Bleacher Report is reporting that Brandon Bostick has been released.

D

Deleted member 6794

Koren Robinson, Conrad Bolston.

True, different story though as Thompson was heavily involved in drafting Robinson when he was with the Seahawks in 2001. Bolston played in a single game for the Vikings.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since Thompson took over Guion is the only he has signed from the Vikings. On the other hand if you pick up Dorsey (I'm surprised no one in the Minnedota front office has realized he's been released) all of your starting WR/TE could be Packers cast-offs.

I hope Bostick is their starting TE. That means no more Kyle Rudolph.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Fact is over the years it's been a two way street. Only the players the Vikings have picked up were for the most part better than the players the Packers picked up from the Vikings.
Since the Vikings for the most part have had crappy teams over the years and the Packers for the most part have had good teams over the years, it would have to be that way, wouldn't it? ;)

H

HardRightEdge

It's gratifying to know that one bad play does not end a guy's career.

That's not to say Bostick will survive final cuts on performance going forward, but he gets another shot.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Not really. Not when you look at the players the Packers picked up from the Vikings in the 70's and 80's. I don't think any were major contributors to the Packers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's gratifying to know that one bad play does not end a guy's career.

That's not to say Bostick will survive final cuts on performance going forward, but he gets another shot.
He apparently has talent, I know he made a few catches 2 years ago that gave me reason to think he had a higher ceiling. For some reason he couldn't gain the coaches trust to see the field on offense after an early injury this year. I can't say it was because everyone else was so solid in their position it kept him off the field, because our TE play was barely adequate this year.

H

HardRightEdge

He apparently has talent, I know he made a few catches 2 years ago that gave me reason to think he had a higher ceiling. For some reason he couldn't gain the coaches trust to see the field on offense after an early injury this year. I can't say it was because everyone else was so solid in their position it kept him off the field, because our TE play was barely adequate this year.
When a GB receiver has physical talents but doesn't see the field you can pretty much figure zigging in practice when Rodgers is zagging has something to do with it. Job #1 in this offense is to run the route the QB expects you to run. If you don't have Rodgers' trust you'll be stuck on the pine.

Run smart routes, get separation, catch the d*mn ball. It can be that simple.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really. Not when you look at the players the Packers picked up from the Vikings in the 70's and 80's. I don't think any were major contributors to the Packers.

Of course they weren't. Free agency back then was a completely different animal than it is now. Good players didn't get to leave in free agency. Not until 1992.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Andrew Quarless lined up next to me. “I got this guy, you got this guy,” he said. “You know your assignment?”
“Yeah,” I said. “I got this.” I was supposed to block for Jordy Nelson, who was right behind me. We had practiced this dozens if not hundreds of times before. But when the ball appeared in front of me, just floating in the air, my mind went blank. I forgot everything I was supposed to do.
It's strange in the wake of Slocum's firing he is absolved of responsibility for this play IMO. They practiced this play "dozens if not hundreds of times", Quarless reminded Bostick of his assignment right before the play. Bostick went blank - that's not on the coach IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I was all for the firing of Slocum and still am. IMO some here over-emphasize the role of coaches and others over-emphasize the role of players when thing don't go well on the field. But in this one very important instance, the man who would benefit by alleging he wasn't properly prepared says the exact opposite.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Do you think if he would have made the recovery, or at least did his job he would still be with the Packers? I don't. The Packers are clearing the way for FA and the draft and Bostick didn't show he had improved enough to keep around. I wonder what did Kevin Dorsey do wrong in the NFCC game to warrant getting cut?
This is from the MMQB article captainWIMM linked in another thread, from the horse's mouth:
But they said they have their guys, and that I didn’t develop as fast as they had hoped. They said the onside kick had something to do with it, but that’s all they said. I feel as if there’s a little more to it than that. With how close we were to reaching the Super Bowl, I think a lot of people in the organization couldn’t live with me being there. I think seeing me would remind them of losing the NFC championship. I think the Packers wanted a new start, so I got one, too.
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/26/brandon-bostick-nfc-championship-game-onside-kick/

If he would have recovered that ball, I don't think he would have been waived before TC. He was due to make $585K and never received any guaranteed money. They could have measured his progress through TC and then made a decision.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I felt bad for the guy. Yeah, I was bummed we lost but ultimately he became the scapegoat when it was a string of errors that cost the game.

But death threats? Its kind of embarrassing and disappointing as a fan to hear this.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great read, i'm a little surprised the guy that cut him came right out and said it was in part to do with the botched recovery. Genuinely feel bad for what he's going through and think he receives a little too much blame for the loss. Yes, he could have won the game for us, but so many things happened there, i refuse to say he lost the game for us.

OP
OP
Pack12TX

Pack12TX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great read, i'm a little surprised the guy that cut him came right out and said it was in part to do with the botched recovery. Genuinely feel bad for what he's going through and think he receives a little too much blame for the loss. Yes, he could have won the game for us, but so many things happened there, i refuse to say he lost the game for us.
Agreed. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong in the last 4 minutes of the game. For there to be death threats to him is way over the top. I was as upset at the loss as anything I can remember but that is just taking it way too far.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've firmly said to everyone who asked that his botch was just one of about 14 things that we needed to NOT have occur, and we would have won.

To put it another way, we made 14 out of 14 mistakes. The seahawks needed 14 of 14 things to all go there way.

Had we stopped just 1 of those things from occurring, this was a different game. We win.

The seahawks did all 14 things, we didn't do or stop even one of them.

That was and will always to me be looked at as fate. We weren't meant to go last year, for whatever reason.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I hope he can put it behind him now and move on. Good luck to him for the future.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I felt bad for the guy. Yeah, I was bummed we lost but ultimately he became the scapegoat when it was a string of errors that cost the game.

But death threats? Its kind of embarrassing and disappointing as a fan to hear this.

Just know that many of those were very possibly folks who lost a fortune on it who aren't even Packer fans.

Members online

Latest posts