Bill Buckner Dies

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bill Buckner died yesterday at 69. I saw this on ESPN, accompanied by a caption talking about the ball that went through his legs in the '86 World Series. I thought damn, the poor guy can't even escape it in death.

I kind of laughed about it when it happened. Because I had never liked the Cubs (they are easily the most popular MLB team in Indiana, where I live). And at the time there was talk about the "Cub factor", which meant that if you had former Cubs on your team, you were more likely to lose. Buckner's play was pointed to as being one example of this.

I felt bad for him though, he seemed like a good guy and a player who was too good to be known for an error. I was a little surprised to read that he had only made one All-Star team, despite that fact that he had more hits than any other player in the 70s and 80s except Pete Rose.

RIP Bill.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That play was the worst individual choke that I have ever witnessed in sports. Its not fair, but I'm not surprised that it followed him even after he died. He was a very good player for many years but he's not remembered for those good seasons due to the easy grounder that went between his legs. Everybody in baseball makes errors but it was the moment and the ease at which anybody could field that dribbling grounder that magnified the situation.

OP
OP
R

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The footage of Buckner returning to Boston to a rousing standing ovation is pretty touching. It didn't happen until the Red Sox won the World Series though.

Members online

Latest posts