4th & 26 - You're Fired!

Bettie_Page

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blame Ed Donatell for the famous 4th and 26 when Bob Slowik was in charge of the defensive backs. Defensive coordinator Ed Donatell apparently had called for a blitz on fourth-and-26, but coach Mike Sherman called it off in part because he realized the Eagles were in a max-protect situation on offense. So fire Sherman? No we fire Ed Donatell and he goes off to Atlanta where he has one of the better defenses in football. Then we promote one of the guys responsible for the blunder while the other remains head coach. Shouldn't the person that made the mistake carry the blame? :shock:

Gravedigger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We beat Seattle after McKenzie went ballistic on Donatell for calling his zone bs and managed to get the call changed to pressure. McKenzie and Harris jumped the routes, Harris makes the pick and we win the game.

First time I've heard that Sherman changed the 4th and 26 call. Where did you see that?

packer4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why in the world did we give Al Harris a fat contract if we're scared to put him in man coverage? I think he can hold his own againest anybody in the league. I thought he held his own fairly well againest T.O. Slowit is JUNK.

Brad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sucks that the 4th and 26 didn't work out but if we had blitzed and been burned we would be overanalyzing it the opposite way....I hate to say it but i think Sherman was right in his decision to not blitz on a max protect....If we can't stop a 4th and 26th play (when you know darn well it will be a pass) then we don't deserve to win the game anyways...It was a sad moment in packer history but we gotta move on past that....It sucks Donatell was the scapegoat but it happens all the time....I'll be looking for some coaching changes again this offseason, but i'd rather see some new talent come to GB....

acw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fourth-and-26 play goes back further. It goes back to the fourth-and-1 that we didn't go for. It goes back to the conservative calls on the last three possessions. It goes back to the 3-and-outs on two of those possessions. And it goes back to the fact that the Eagles did the exact same thing to us a few weeks earlier when we went conservative with a late lead. Whats the saying: Crazy is when you do the same thing and expect different results.

History simply repeated itself. Wasn't Mike a history teacher?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Bettie_Page said:
http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_18891902.shtml

Sherman changed the call.

Gotta give Ed credit for not saying anything. I mean it'd have been easy for him to answer the question 'do you think you got fired because of the 4th and 26 play in philly?' he could have said 'no, i called a blitz and coach changed the play so I know thats not the reason' He was a man and took his lumps and got hiredright away and is enjoying a top ranked defense and I wanna cry!!!!!!!!

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta give Ed credit for not saying anything. I mean it'd have been easy for him to answer the question 'do you think you got fired because of the 4th and 26 play in philly?' he could have said 'no, i called a blitz and coach changed the play so I know thats not the reason' He was a man and took his lumps and got hiredright away and is enjoying a top ranked defense and I wanna cry!!!!!!!!
[/quote/]

After seeing this i wsh ed would have opened his mouth. At least we would have seen Magic Mike exposed as the idiot he is. Something like this could have opened the flood gates of change. You got to respect a man with that much backbone.

OP
OP
B

Bettie_Page

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Sherman knows more than he is letting on with his drafting a punter. He may just need someone to give him a swift kick in the britches. :oops:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gravedigger - I'm surprised at you.... Bettie nails it and you question her over it - I think she can hold her own in here.... and no, that's NOT kissin' up....

Had Donatell stayed, do you really think we would have went four straight losses and especially lossing against da Bears in the Home Opener?
Hell, that's the second time we've lost the Home Opener while Sherman was in charge...
GD, are we seeing a trend here? I do!

I was going to start a thread ranting about the Coaches, but this is better....
ROSSLEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE THAT GOT FIRED.. (repeat it to yourselves) ROSSLEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED FOR PULLING THAT PASS PLAY WHEN AHMAN GREEN HAD BEEN SHOVIN IT DOWN THEIR THROATS ALL GAME...
Had we run the ball, the Eagles would have NEVER got the ball back, period - -Oh gee, let's think about that for a minute.... It becomes Green Bay against Carolina all over again.... and OOPS,,, SuperBowl.... WOW,, did Rossley have money bet against the Pack? One wonders....

Go back and review that whole series in the final five minutes of play of that Eagles game... and watch what happens as Brett goes thru his progressions... watch his face as the blunder goes down.... seriously - go check it out... Do you see a smirk, or was that just me, seeing things? Go look!

Rossley's an *** in the first order... and too damn scared to come visit the players DURING the game.... the only reason his stats look like they do, is because of the Holmgren/Wolf created Offense which is about to be gone.

Now what you gonna do, when THAT happens! Eh, Sherman?

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well what exactly does rossley do now with sherman calling the plays? i see no need to keep him around. but then again, i guess it's rude to fire a friend. exaclty why coach can't be GM.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sixone220 said:
well what exactly does rossley do now with sherman calling the plays? i see no need to keep him around. but then again, i guess it's rude to fire a friend. exaclty why coach can't be GM.
Who else would he play golf with? Brett has other things to take care of these days.... That's the problem of hiring your buddies.. or family... it's just not a good idea most of the time.. The "good" of the Team should be paramount - not the personal friendship. That part is for "after work" - not during work... it clouds the objective!

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this is why i fade away from the football boards in the offseason, just the typical, what if, hypothetical fodder to pass the time

and for the record it's STILL on mike sherman for even giving them the ball back

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are so many different reasons as to why we lost the Eagles game that it's not funny.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had one and only one regret about that game - we didn't go on 4th and 1. That would have ended the game right there and there would have been no 4th and 26th. Favre could have kneeled down for three plays and that would have been the game.

I put the blame on Sherman for his conservative play calling. You have Ahman Green at his peak, and if I'm not mistaken, 3 running backs that year who were averaging over 5 yards a carry, and you punt. WTF?

It's a shame that the defense got the blame for bad coaching.

Members online

Latest posts