Bob McGinn of jsonline season's numbers

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-season-by-the-numbers-2b8e0bo-187406961.html

A few days after the 2011 season, coach Mike McCarthy pledged that the team's inferior tackling would improve substantially in 2012. The numbers show that it did.

The Packers' defense missed 100 tackles in 18 games, a marked improvement from 140 misses in 17 games last season.

On special teams, the reduction in misses from 37 to 19 was dramatic.

Charles Woodson, who led the team in misses a year ago with 18, had just four this season in 49.8% playing time. Sam Shields lowered his misses from 12 to three.

Tramon Williams and Morgan Burnett each missed 11 tackles. They were followed by A.J. Hawk and Brad Jones, nine; Casey Hayward, eight; M.D. Jennings, Jerron McMillian, B.J. Raji and Erik Walden, six; Mike Daniels, four; Davon House, D.J. Smith and Jerel Worthy, three; Jarrett Bush, Clay Matthews and Dezman Moses, two; and Ryan Pickett and C.J. Wilson, one.

Three players didn't miss a tackle: Mike Neal, Nick Perry and Frank Zombo.

The Packers registered 41 tackles for loss in 18 games, about on par with the past two seasons.

In 2009, Dom Capers' first season as coordinator, the unit had 64 tackles for loss in 17 games.

As a unit, the D-line had 64½ pressures, an improvement from 37 last season but still well down from 101½ in 2010. The linebackers dipped from 130 to 122½; the secondary from 17 to 15.

Coordinator Dom Capers blitzed five or more on 35.4% of dropbacks, a decrease from 42.2% last season. His rate in 2011 was the highest since the Journal Sentinel began tracking rush numbers in 1998.

Capers blitzed six on 3.3% of dropbacks, down from 4.5% in 2009, 3.7% in '10 and 5.7% in '11. He never sent more than six.

The Packers' offensive line was charged with 35 of the team's 55 sacks in 18 games, or 63.6%. Last year, the unit allowed 24½ of 45, or 54.4%.

Aaron Rodgers was responsible for the most sacks with 14. Since becoming a starter five years ago, he has been charged with 9½ sacks in 2008, 16½ in '09, 13½ in '10 and 6½ in '11.

Marshall Newhouse allowed 11 sacks, one-half more than his team-high total of 10½ a year ago. It is the most given up by a Green Bay O-lineman since Tony Mandarich yielded 12½ in '90.

In the regular season, the Packers ranked 28th in sack percentage. Since a third-place finish in 2007, they have ranked 18th in '08, 29th in '09, 20th in '10 and 22nd in '11.

When the Packers won the Super Bowl in 1996, they ranked 18th in sack percentage. From 1997-2006, they never ranked worse than 10th ('98).

Meanwhile, the Packers gave up 116 "bad" runs in 480 rushing attempts, a 24.2% rate that was almost identical to last year. A bad run is defined as a gain of 1 yard or less excluding short-yardage, goal-line and kneel-down plays.

Saturday was charged with 18, followed by Lang (14½), Newhouse (13½), Jermichael Finley (9½), Dietrich-Smith (8½), Bulaga (seven), Tom Crabtree (seven), Sitton (6½), Barclay (four), Green (3½), John Kuhn (3½), Ryan Taylor (3½) and Cedric Benson (three).

The target of 75 passes, Jennings dropped one - a short pass in the end zone in the second Minnesota game - for a drop rate of 1.33%. His previous best rate was 3.77% (six of 159) in 2010.

James Jones, with three drops in 108 targets, had a career-best rate of 2.78% after finishing with 10.53% last year.

Elsewhere at wide receiver, Nelson dropped six of 84 (7.14%)
Randall Cobb dropped a team-high 10 of 110 (9%). Jarrett Boykin didn't drop any of six, but Donald Driver dropped three of 13 (23.1%). Driver's last outstanding catching season was 2007 (two of 134).

At tight end, Jermichael Finley dropped six of 95 (6.3%),
D.J. Williams dropped one of 14 (7.1%), Tom Crabtree dropped two of 13 (15.4%) and Ryan Taylor didn't drop any of two.

As units, the wide receivers dropped 23 of 396 (5.81%), the tight ends nine of 124 (7.26%) and the running backs six of 86 (7%).

In 2011, the Packers allowed 85 plays of 20 yards or more in 17 games, more than they had given up in any season since the Journal Sentinel began tracking the statistic in 1994.

This year, they allowed 71 in 18 games, a total that still was higher than any season from 2005-'10.
A total of 55 of the 20-plus plays were passes and 16 were runs. From 1994 to the present, the total of 16 runs joins 2004 as the most allowed in a season.

This season, the Packers took a step backward, tying for 19th in penalties (103) and ranking 24th in penalty yards (923).

The problem was on defense, where the penalty total for all games increased from 19 in 2011 to 48. That was the highest total in Green Bay since 2007 (64).

After not having a single penalty in 17 games last year, the D-line had 13 this season. B.J. Raji led with four, followed by Mike Neal and Jerel Worthy with three.

The offense had 43 penalties, its fewest since 2007.

The Packers finished the regular season tied for second in fewest giveaways with 16 after having finished second in 2011 with a club-record 14 and leading the NFL in 2009 with 16.

Meanwhile, they slipped from a tie for first to a tie for 18th in takeaways with 23, down from 38 a year ago. The Packers recovered merely five opponents' fumbles, their lowest total since 1995.

In all, the Packers ranked 10th in turnover differential at plus-7. They were plus-2 in the playoffs.
Counting all games, coach Mike McCarthy is plus-77 in seven seasons. He is plus-76 in 112 regular-season games and plus-1 in 10 playoff games.

In all, the Packers had 70 gains of 20 yards or more in 18 games compared with 78 in 17 games in 2011, 83 in 20 in '10, 76 in 17 in '09, 57 in 16 in '08, 76 in 18 in '07 and 54 in 16 in '06.

Counting just the regular season, Rodgers led the league in passer rating for the second straight year with a mark of 108.0. His rating in all games was 106.8.

The average release time of Rodgers' nine interceptions was 3.11 seconds, up from 2.60 last year but down from 3.89 in 2009 and 3.18 in '10.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could drop a whole lot of these stats into various threads on this forum. Certainly the Newhouse sack total could be useful in that discussion. The drop in missed tackles was a big shock to me. Think about what would happen if you eliminated those Adrian Peterson games!

What stats jumped out at all of you the most?

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is more of what McGinn said about the O-Line

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-season-by-the-numbers-2b8e0bo-187406961.html
"MEASURING THE O-LINE

The Packers' offensive line was charged with 35 of the team's 55 sacks in 18 games, or 63.6%. Last year, the unit allowed 24½ of 45, or 54.4%.

Aaron Rodgers was responsible for the most sacks with 14. Since becoming a starter five years ago, he has been charged with 9½ sacks in 2008, 16½ in '09, 13½ in '10 and 6½ in '11.

Marshall Newhouse allowed 11 sacks, one-half more than his team-high total of 10½ a year ago. It is the most given up by a Green Bay O-lineman since Tony Mandarich yielded 12½ in '90.

Rodgers and Newhouse were followed by Bryan Bulaga (six), T.J. Lang (5½), Don Barclay (four), Josh Sitton (3½), Evan Dietrich-Smith (three) and Jeff Saturday (two).

The running backs were charged with just 1½ sacks and the tight ends only one.

There was no fault assigned to three sacks. Among players who didn't give up a sack were Jermichael Finley, D.J. Williams, DuJuan Harris, James Starks and Ryan Grant.

In the regular season, the Packers ranked 28th in sack percentage. Since a third-place finish in 2007, they have ranked 18th in '08, 29th in '09, 20th in '10 and 22nd in '11.

When the Packers won the Super Bowl in 1996, they ranked 18th in sack percentage. From 1997-2006, they never ranked worse than 10th ('98).

Newhouse, with 42½, allowed the most pressures. That includes all sacks, knockdowns and hurries. Newhouse's total, one more than a year ago, is the highest since the Journal Sentinel began recording the statistic in 1999."

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
You could drop a whole lot of these stats into various threads on this forum. Certainly the Newhouse sack total could be useful in that discussion. The drop in missed tackles was a big shock to me. Think about what would happen if you eliminated those Adrian Peterson games!

You bring up an interesting point. I'd like to see the game splits on these. I think it would probably prove that certain players just had a bad game or two.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I bolded the ones..

And as far as putting them in other areas..Go for it :)

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newhouse was supposed to be behind Bulaga and Sherrod.
That was the plan when Teddy Ballgame drafted the 2 guys in the first round.
Damn injuries.
And Newhouse caused the one to Sherrod, ironically, in KC. Also caused us to lose our first game of the 2011 season that day too. Might have given Tamba Hali some credentials for Canton that day.....

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So when a receiver lays out for a Rodgers pass and gets injured you say its Rodgers fault??
Faver always got blamed for hanging Robert Brooks and Antonio Freeman out...so yes sometimes.

Maybe you will agree with this:
LT lets his guy around him all game long, sacks Rodgers 3 times, and 5 hits. Rodgers gets hurt on the 8th one and is done.
Do you not blame the LT at all?
Are you a guy who believes noone ever is to blame, Howard Jones?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would blame the GM for not having a better option. You can't blame a player for trying his best and failing. That's bush league arm-chair quarterbacking. I would not blame you, FrankRizzo, if the Packers brass put you out on the field to protect Rodgers and he got hurt. Although you seem to advocate that we all should. These guys are all trying hard, it's only our expectations that allow for being "let down."

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I would blame the GM for not having a better option. You can't blame a player for trying his best and failing. That's bush league arm-chair quarterbacking. I would not blame you, FrankRizzo, if the Packers brass put you out on the field to protect Rodgers and he got hurt. Although you seem to advocate that we all should. These guys are all trying hard, it's only our expectations that allow for being "let down."
You could blame the coach for not teaching the player, the player for not learning enough, or the GM who brought the two together. All depends on your view based on the limited info available.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Faver always got blamed for hanging Robert Brooks and Antonio Freeman out...so yes sometimes.

Maybe you will agree with this:
LT lets his guy around him all game long, sacks Rodgers 3 times, and 5 hits. Rodgers gets hurt on the 8th one and is done.
Do you not blame the LT at all?
Are you a guy who believes noone ever is to blame, Howard Jones?

you said a off lineman got another one hurt Why?

and yes I agree with that

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL

You said he got hurt from another lineman...Why/how did the lineman hurt the other lineman
Because Newhouse was a turnstyle for Tamba Hali all game long. It was his guy who smashed into Sherrod's planted leg while he tended to his guy... blocking. You forgot that was the greatest game in the history of Tamba Hali?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I just want to know what the F*CK do these stat people consider a dropped pass? They have finley as only dropping 6 passes this year.....lol.....what a joke. I watched all packer games this year and can remember way more than 6.
If it hits you in the hands, and you dont catch it, it should be considered a drop, end of story.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I just want to know what the F*CK do these stat people consider a dropped pass? They have finley as only dropping 6 passes this year.....lol.....what a joke. I watched all packer games this year and can remember way more than 6.
If it hits you in the hands, and you dont catch it, it should be considered a drop, end of story.
Seems they differentiate between a dropped pass and a bad pass. PFF says only 9:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/22/signature-stats-drop-rate-tight-ends/

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So when the QB misfires, the receiver lays out, and it touches his fingertips that's a drop by the TE/WR? I'd like to know just what the F*CK drives that line of thinking? Everything is not perfect in this world, even with statistics. There occasionally needs to be subjective judgement put into the equation. I suggest that you watch each game tape and give us your estimated number of drops for comparison. Otherwise you're just blowing hot air

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ okay, by that sense, when the QB delivers a perfect strike that goes through his hands, hits him in the guts and drops to the turf....what do ya wanna call that? Seen that multiple times this season. Fact of the matter is: more times than not, his drops have been the result of HIM, not Arod......and it WAS more than 9......hell he had 3 in one game that went through his butter fingers.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
● IMO the play caller/OC (in our case, McCarthy) deserves a good part of the blame if an O linemen is getting beat repeatedly. Perhaps the player isn't in as good shape as he should be and/or perhaps he didn't pay enough attention to his coaching or the scouting report. Perhaps he has physical limitations that prevent him from being successful and he really is doing all he can to succeed. But in game, it doesn't matter! Whatever the reason, the player opposite him has to be doubled or chipped on 5-7 step drops. That player needs to be accounted for, whether it's trapping him in the running game if he's being over-aggressive, or double teaming him and running right at him. Unless there is someone on the bench who has a chance to do better, the play caller has to account for that guy.

● No matter what, unless you can prove intent (and of course you can't), IMO it's ridiculous to blame Newhouse for Sherrod's injury.

● When a completely objective source (as far as I know) has Finley dropping 9 passes in the season, IMO the burden shifts to someone alleging there were a lot more. Most passes that hit receivers in the hands should be caught and considered drops if they aren't, but not all. I remember one in particular that Finley got a hand on that definitely should not have been considered a drop. McGinn's season-ending grades have Finley dropping 5 passes and losing a fumble in the first five games of the season and then just one drop and no fumbles for the rest of the season. There may have been 3-4 more drops but that coincides with my recollection of Finley's season: He definitely got better as the season went on. My guess is a pre-existing dislike for Finley plays into some fans "seeing" drops that didn't occur.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget that a "leak" from the organization said that Finley would be traded unless he played better. That was before the first Chicago game. Magically, he played better. I'm not a big Finley fan by admission and this is another reason why. He has immense talent, but it takes a statement like this to get him playing better. Maybe we should just threaten to cut him before each game!

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Let's not forget that a "leak" from the organization said that Finley would be traded unless he played better. That was before the first Chicago game. Magically, he played better. I'm not a big Finley fan by admission and this is another reason why. He has immense talent, but it takes a statement like this to get him playing better. Maybe we should just threaten to cut him before each game!
Logic says that would lose its effect quickly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts