instructions. Most of the photos come from Packers.com so if one of them is cut you may see the white square with red X when link is deleted at Packers.com

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
Since posting we heard from Ryan on pictures and thread integrity. If the thread gets messed up it is because it was posted prior to Ryan's instructions. Most of the photos come from Packers.com so if one of them is cut you may see the white square with red X when link is deleted at Packers.com

don't worry about that Cali...it was more of a suggestion than a rule. posting pics from other sites is still fine with the boss.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Okay Bobby - that means we'll be looking at KGB oposite of Kampman?

I like that setup - and it very well could work!

Actually I was only talking about the DE spot opposite of KGB. KGB fits perfectly into Bates' defense, but we'll also need a faster rusher from the opposite side. Kampman does not fit that mold. He's a steady player, but I think Jenkins will push him for the spot due to being faster and a better rusher.

So potentially we could be looking at a starting DL of KGB, Grady, Corey Williams and Jenkins. I like this since everyone on that starting line gives 100% effort and they all have the abilities to be very effective.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lat year, I didn't see Jenkins gettin to the QB all that well, like KGB has been known to do... Certainly, I'd like to see it, but didn't notice it happening with regards to that player.

As far as Kampman is concerned, we all noticed that he was wherever the ball was more often times than not. All of the players should be swarming to the ball - isn't that Bates style? Adding Corey Williams next to Gravy? Hopefully that'll help keep him healthy - but usually, Jackson does end up on the Injured List somewhere along midseason, or early on, and we're stuck... I hope we're deep enough to cover that when it happens.

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some things are changing from my opinion in June. Lenon will have to show something to stay.

It appears I have been underestimating Hawkins.

If O'Dwyer does not win starting job he should get cut. The risk of keeping one of the younger guys is getter than risk of losing them.

Anyone seen Leach challenging Luchey??

I have not heard much about Bragg and Thurman.

I have faith that a TE will be picked up from another team during final cuts.

I really want to see some play rather than counting on sportwriters. Appears we will keep more DL at the expense of LB and CB. We are going to cut a couple of good receivers.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as Martin stays healthy, he will remain as the backup TE. Franks will be back, it's just a matter of time. Steele is playing well enough to be a good #3 TE, but needs to improve with receiving (there's always going to be weaknesses with your #3 TE.) So it's doubtful that we'll be adding another TE.

At WR, we'll probably keep 5 with Chatman and Murphy filling the last 2 spots.

Leach will not bump Luchey because Luchey brings a lot of talent to running and receiving along with his solid blocking.

It's obvious that Hawkins will be on the team. He's the #4 CB right now behind Harris and Carroll/Thomas. The more interesting battle is at safety. Both Collins and Underwood are playing well, so which veteran player gets cut? Roman, Little or Freeman. Roman has been seeing the most time with the starting defense thusfar...

Members online

Latest posts