Belichick Question

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been seeing Bill Belichick's press conferences for awhile now, and it has me wondering about something. How does he conduct meetings and practices and direct the team? It's hard to believe he can be such an effective leader lowly mumbling like that.

I know he doesn't like to do press, so that's one reason why he adopts that stiff manner. But I find it hard to believe he flips a switch and becomes an animated, loud guy either. Maybe he gives the plans to his assistant coaches and has them communicate them to the team?

I just wonder how he can inspire so many players to adopt the "Patriot way" when he seems so low key and mumbles all the time? Sounds like he wins games with his brains, as opposed to Lombardi, who was more of a motivator.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I've been seeing Bill Belichick's press conferences for awhile now, and it has me wondering about something. How does he conduct meetings and practices and direct the team? It's hard to believe he can be such an effective leader lowly mumbling like that.

I know he doesn't like to do press, so that's one reason why he adopts that stiff manner. But I find it hard to believe he flips a switch and becomes an animated, loud guy either. Maybe he gives the plans to his assistant coaches and has them communicate them to the team?

I just wonder how he can inspire so many players to adopt the "Patriot way" when he seems so low key and mumbles all the time? Sounds like he wins games with his brains, as opposed to Lombardi, who was more of a motivator.

I think you are just seeing the Bill Belichick that has very little tolerance for media questions, questions that he feels are a waste of his time. I actually can't blame him and laugh at some of his responses. I think I would probably adopt the same strategy.

If you ever watch a decent interview with BB, he is a very smart, articulate and funny guy. Whatever he is doing, whether it's the gruff, sourpuss that many see during media Q & A's or the guy deep in thought on the sidelines, he gets the job done and probably better than anyone that has ever done it in the NFL.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like he wins games with his brains, as opposed to Lombardi, who was more of a motivator.
Lombardi was quite a innovator himself. He was not one who'd dream of fancy plays but most of his innovations were into making players better. For example, there was a recording of a event between him and Red Blaik (at Army) between advantages of quarter turn vs half turn. For him it was all in details as in which would better for the player rather than having one size fits all even for the fundamentals. "It doesn't matter if you just have one play in your arsenal as long as opposition cannot stop that play" was his motto.

Bill's innovation too was more on the roster building side rather than game plays.

OP
OP
R

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi was quite a innovator himself. He was not one who'd dream of fancy plays but most of his innovations were into making players better.
Yeah, I certainly wasn't trying to say he was a simpleton. I still see Lombardi as the greatest coach ever, even though a lot of people give that to Belichick now. They've each impressed in different ways, in different eras. Five championships in seven years has not been matched.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

By the time he had gone 18-0 he had cred.

Reaction score
I read once where Lombardi could never coach in toady's system.
In a system were players act on their own and are not dedicated to team pride
and turn everything into a business.

Imagine Lombardi coaching Brett Favre?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I read once where Lombardi could never coach in toady's system.
In a system were players act on their own and are not dedicated to team pride
and turn everything into a business.

Imagine Lombardi coaching Brett Favre?

Guessing it goes both ways. While Lombardi may have not been able to coach "today's players", could "today's coaches" know what what to do with the players that Lombardi was coaching?

Members online

Latest posts