414 yards passing?! WTF?!?!

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers let Joey Harrington get 414 yards passing. That is just sick.

33/62-414-2-3. If he didn't have those INTs we'd be toast!

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
most of those yards where near the end of the 4th quater when gb was ahead. they just let them get the short passes.

OP
OP
R

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Regardless, can anyone comment on how our pass D was?

Pathetic yards wise, but it was nice to see some stops and strips. We got lucky on a lot of dropped balls though.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins was consistantly in the wrong place at the wrong time. I can not belive how far he has regressed in a year. I blame Schottenhiemer. Positioning is critical in the NFL and a safety that is a meer 3 steps out of position is toast.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well they didn't play like the best team in the world, because there not but they won and thats what matters.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey we won and we won by 10 freaking points. Give the guys credit today not one int dropped!!!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I would expect at least 350 yards of passing for anyone that throws 62 times.

Regardless, can anyone comment on how our pass D was?

AADP - It was actually okay. See, this is another reason why stats don't mean anything. 400+ yards but most of the yards were worthless yards when the game was pretty much over. We were playing D super conservatively, not giving up the big one and letting them eat up the clock with stupid small yard passes. As it turned out, we won the game and we played it right. Good job Packers! :packbeer:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The pass rush continues to be poor. Woodson and Harris did a good job on the outside, but Dendy got exploited a bit, and both of our safeties continue to be horrible in coverage. Luckily, the Packers benefitted from several drops by the Miami receivers (one of which bounced directly into Nick Barnett's hands), and some poor throws by Harrington (one of which was tipped into Woodson's hands), who has a real knack for playing just good enough to lose.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree,

All those yards were not garbage time yards and as much as I loved our win, we will HAVE to improve in this area of the game. We are ranked last in pass D and this can't be sugar coated !!!

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins was consistantly in the wrong place at the wrong time. I can not belive how far he has regressed in a year. I blame Schottenhiemer. Positioning is critical in the NFL and a safety that is a meer 3 steps out of position is toast.

I blame Manuel. That guy has been horrible in pass coverage, which leaves Collins to try to mop things up. Collins hasn't played great, but he got much better support from Roman last year. Manuel seems to bite on every play fake and play more like a LB than a safety.

That being said, we need to keep doing the strip drills for defense! It had a huge affect on several passes yesterday. Should help us get turnovers as the season goes on.

Lots of things to fix, but at least we're building some chemistry as a team. Keep coming together and keep improving. Stop giving up the big plays!

GO PACK GO!!!

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
33 completions averaging 12.5 yards each would be 412.5 yards. The Packer secondary much as it was in 2004.

Woodson is better than Carroll but much more expensive.
Nick Collins is not as good as Sharper and Manuel is not as good as Roman.

It is the Achilles heel of the team and everyone knows it.

OR

Was everything going so well on the turnovers, the Packers scoring, run defense good that Miami was forced to throw the ball 62 times.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was going to post this as well. It was a good win, but the 400+ yards of passing that we gave up is still disturbing.

I think tis was Woodson's best game even without his INT. Harris looked good. Both safeties were great against the run and NON-EXISTENT againt the deep ball. It's a damn good thing Harrington kept over throwing the deep ball.

Our linebacker's pass coverage looked a lot better today.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game was similar to what has happened to us in the past when teams made us one dimensional. We either couldn't run it or would get behind and have to abandon it.

How many times have we seen BF throw for a bunch of yards only to see us lose?

It's no coincidence that they got a lot of yards in the 4th when we were starting to run out of gas a little out there in that heat.

Any team throwing it 62 times WILL get a lot of yards but also WILL lose most of the time.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:

I agree,

All those yards were not garbage time yards and as much as I loved our win, we will HAVE to improve in this area of the game. We are ranked last in pass D and this can't be sugar coated !!!

Last 2 series of the game produced 131 yards passing...

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO we shouldnt be bashing players this week, WE WON!!! Yes there were mistakes just like any other football game,,,but Miami made more mistakes then we did that is why we won...

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the end of the season, teams make the playoffs based on WINS AND LOSSES, not yards!!!! Stats can be made to say whatever you want but all that matters is the win!

Look at the Phil/TB game -- The Eagles had 500+ yards of offense while TB had 196 yet Tampa Bay won the game.

The stat that matters most would be the turnover (Eagles had 4) but yardage is not as important.

Just like our #1 rating last year, yardage rankings can be misleading.

OP
OP
R

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the end of the season, teams make the playoffs based on WINS AND LOSSES, not yards!!!! Stats can be made to say whatever you want but all that matters is the win!

Look at the Phil/TB game -- The Eagles had 500+ yards of offense while TB had 196 yet Tampa Bay won the game.

The stat that matters most would be the turnover (Eagles had 4) but yardage is not as important.

Just like our #1 rating last year, yardage rankings can be misleading.

True, but when a team is in mid-season it can definitely be used to point out where a team needs to improve in addition to other things.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will agree that winning the turnover battle is extremely important and will add the opposing QB's rating as well.

Harrington had a a QB rating of 62.

You win the turnover battle and the keep the opposing QB in the 60's and you will win most of the time.

The QB rating gives a read of the kind of pressure he is getting during a game. Much focus has been laid on our DB's but we have not set the world on fire in QB pressures in the games we lost.

Early in the year we got our share of sacks but in between the pressure was inconsistant and resulted in big plays against us. A not-so-good defensive backfield can look pretty stout when their line is getting good pressure. Your backfield could, on the other hand, be very good but if the line isn't helping they are not going to look to great back there.

With the rules bent to benefit the WR after 5 yards it is absolutely necessary to balance this with pressure on the QB.

I'll take giving up over 400 yards every time if it includes over 60 throws and a QB rating in the low 60's. I mean every time.

With that rating and winning the turnover battle a team will win 9 out of 10 times.

That many throws means you have forced your opponent out of their game plan and have made them one-dimensional.

A QB rating that low means you have gotten pressure on the QB and good coverage and usually means you've won the turnover battle.

YERCELL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO we shouldnt be bashing players this week, WE WON!!! Yes there were mistakes just like any other football game,,,but Miami made more mistakes then we did that is why we won...

:chalflag: Does that mean when we lose we can't say anything good about any players?

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that the D isn't playing well as far as giving up yards, but you can't talk about turnovers as if they're not part of good defence. There are many D's that aren't all that good but they force turnovers which is just as good. Look at the Bengals last year, they were nothing special but took the ball away every other series. Obviously I'd like them to play better but if they're gonna get 3 int's a game it will be hard to hate on them

Members online

Latest posts