2023 Round 5 pick #159 Dontayvion Wicks

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
4 receiver sets aren't so sickening if wr's #3 and #4 are pretty good and the qb can get rid of the ball quickly with accuracy. It can create mismatches against a teams worst secondary players. If wr's #3 and 4 are mediocre, then it can lead to picks or sacks. If Packer TE's take time to develop, the 4 wr set will make its appearance.
The only reason you see 4 WR sets is something bad happened before then. 3rd and really long or playing ketchup and needing to score a lot late in the game. The only time I WANT to see it is in 2minute offense at end of first half.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reason you see 4 WR sets is something bad happened before then. 3rd and really long or playing ketchup and needing to score a lot late in the game. The only time I WANT to see it is in 2minute offense at end of first half.

Eventually with Musgraves athletic profile I would prefer three WRs with him able to serve flexed out…till then I suspect Deguara could easily do that too.

Reaction score
Eventually with Musgraves athletic profile I would prefer three WRs with him able to serve flexed out…till then I suspect Deguara could easily do that too.
I just happened to see that play where Deguara ran for a TD off a Love pass. He actually looked pretty quick for a big guy. I just didn’t remember him being that spry at all. He might not be Tonyan as a Receiver, but I agree he is serviceable level

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I vote for Aaron Jones to flex out in that scenario

Reaction score
I didn’t realize that Lazard took such a high number of last years Slot at 38%, which was similar to Cobb if I remember correctly. I think we will plan on using Musgrave more in that Y respect as he’s a total mismatch for LB’s and many Safeties.

Wicks is going to get some rotational snaps as that Z Receiver until he’s more seasoned and can prove that 2022 was more an anomaly.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams that lack a running threat may do it more. And if the opponent has a very porous secondary and sub par pass rush a team may line up with it more. But you are correct. In 2011 we used it effectively. But then we had more weapons than we knew what to do with.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn’t realize that Lazard took such a high number of last years Slot at 38%, which was similar to Cobb if I remember correctly. I think we will plan on using Musgrave more in that Y respect as he’s a total mismatch for LB’s and many Safeties.

Wicks is going to get some rotational snaps as that Z Receiver until he’s more seasoned and can prove that 2022 was more an anomaly.
It had to happen. Cobb, Doubs, and Watson missed time to a good degree.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wicks: 6'1", 206#, 32.4" arms
Adams: 6'1", 212#, 32.6" arms

Wicks: 4.57, 39" vert, 10'10" broad
Adams: 4.56, 39.5" vert, 10'3" broad

Wicks: 4.20 SS, 6.91 3C
Adams: 4.30 SS, 6.82 3C

Both players in college had ability to high point passes to make big plays and also struggled with drops.

Adams cleaned up the drop issues and became an elite separator at the LOS and throughout his routes.

Maybe Wicks can become a poor man's version. Or maybe he will be another J'Mon Moore.

Wicks didn't click as well in the new UVA offense, and his season was cut short. He went 57/1203/9 in 2021 in the ACC.
@dantes on a heater!

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers’ Dontayvion Wicks ranks 1st in NFL in key stat
The rookie receiver led the league in his ability to separate against man coverage, arguably the key trait teams look for in receivers

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Early reports after Wicks came off of his injury were gushing over his ability to separate. Those stats and his performance this season give us the evidence. When all healthy, the Packers are going to have the happy problem of having too many good receivers to throw to. Who would you sit? Watson, Doubs, Kraft? Obviously depends on coverage schemes but Jordan Love can't help but look forward to getting his cleats on ASAP.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Early reports after Wicks came off of his injury were gushing over his ability to separate. Those stats and his performance this season give us the evidence. When all healthy, the Packers are going to have the happy problem of having too many good receivers to throw to. Who would you sit? Watson, Doubs, Kraft? Obviously depends on coverage schemes but Jordan Love can't help but look forward to getting his cleats on ASAP.

I don't think you're setting anyone, truthfully early on looking at snap counts it was clear whom saw less and less to nearly nothing was Toure as Wicks play time grew. Folks forget just how many snaps Toure got early on in the season. Toure put up 88 snaps first four weeks and only had 139 on the WHOLE season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

You trade for Aaron Rodgers so he only relies on 1 receiver? :coffee:

As you said, this is a good "problem" to have. With all the injuries during the season, as well as rotating guys in and out, having a WR depth of 5-6 solid guys and 2 good TE's is a major plus for the offense. Months ago people were talking about wanting MLF to spend a high pick on another WR, I just don't see the need to do that in 2024. We have a stable of young, developing studs, all with contracts that will keep them in GB for another 2-3 years minimum. For once, we aren't going into a draft, needing a WR or TE! It's a refreshing change.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You trade for Aaron Rodgers so he only relies on 1 receiver? :coffee:

As you said, this is a good "problem" to have. With all the injuries during the season, as well as rotating guys in and out, having a WR depth of 5-6 solid guys and 2 good TE's is a major plus for the offense. Months ago people were talking about wanting MLF to spend a high pick on another WR, I just don't see the need to do that in 2024. We have a stable of studs, all with contracts that will keep them in GB for another 2-3 years minimum. For once, we aren't going into a draft, needing a WR or TE! It's a refreshing change.

Our guys may not have the most experience in the world but for the first time in a loooong time I can honestly say I am excited about pretty much every one of our pass catchers. Just to get them out of the way at TE Musgarve and Kraft look to be very solid hits. Our top 4 WRs IMO give reason to be excited well beyond the "they have potential" that we have been saying about a bunch of our WRs over the last several years. Even Melton and Heath to a lesser extent look much better than almost everyone we've had not named Adams over the past 5 years. I would look at WR to absolutely not be a position of need this offseason. I certainly wouldn't be looking for anyone in FA but if a highly rated prospect fell into late day two or early day three I wouldn't be upset if we grabbed him. Could you just imagine adding another Reed or Wicks to this roster

Reaction score
Wicks was an amazing surprise. Dontayvion beat Davante Adams Rookie statistical categories in every category except for targets, Adams had 66 rookie targets to Wicks 58
Wicks beat Adams Rookie in
Catches (39) YardsPerRec (14.9)
TD (4) 1stDwn (29) YPTouch 14.6

Wicks’ 10.0 per target beat Davantes career high (9.2) and ranked #10 (tied) LEAGUEWIDE splitting Deebo Samuel and DJ Moore.

Wicks’ YPReception was in between Deebo Samuel and Jaylen Waddle tied at #22 LEAGUEWIDE

Wicks had a 14.0 yard pass to Aaron Jones as a bonus. Wicks broken tackles (5) were tied for #15th place leaguewide (WR only)
Only Detroit’s Jameson Williams (24) and KC Kadarius Toney (27) had less receptions than Wicks (39) with the same 5 broken tackles (tied)

It’s pretty apparent now that his 1,203 yards for the Virginia Cavaliers in 2021 wasn’t a fluke.
For those that don’t know because it faded into the news. (my wife worked in Charlottesville her first teaching job out of College). Dontayvion Senior season was an anomaly of sorts. A group of his fellow football team players were shot and 3 of his teammates died on the Bus as they pulled into the Charlottesville University Parking garage last year (2022). I think he partly flew under the draft radar because his season was cut short as the Charlottesville Cavs canceled the remainder of that Football season.

We got us a Stud! Go Cavaliers!
GPG!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Packers’ Dontayvion Wicks ranks 1st in NFL in key stat
The rookie receiver led the league in his ability to separate against man coverage, arguably the key trait teams look for in receivers

You know what’s kinda funny? This was one of his scouting reports..

DraftBuzz:

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES​

• Does not always use his hands to secure deep throws, sometimes allowing the ball into his pads and chest.
  • He’ll have to develop a better feel for sitting down against zone coverage.
  • Wicks really isn’t a guy who will create a lot of separation especially against faster corners
Fantasy Pros:
Drops (many of the concentration variety) cropped up heavily in 2022. He dropped 23.1% of his targets which was the highest among FBS wide receivers with at least 50 targets.

In his Rookie season he finished with 5.1% drops (3 total) which is slso kinda funny. His weakness in College is his strength so far :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wicks was an amazing surprise. Dontayvion beat Davante Adams Rookie statistical categories in every category except for targets, Adams had 66 rookie targets to Wicks 58

Wicks’ 10.0 per target beat Davantes career high (9.2) and ranked #10 (tied) LEAGUEWIDE splitting Deebo Samuel and DJ Moore.

Wicks’ YPReception was in between Deebo Samuel and Jaylen Waddle tied at #22 LEAGUEWIDE

Wicks had a 14.0 yard pass to Aaron Jones as a bonus. Wicks broken tackles (5) were tied for #15th place leaguewide (WR only)
Only Detroit’s Jameson Williams (24) and KC Kadarius Toney (27) had less receptions than Wicks (39) with the same 5 broken tackles (tied)

It’s pretty apparent now that his 1,203 yards for the Virginia Cavaliers in 2021 wasn’t a fluke.
For those that don’t know because it faded into the news. (my wife worked in Charlottesville her first teaching job out of College). Dontayvion Senior season was an anomaly of sorts. A group of his fellow football team players were shot and 3 of his teammates died on the Bus as they pulled into the Charlottesville University Parking garage last year (2022). I think he partly flew under the draft radar because his season was cut short as the Charlottesville Cavs canceled the remainder of that Football season.

GPG!
Should be noted that Adams had an experienced HOF QB throwing to him and Wicks had a very talented first year starter who struggled a bit of the season and an OL that struggled as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

GPG!
Of all the rookies, Wicks might have been tops on my list for "biggest surprises". It's not often you have a late 5th round rookie WR catch on and contribute as much and as fast as he did. What makes it more impressive is that it was with a "rookie" QB.

As most of us keep saying, the needle is pointing up with this young offense.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wicks also had the major disadvantage of being hurt in training camp and missing a lot badly needed reps in preseason games. Despite that, he came on strong and got better as the season progressed. Not only does he separate well, he has a great transition from the catch to a burst of speed running with the ball. That is why he breaks tackles. He's moving fast and packs a lot of momentum (pun intended). Crazy that the Packets got him in the fifth. What a steal!

Reaction score
Of all the rookies, Wicks might have been tops on my list for "biggest surprises". It's not often you have a late 5th round rookie WR catch on and contribute as much and as fast as he did. What makes it more impressive is that it was with a "rookie" QB.

As most of us keep saying, the needle is pointing up with this young offense.
The most similar prospect I can think of is Terry McClaurin. He’s a 3rd Rounder that comes in firing like a Rd1 selection. Wicks is a 5th Rounder firing like a Rd2-3 area

McClaurin is Elite speed, good
Explosion, great size
Wicks is Good speed, Elite explosion, great size
Obviously Ohio State gets the nod, but it doesn’t erase Wicks was a steal for a 5th rounder

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should be noted that Adams had an experienced HOF QB throwing to him and Wicks had a very talented first year starter who struggled a bit of the season and an OL that struggled as well.
Untrue. I have read multiple times that the experienced HOF QB did not throw to rookies.

Members online

Latest posts