Andy Reid

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I apologise for my misunderstanding. I read it as you were saying he would have turned things around. Have a good day.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe Ron Wolf publicly admitted it was perhaps his biggest mistake hiring Rhodes instead of Reid.

Likewise, Wolf blew it again a year later by hiring Mike Sherman instead of Marty Schottenheimer (who wanted the job). Between 1986 and 1997 Schottenheimer posted nine double-digit winning seasons as HC at CLE and KC, including 13 win seasons in 1995 and 1997. His fatal flaw was losing three AFC Conference Championship games, so, Wolf tried Sherman instead. Sherman never even made it past the divisional round.

I've always mused over what might have been if Favre had Reid or Schottenheimer, and a WR like say...

Randy Moss. In 1998 Wolf traded up from #29 to #19 and drafted DE Vonnie Holliday. Moss went two picks later to MIN. Holliday was a good player, but, never made a pro bowl...Moss of course is a Hall of Famer. I was furious that day as I believed Moss was a top-five pick who had fallen into the Packers' lap and was the reason they traded up. Alas, Ron Wolf wanted a replacement for the aging Reggie White.

Much like the Packers did with Rodgers, they just refused to use high draft assets on WR's, thereby wasting most of two Hall of Fame QB's careers.

Anyway, hard to imagine Reid, Favre and Moss together in GB not capturing a Super Bowl ring or two.
Moss had more baggage than Samsonite coming into that draft. He needed an immense amount of human development which he got in Minnesota with a veteran Cris Carter. There is no guarantee he could have stayed out of the Brown County Lockup if Green Bay had drafted him. He was one of the hugest risks in draft history.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moss had more baggage than Samsonite coming into that draft. He needed an immense amount of human development which he got in Minnesota with a veteran Cris Carter. There is no guarantee he could have stayed out of the Brown County Lockup if Green Bay had drafted him. He was one of the hugest risks in draft history.
I'd put Colt Lyerla above Moss, for sure. And we still brought him in for a look-see undrafted prospect.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Hogwash.

Moss was sentenced to 30 days jail time for two counts of misdemeanor battery in a high school hallway fight. During his subsequent probation he tested positive for marijuana, resulting in an additional 60-day sentence. That's it.

In college (Marshall) he scored at least one TD in every game he played in. No criminal behaviour at Marshall (two years).

He was in no way, shape or form "one of the hugest risks in draft history". After his pro day in 1998 scouts were gushing about Moss being one of the most gifted athletes in NFL draft history.

Moss scored an NFL rookie record 17 TD's in 1998 with over 1,300 yards...there was no "human development" training by Cris Carter that caused that. It was a continuation of Moss' elite level he had shown for two years at Marshall.

In fact, it was Cris Carter who was an alcoholic and a drug addict admitting to using vast amounts of ecstasy, cocaine and marijuana, which is the reason Buddy Ryan and the Eagles cut him and the Vikings got him for nothing. Cris Carter was in actual fact one of the riskiest player acquisitions of all time...not Moss.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hogwash.

Moss was sentenced to 30 days jail time for two counts of misdemeanor battery in a high school hallway fight. During his subsequent probation he tested positive for marijuana, resulting in an additional 60-day sentence. That's it.

In college (Marshall) he scored at least one TD in every game he played in. No criminal behaviour at Marshall (two years).

He was in no way, shape or form "one of the hugest risks in draft history". After his pro day in 1998 scouts were gushing about Moss being one of the most gifted athletes in NFL draft history.

Moss scored an NFL rookie record 17 TD's in 1998 with over 1,300 yards...there was no "human development" training by Cris Carter that caused that. It was a continuation of Moss' elite level he had shown for two years at Marshall.

In fact, it was Cris Carter who was an alcoholic and a drug addict admitting to using vast amounts of ecstasy, cocaine and marijuana, which is the reason Buddy Ryan and the Eagles cut him and the Vikings got him for nothing. Cris Carter was in actual fact one of the riskiest player acquisitions of all time...not Moss.
In today's game neither Carter nor Irvin would be in the HOF. Push off captains which would now be flagged for OPI.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Hogwash.

Everyone was leery of Moss. Why????

I totally agree with his physical gift assessment. He had the best physical traits of any wide receiver I've ever seen. Absolutely off the charts. His control tower was definitely a problem that made everyone nervous.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Back to Andy Reid - Philly, in my opinion, took a flyer. Reid spent one year as QB's coach and the year prior to that was the TE's coach under Holmgren. Back then, this kind of hire for HC was ... shall we say ... aggressive. They rolled the dice and eventually won.

The Ray Rhodes hire caused my head to blow up because in 4 years in Philly, he had taken a consistent winner and turned them into something considerably less. There was no chance that the Pack were going to promote Sherm Lewis to HC ... my gawd, could you imagine the screaming if Green Bay had passed over two Afro-American coordinators to promote the QB coach to HC?

Rhodes had proven himself an adequate DC but had also proven himself to be a "lacking" HC...he proved it again in GB on his return. Sherm Lewis had a "reputation" which I'm sure Wolf didn't want to gamble on.

Fortunately for Philly, Reid grew into the job. He and Holmgren looked like twin walruses ... it used to kill me when they were pictured side-by-side.

Reaction score
T
Back to Andy Reid - Philly, in my opinion, took a flyer. Reid spent one year as QB's coach and the year prior to that was the TE's coach under Holmgren. Back then, this kind of hire for HC was ... shall we say ... aggressive. They rolled the dice and eventually won.

The Ray Rhodes hire caused my head to blow up because in 4 years in Philly, he had taken a consistent winner and turned them into something considerably less. There was no chance that the Pack were going to promote Sherm Lewis to HC ... my gawd, could you imagine the screaming if Green Bay had passed over two Afro-American coordinators to promote the QB coach to HC?

Rhodes had proven himself an adequate DC but had also proven himself to be a "lacking" HC...he proved it again in GB on his return. Sherm Lewis had a "reputation" which I'm sure Wolf didn't want to gamble on.

Fortunately for Philly, Reid grew into the job. He and Holmgren looked like twin walruses ... it used to kill me when they were pictured side-by-side.
Thats what happened!
That’s where the Redskins went all wrong. They completely missed their calling. They could’ve been the

Washington Walruses!

PS. I just learned that Walruses come from a very diverse family of Pinnipeds and “Diversity” could’ve been their Team Slogan! Ok ok.
The Eagles are cool flapping but imagine the Walruses CLAPPING!

Last edited:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
PS. I just learned that Walruses come from a very diverse family of Pinnipeds and “Diversity” could’ve been their Team Slogan! Ok ok.
The Eagles are cool flapping but imagine the Walruses CLAPPING!
At this moment, I'm reminded of a quote, many times attributed to the great Bertrand Russell, somewhat trivial in nature but apropos nonetheless and I paraphrase... There is much joy to be gained from useless knowledge. There... take that... :sneaky::tdown:

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
??? The Packers defense is allowed to get off the field quick as well.
The Packers offense scoring quickly has nothing to do with the Packers defense getting off the field quick. If the opposing offense puts together a long drive, followed by the Packers offense scoring quickly, followed by the opposing offense putting together another long drive, the Packers defense will get exhausted.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers offense scoring quickly has nothing to do with the Packers defense getting off the field quick. If the opposing offense puts together a long drive, followed by the Packers offense scoring quickly, followed by the opposing offense putting together another long drive, the Packers defense will get exhausted.

True, but you don't seem to understand that it's the job of the Packers' defense to prevent opposing offenses from putting together long drives.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but you don't seem to understand that it's the job of the Packers' defense to prevent opposing offenses from putting together long drives.
You don't seem to understand that if the Packers offense scores quickly, the Packers defense will have a shorter break on the sideline, and they are more likely to be tired and less likely to prevent the opposing offense from driving down the field.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, I always thought Favre and Rodgers scored way too fast. What were they thinking? They acted like there job was to score points. What a couple of Divas. They didn't understand the way that pacmania and I do that they were supposed to give the D enough rest before they scored. Especially if the D just gave up a long TD drive. Did they honestly expect them to go back out there with minimal rest and get a stop? They were and are both egomaniacs who only think of themselves and not the team.

Reaction score
You don't seem to understand that if the Packers offense scores quickly, the Packers defense will have a shorter break on the sideline, and they are more likely to be tired and less likely to prevent the opposing offense from driving down the field.
I kinda agree with both of you.
Captain is saying that a D is responsible for getting off the field, which I agree with.

You are saying that a Defense should be more winded due to our Offense scoring quickly, which I also agree with.

Unfortunately we don’t have either problem! ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Once again, it's pretty easy for them to not get tired. Get off the field by stopping the opposing offense. Problem solved.

Reaction score
Once again, it's pretty easy for them to not get tired. Get off the field by stopping the opposing offense. Problem solved.
By George I think we’ve got something here.
I vote Captain for Packer DC!

Last edited:

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not everyone has the #1 defense in the league that can stop everybody. Sometimes the opposing offense is pretty good. Sometimes your defense needs help from your offense.

Reaction score

Wow, I wish the Packers would have thought of that! :eek:
I can so relate. I had a GF that must’ve subscribed to that same theory in the bedroom, she told me it was my fault I was tired and to just get off her field!
I also sorta got fired a short while later, I guess I was basically her Joe Barry :confused:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Not everyone has the #1 defense in the league that can stop everybody. Sometimes the opposing offense is pretty good. Sometimes your defense needs help from your offense.

True, but in my opinion it's ridiculous to blame the offense for scoring too fast. I understand there's a point to be made that the defense gets tired because of the offense going three-and-out or turning the ball over. That has hardly been an issue with the Packers over the past 15 seasons though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts