Brett settles lawsuit

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thought of Favre still makes me nauseous. Until he publicly apologizes to Thompson for biting the hand that fed him, apologizes to McCarthy for rudely showing up and turning training camp into a circus, and apologizes to Rodgers for being an overall little runt ... I could really care less about Favre.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anybody think Favre can see his way clear to apologize for not showing for work on time several years running, not preparing adequately, and throwing too many key interceptions because he overvalued himself in clutch time?
If you believe his first retirement speech, he threw everything that he had into the 2007 season, watching game film immediately after games instead of celebrating victories. That was one major reason that he publicly cited for retiring from the Packers. The massive preparation became too draining and took the fun out of winning.

Of course, that doesn't speak up for the lax Mike Sherman years

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The thought of Favre still makes me nauseous. Until he publicly apologizes to Thompson for biting the hand that fed him, apologizes to McCarthy for rudely showing up and turning training camp into a circus, and apologizes to Rodgers for being an overall little runt ... I could really care less about Favre.

As you see, that is okay to say :)

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As you see, that is okay to say :)

Ha! That is me being mildly kind about it. Make no mistake ... I'm very grateful and thankful for the great things he did, the iron man streak, the countless records and most importantly - his sheer dominance over the Bears. But, by the time he threw 6 picks in a playoff game, I pretty much knew the sandlot, reckless garbage was going to be a detriment. I was at the 2007 NFC title game and after that one, I couldn't wait for him to leave. Good riddance. His rocket balls and sandlot junk won us a lot of games, too - yes. But, his selfish reappearance in 2008, has him squarely remaining on my dartboard. No offense to those who feel otherwise.

H

HardRightEdge

If you believe his first retirement speech, he threw everything that he had into the 2007 season, watching game film immediately after games instead of celebrating victories. That was one major reason that he publicly cited for retiring from the Packers. The massive preparation became too draining and took the fun out of winning.

Of course, that doesn't speak up for the lax Mike Sherman years

I don't believe his retirement speech.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2007 Favre quit on the team during the Cowboys game and the Bears game, then at the end of the Giants game that ruined another Championship. Why would any coach want him back? The streak will never be broken. He was tough. But he became bigger than the team and the game, in his own mind.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2007 Favre quit on the team during the Cowboys game and the Bears game, then at the end of the Giants game that ruined another Championship. Why would any coach want him back? The streak will never be broken. He was tough. But he became bigger than the team and the game, in his own mind.

The streak became bigger than the team. His legacy became bigger than the team. From a strictly football perspective, he should have been pulled in the NFC championship game.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm struggling to remember what you are referring to in the Bears game, but Favre was single-handedly making the 2007 work since he had less of a running game than Rodgers has had. His shoulder also got destroyed in that game, bringing in our first look at Rodgers who almost brought us back to win the game.

You also can't toss the championship game loss on Favre. #1 - nobody was going to beat the Giants. They were charmed that post-season. #2 - the defense couldn't stop the running game. #3 - Al Harris was abused by Burris. #4 - our offensive line couldn't open a hole in the running game. There are a lot of fingers to point in that loss, not just the guy who made the final mistake.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
I'm struggling to remember what you are referring to in the Bears game, but Favre was single-handedly making the 2007 work since he had less of a running game than Rodgers has had. His shoulder also got destroyed in that game, bringing in our first look at Rodgers who almost brought us back to win the game.

You also can't toss the championship game loss on Favre. #1 - nobody was going to beat the Giants. They were charmed that post-season. #2 - the defense couldn't stop the running game. #3 - Al Harris was abused by Burris. #4 - our offensive line couldn't open a hole in the running game. There are a lot of fingers to point in that loss, not just the guy who made the final mistake.
The Bears game that year was a frigid nightmare weather-wise. It was very freaking cold and the general consensus was that Favre just shut down and quit in that game, whereas Orton played through it and was instrumental in winning the game.

You're right about the defense, Harris and the O-line, but let's remember at the end of regulation the score was 20-20 and we had possession. All we needed was to get within FG range, but Favre's boneheaded interception cost us any chance at that. So in effect the loss is squarely on his shoulders.

Lombardi'sGhost

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It makes TOTAL sense to settle. I've been in lawsuits that were unjustified and believe me, it takes a lot of time energy and creates a lot of stress. The insurance company is probably the one that paid anyway. It's easy to say "fight it," but have you every been in that situation?

Cut #4 some slack - I sense it's more about some of you hating Favre than seeing the practicalities.

H

HardRightEdge

I might have missed it, but I don't think anyone has made an obvious point.

If you claim innocence, fight the charges in court, and then lose, you'll likely pay a whole lot more than if you settle up front. Whether you are in fact innocent becomes irrelevant at that point. Settling becomes a matter of risk management and loss control.

This is not to say I think Favre is guiltless. He has a track record. But settling is certainly no indication of guilt.

Lombardi'sGhost

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point, HardRightEdge! Our legal system sucks, but it is what it is. Anyone can sue anyone for any excuse. "The loser pays all legal fees" is the best system, but the attorneys (many of whom are our elected officials and write our laws in our country) are protecting their own best financial interests rather than the rest of us. On further thought, let's get rid of all the attorneys.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I might have missed it, but I don't think anyone has made an obvious point.

If you claim innocence, fight the charges in court, and then lose, you'll likely pay a whole lot more than if you settle up front. Whether you are in fact innocent becomes irrelevant at that point. Settling becomes a matter of risk management and loss control.

This is not to say I think Favre is guiltless. He has a track record. But settling is certainly no indication of guilt.

I rather try to clear my name..Even if it costs twice as much...

Brett has enough $$

Maybe to worried what would be asked of him under oath? Could be very sensitive info he would have to answer..

Now that is something I can see being a very valid reason

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Does anybody think Favre can see his way clear to apologize for not showing for work on time several years running, not preparing adequately, and throwing too many key interceptions because he overvalued himself in clutch time?
Take him to court. He`ll probably settle...;)

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Bottom line is, in a court case the women would have to prove that the complaints they made cost them their jobs. I believe that, with them being contract employee's that would be difficult to do. They would have to get people from the Jets to testify as to that being the reason they were not called back. The Jets could give any number of reasons why they didn't call them back. Or they would have to prove that Brett had control over who the Jets hired. A stretch in any case.

Don't take this wrong, this is not about his guilt or innocence in sending the texts, I just think they would have had a hard time winning. The only winners would be the attorney's with billable hours.

Fishwhisper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets break down the life of a superstar. When Bret was a little boy and playing football, all he had heard from everyone was how great he was. Then in High School he was told howe great he was. Then in College he was told how great he was. Then when he made the NFL he was told how great he was.
Now I will never ever say what Bret did was right, in fact he got what he deserved. But the reality of it all is that we, common people, can never understand what a superstar mind set is. That priviledge is only for the top 0.0001% of the people in this world. When you're told that you can do no wrong, that your the best, I can only imagine that you start believe it and rules,ethics are not designed for you.

Members online

Latest posts