Are the Packers better built for turf than Lambeau?

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have been getting faster and lighter over the last few years. They seemed to have more trouble at home last year than on the road in domes.

It looks like we drafted some good speed this year, but are we still being built for the outdoors like Wolf use to say?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
It looks like we drafted some good speed this year, but are we still being built for the outdoors like Wolf use to say?

I'd have to think we are being built for outdoors if anything seeing as there are only two? domes left.

OP
OP
A

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the Vikings, Lions, Colts, Falcons, and Rams all played in Domes, while the Texans played on turf in a stadium with a retractable roof that was closed when we played there last year. Dallas has an incomplete dome :D

I guess maybe I should rephrase the question.

Are the Packers better built for turf than Tundra?

After the loss to Vick and the Falcons in the playoffs, many people thought we needed more speed on defense to keep up with the mobil QBs like Vick and Culpepper. So we got smaller and faster at LB with guys like Barnett.

Last year and this year we added some speed in the secondary.

The loss to Jacksonville last year at home in December, and the loss to the Titans at home kind of bothered me though because it seemed like we were getting pushed around physically.

Does speed kill like they say, or would you rather have a more physical team like the 90's when we lined up 300 pounders across the D-line and had bigger, more physical corners?

Does speed kill on the frozen and sometimes muddy tundra? Just curious if others preferred speed or size when building a team for the frozen tundra. Maybe the day of the "mudders" is past.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
or would you rather have a more physical team like the 90's when we lined up 300 pounders across the D-line and had bigger, more physical corners?

yeah

I'm a believer that the defensive line can control a game, I love guys like Grady Jackson that demand double teams (too bad his effectiveness is negated by Cleditus Hunt)...I lean toward physical players that bring energy, its why pre-draft I wanted the Packers to take Matt Roth, a warrior, something the Packers don't have.

Physical corners don't exist in football anymore thanks to the contact rules, we need production out of the safety position. Interceptions--something Earl Little and Arturo Freeman have been consistent in doing the last few seasons, and we need safeties to negate the run, I'm excited for Marviel Underwood, he can be a force against the run and the pass. Nick Collins is a "physical, aggressive" player, i hope so, i hope thats the direction this team goes, we'll see

We've got a ton of offensive line depth, running back depth, one of the best running games in football, I think we'll hold our own outdoors

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed - on the warriors comment -----

Whether Players prefer to be on turf or not - they have eight games at Lambeau on Frozen Tundra... they don't have a say in it.. unless they like the door. I like the Collins pick, even if no one else does! We still have Freeman and Little, along with Joey Thomas & Jason Horton(?) out there, and Roman is still hangin' around.... So, the Safeties and the Wide Receiveres corps are all on extended overdrive at this point... Who's gonna stay / Who's gonna go - ??? No one knows! Will they bargain them away for next year's draft slots? TT's got a knack on getting those type of deals done! At least two of the new guys are probable on Special Teams for Punt Returns.... which alleviates Davenport from being out there on those plays! THAT's a good thing! I'd like to see Najeh have an injury free Season. The part I don't lke is every one of our CB's seem to be short-er - granted Ty Law was only 5'10" - but our guys are shorter than that - and these days every friggin' WR is 6'5"....... Although I do like the jumping ability on the new CB!

Members online

Latest posts