A series of rambling thoughts on Brett's drama...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know I am in a minority here (more ways than one) but why do people believe Brett Favre owes an answer by any particular deadline? I just cannot see it.

Sure, I would love for him to clear the air and make Ted Thompson's job easier, but where in his or any players contract is it that they have to hurry up and decide because others are in a hurry?

Ted Thompson has the option to cut him and move on without him if he so desires. Short of that Brett is entitled to take all the way up to his first reporting date to give a decision.

He has a contract and he has not announced his retirement, so how is it that he is doing something undignified?

The reason this is so overblown is the media and the fans continue to obsess and over-blow it!!!

Favre holds all of the cards here. Ted Thompson has himself a public relations nightmare. Years from now no one will be talking about Brett's angst regarding retirement, but whether or not Ted Thompson is a GM in the NFL very well could depend upon how he handles this situation.

I ALMOST feel sorry for Thompson.

But you know the old "what goes around, comes around" thing does come to mind.

You don't see GM's fretting over ******** players out of FA by waiting until June 1st or later to cut players under contract.

When I quit playing football it was a struggle -- I went back and forth. Tons of players who love the game of football struggle with giving it up. The difference is few get to chose -- fate, diminishing skills, salary considerations or youth movements make the decision for them.

What is unique about Brett is he is one of the very rare players who after 15/16 years has the ability to make the call either way.

Joe Montana didn't -- he had to face being released by the team he took to multiple Super Bowl wins and faltering ability and failing health in Kansas City.

Steve Young didn't -- he was forced to the sidelines with concussions.

Troy Aikman didn't -- same situation as Young

John Elway did, Dan Marino did, and so does Brett Favre (no surprise that they are at the top 3 spots in almost every passing category). But you have got to know they are the exceptions that prove the rule.

Of course any of you are entitled to feel irritated or disappointed -- after all they are your feelings.

However, to expect that Brett hurry a decision or shut-his mouth is pretty narcissistic.

You might think being a major factor in turning around a perennial loser to a perennial winner and playoff team -- including multiple division crowns and two trips to the Super Bowl, winning 3 MVPs and setting many records along the way might entitle the guy to answer the phone when folks inside the game call him at his home in rural Mississippi.

He could have bolted in Free Agency if he wanted and likely picked up some more rings by being selective about where he wanted to play. No instead he loyally stuck with the team that plucked him from the Falcons, called the fans in Green Bay the greatest and played his heart out -- never missing a game (an unheard of feat, that I guess we should all now forget), always willing to play hurt (physically and emotionally).

But maybe I am wrong. Perhaps he is the one who owes everyone else. Maybe I am missing something the rest of you seem to see.

BTW there is a simple solution to folk's problem with feeling disappointed or irritated about this -- stop reading and reacting to it.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here..Here..Bruce...

I will DRINK to that..an excellent post..!!!

The only disagreement I would make is that I think Marino was starting to lose it and was on the way out....Elway may have had another year in him...maybe..

but he got old quick too...

Favre...is the only one...i would say...who could play at an extremely high level until he was 40...but you never know...he could drop off at 39 or so...when you hit the wall..you hit the wall...but imo..he hasn't hit it yet!

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post Bruce. For me it is not really about who owes what to whom. Brett does I believe owe it to himself to be a bit less outspoken on his thoughts. I would love if he came out and said either. Hey I am Playing I am retiring. Or a plain and simple you know what everyone I dont know. (WHich by the way he has done as of late)

I believe in my heart of hearts that he will make his decision between march 3rd and 6th. I also believe he will come back.

You are right about TT he does however have to honor Bretts loyalty as well. TT is making waves with the outward appearance of immobility when it comes to Favre telling what he wants. It seems i.e perception is he does things contrary to what favre expresses and it makes many of us nervous. There are two extremes to GM's Sherman was a GM who caved to his players TT appears to be a brick wall. He has to find a middle ground and open the wallet a bit. He needs to take a look a little south to what selig did the the Brewers.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i fully understand Brett's comment about FA. hell, i don't want any Green Bay QB playing behind last year's line, let alone Brett.

the flip side to that is, a Favre-less team will approach the market a lot differently (thinking in terms of cap room alone), so time is a factor regardless. no getting around that, right?

i don't think a deadline is neccesary, just a considerate sense of urgency. those are some mighty important cards he's holding.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce

You're not in the minority. Most Packer fans feel the same way about Brett. There are just a few "vocal" ingrates that constantly rag on him on this board so much that it SEEMS like you are in the minority!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree w/ Arrow...

If Brett's decision would impact how TT would approach FA or the draft, then you can see why TT needs an answer, either way.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
I agree w/ Arrow...

If Brett's decision would impact how TT would approach FA or the draft, then you can see why TT needs an answer, either way.

Well if he can't wait for the man's decision then cut his ***.......if you got the balls!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"If you got the balls!" ????? Well, I am seeing a trend, or an emphasis in your last several posts DePack!! You have got to stop serving this stuff up on a silver platter!! LOL

Why such animosity toward TT...the guy has done or said nothing to indicate he is mistreating this situation, orfailing to providing Favre with the proper courtesy/respect that his tenure with the team demands.

Man, let it rest...it will play out as it plays out. Seems people are just bored and need something to get heir blood pumping.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, Ive got nothing against TT. I've said over and over that I like the way he has handled it, so far. I just get my balls in a vice (what? you thought you could break me?) when I hear people disrespect Brett Favre(in my mind).

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What...balls in a vice and no nipple clamps??!!? Amateur!

I was not specifically referring to you, DePack.....just some on this board that want to shitcan the guy because he is doing his job....and doing it well, from my perspective.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reality of all this is that FA is NOW and Brett's decision makes a $7.6 million dollar difference in how TT approaches it.

In reading MM's statements and the path he wants to take his goal is to build a team that does not take an unbelievable effort from an All World QB to win games.
It would be especially important to import the extra quality $7.6 million can capture IF in fact the one QB out there that can win with inferior talent around him calls it quits.

I've said this before but if he quits we better get a lot better in a lot of positions real fast and will need the money put back in the pot by his retirement to help get there.

I have traveled all over the country to watch him play and think the world of the guy but it would not sit well with me if all these FA's out there that would have been possible to sign go by and then he says goodbye and we have an extra $7.6 million to spend and there's only back ups left.

If that were to happen it could be very ugly next year.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the reason why I think Favre is going to decide before wednesday, TT will NEVER pay him that salary bonus if he's not certain Favre will return. If he doesn't pay it, Favre automatically becomes an UFA.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there needs to be any deadline for Favre, either. But the flipside is that if free agency begins and Favre has still not made up his mind, Thompson may have plenty of reason to proceed as if Favre will not be back.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget most of any savings that the Packers would temporarily gain based on Brett retiring or being cut would mostly disappear in the escalator clause in Rodgers contract

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I don't think there needs to be any deadline for Favre, either. But the flipside is that if free agency begins and Favre has still not made up his mind, Thompson may have plenty of reason to proceed as if Favre will not be back.

The problem with this is TT CAN'T proceed to spend the extra cash he would have available with BF's retirement until he knows one way or the other. So if FA begins without a decision TT has no choice but to proceed as if he IS coming back. Brett's salary has to be set aside until he makes his decision.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I agree with ya post there Bruce with the exception that Aikman recently stated he left football largely in part because of the team direction(which when said confused me because he retired after that slam to the mellon) and Brett only had the L.A. Rams knocking on his door for a contract when he was a FA. He didn't really have much of a choice. Thankfully he came to GB though!

Brett doesn't owe anyone an answer. HE knows that, the Packers know that and true unselfish Packer fans know that.

I wonder if him taking so long is a good thing or bad thing. Is he trying to talk himself into staying in football? or trying to talk himself into he can move on without football with no regrets?

He has said he wants to wait to see what we do in FA and the Draft. I say let him wait. I trust TT will do positive things in the FA and Draft and I would rather Brett make his decision at that time. IF he does decide to retire, we have Aaron Rodgers who (I don't think will ever be a superstar) can handle the team and shouldn't 'lose' games for the team.

Waiting until after the draft reduces the chancs of TT panicing and drafting a QB instead of where its more so needed. (I really don't think TT would panic, jus ya never know though)

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post zero. We are 24 mil+/- under the cap. TT is not going to spend all that + Favre's 7.3 relief if he retires. He also isn't going to draft a QB or go after a starting QB in free agency if he retires. He is going to give Rodgers a shot.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
Good post zero. We are 24 mil+/- under the cap. TT is not going to spend all that + Favre's 7.3 relief if he retires. He also isn't going to draft a QB or go after a starting QB in free agency if he retires. He is going to give Rodgers a shot.

Thanks! I hope we give Rodgers a shot if/when Brett decides he's done. I'd hate to have had a good capable QB right here and then let him go for someone who could by all means be far worse.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
What...balls in a vice and no nipple clamps??!!? Amateur!

I was not specifically referring to you, DePack.....just some on this board that want to shitcan the guy because he is doing his job....and doing it well, from my perspective.

I am with you Man!!!!!!! TT is doing the job and doing it right !.... Like it or not he is doing it the right way IMHO.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts