1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Baseball-style analytics becoming a part of NFL decision-making

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by News Bot, Apr 22, 2016.

1. News Bot

News Bot News Bot

Ratings:
    +53
    Source: JSOnline.com

2. jrock645

jrock645 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +64
    I'm curious exactly what numbers they're using

3. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,627
    From the looks of things, numbers that show some marginal veterans are worth more upon resigning than many fans think they are worth.

<edit> moved to a different forum for discussion.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,603
    I really have no idea how you come up with this conclusion after reading the article.

5. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,627
    It was an off-the-cuff satirical response to the comments and expressed opinions of more than a few regular posters on this forum.

• Like Like x 1
  6. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,603
    Kind of a strange way to act for a staff member to move a thread to a more prominent part of the forum to take an uncalled shot at several regular posters of a site you're moderating because of having different opinions on a topic this article has absolutely nothing to do with. Just my two cents though.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,627
    I thought about moving it before I called my shot because of jrock's post. That post opened the door to my response. Changed my mind about not moving it a few minutes after I had posted. BTW some people do think I am strange, ask my teeny bopper daughter and her friends.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,709
    I would guess the kind produced by Pro Football Focus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    The should call it ted ball... Or thompson money. Ball... Name is a work in progress. But teds been doing this a decade now.

10. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,014
    I`m sorry to have to say this, and it`s nothing personal to you Capt, but nobody wants the moderator job, but everybody wants a shot at the moderator for doing what they think is right :rolleyes:

11. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,603
    Nothing personal as well Bill, but if one of the regulars posts something like that we're told to stop it.

Don't het me wrong though, overall the forum's moderators do a good job.

12. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,014
    All`s good.

• Like Like x 1
  13. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,603
    Thompson has for sure not been one of the first general managers in the NFL to use it. The Packers still haven´t hired an analyst working in pro personnel or scouting. Here´s a Journal Sentinel article from August 2014 touching the subject.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...personnel-scouting-b99331427z1-271478841.html

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    So as I understand it from the article, drafting is a crap shoot so get as many picks as possible to elevate your chances. That's been a mantra I've believed in for a long time. It's an argument I had with one of my brothers, prompting me to research and track all of the Packers drafts back to the 1950s. It's why I also preach that whether your first round pick or your 7th round pick is successful, makes no difference. You get a pool of rookie money each season and a pool of rookies, and the GM's job is to get as many contributors to the team as possible out of each pool.

Maybe they will find a way to make talent evaluation more accurate, but projecting that forward requires so many other variables than just player talent. Analytics in the NFL is another arrow in the quiver, but certainly won't ever revolutionize the drafting process.

15. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,709
    I found this particularly interesting:

"Another example of football analytics was a study done by the Ravens a few years ago that revealed a strong correlation between sack production regardless of collegiate level and NFL success."

Unfortunately, that has not been the case with Perry, or Ricky Elmore for that matter.

Exceptions aside, if there is any validity to that claim, then the same should be said about college LTs with the fewest sacks surrendered. Same guys playing against the same guys at one level, now moving onto the next. Or perhaps the Ravens' methodology was flawed.

16. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,603
    It would take way too long to do a detailled review of the Ravens methodology but I guess it was flawed.

17. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,709
    You couldn't do it anyway unless they published it.

18. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    Interesting article (last year) about real-time analytics creeping into football: https://gigaom.com/2015/01/24/real-time-data-analytics-could-change-sports-forever/

I'd be surprised if the Packers aren't into the field more than they say they are.

BTW, Intel has sunglasses (Recon Jet) with analytics projected onto the lenses (pace, distance, calories, cadence, etc) for bikers and runners. I imagine the technology will soon be available for helmet face shields, as the article suggests.

• Informative Informative x 1