Best Camp Battle to watch...

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Many point to the reciever position as one of the highly anticipated battles for a roster spot up comming.. or interior lineman... or TE's or Safeties.. oh my..

But I think one of the very best battles upcomming this summer will be at MLB... Yes Barnett has a chokehold on the starter spot but my oh my do we have some player behind him..

The characters is this little battle..

Desmond Bishop - A thumper backer with great instincts.. my odds on bet to win the number 2 spot. Not an overly fast backer but not a turtle either, very heady and smart player on the field.. can't wait to see the Bishop of Pain inflicting some on the field this fall.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Abdul Hodge - A stout MLB that earned the nickname the Butcher in college and his first training camp in Green Bay.. will he be back to form or will the knees take him again? I think this is his last call in Green Bay unfortunately.. BTW.. he now dons the #52 this season.

Danny Lansanah - The one that may sneak upon the scene and turn a couple heads is the kid from Uconn.. maybe the best UDFA signing this spring.. I was amazed this kid didn't get drafted.. my bet his he makes this team as a Special Teams player and has a future ahead of him.. oh I think he will have a chip on his shoulder as well.. a couple of backs may feel that in camp.. I think this will be the surprise of the camp from the rookies.. a player of the future I think.

I love a MLB that knocks the snot out of people on the LOS.. maybe that is why I can't wait to see this little battle evolve.. I wanna throw the pads on.. damn to hit people like a couple of these kids can.. hot digity.

Your camp battle you can't wait to see?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post and great pictures. I would like to see Bishop become solid enough to step in as a starter if needed. I consider Hodge to be a longshot to make the team at this point, though. It's a very, very bad sign that he has two bad knees this early in his career. The fact that both knees are bad seems to suggest some kind of structural problem, although I'm just guessing and I hope I'm wrong.

You mentioned the WR position. I think the pecking order is actually pretty clear: Driver, Jennings, Jones, Nelson, Martin. TE seems pretty cut-and-dried as well. I love the safety battle, though, and left guard is also very interesting.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully, Bishop and Hodge will both have good camps. We can keep the winner and trade the loser. Even with his bad knees, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Hodge. He's unlikely to see serious PT anyway unless Barnett is out for an extended period.

I agree that we appear to have some serious talent at MLB, but I don't see how a battle for any backup spot could be anywhere as near as intriguing as the battle for starting guard.

Colledge and Barbre will be slugging it out until September. Personally, I would like to see Barbre win the spot and have Colledge backing up Clifton at LT.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been "pro-Hodge" since I sensed a steal in the 3rd rd. Although his knees seem to be fully healed, his time away has hurt him big time. The team had to sign players to compete for his spot...and apparently have done an excellent job of it. Unfortunately, his seeming inability to cover WRs may well be his downfall. It will also affect his value in a trade. His only hope , IMO, is if the staff move Bishop to OLB.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the LG spot, and the safety battle as well.

I'm interested in who'll be our nickel CB, and who wins between Chillar and Poppinga. Two guys with very cool last names, and some decent talent. I think if Chillar shows even slight ability to keep with the TE on passing routes, he's got the spot. And Brady would go to backup SAM and rush-LB in our situational 3-4 package. Yes.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I agree that we appear to have some serious talent at MLB, but I don't see how a battle for any backup spot could be anywhere as near as intriguing as the battle for starting guard.

While I agree in principle.. I seem to have an penchant for a thumper at the linebacker spot.. that was my favorite thing to do.. knife through the oline and drill a RB knocking him on his ****..

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 3rd CB spot should be interesting to watch.

By the way, nice pictures. Love that one hit. :cool:

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The battle for back up running back, backup TE, 3rd and 4th WR, and nickel corner should al be fun to watch.

My Guess:

RB Jackson
TE Finley
3WR Jones
4WR Nelson
Nickel Tramon Williams

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The battle for back up running back, backup TE, 3rd and 4th WR, and nickel corner should al be fun to watch.

My Guess:

RB Jackson
TE Finley
3WR Jones
4WR Nelson
Nickel Tramon Williams

Good guess. I was thinking the same.

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Hodge is healthy I think that he makes the team. I sorta biased considering that I'm from Iowa and I'm a die hard Hawkeyes fan. Hodge was a stud MLB and if healthy is more than capable of making an NFL roster.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bishop is a SOLID LB and could easily be a good starter with some experience. Everyone and their grandmothers were high on Hodge when he was drafted. If he's past his injury he could develop nicely as well. We have three good middle linebackers... actually Barnett is great. That's just insane depth.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ehhh I don't think this is a huge battle. I mean it's an intriguing one but it's not going to be the biggest camp battle or even the best. Safety and Offensive Line seem to be the ones heating up as well as Nickel back.

I think Bishop has an advantage on Hodge right now. I think Hodge is just going to have to make a statement on special teams. He hits hard and if he can fly down and make a few big hits during the pre season, GB could keep an extra MLB.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt. Offensive line is the most heated, I think. I have a hunch the fans are higher on Rouse than the coaching staff. They seem a little more reserved... maybe because he has only one year behind him and what, 3 NFL games? He produced but he is still inexperienced.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see any combination of Collins/Bigby/Rouse out on the field.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bishop is a SOLID LB and could easily be a good starter with some experience. Everyone and their grandmothers were high on Hodge when he was drafted. If he's past his injury he could develop nicely as well. We have three good middle linebackers... actually Barnett is great. That's just insane depth.

Yes he is. He'd be a Pro Bowler if there weren't already several really, really good MLBs in the NFC.

Barnett has been one of our fave players since we first saw him in '03.

Members online

Latest posts