2020 Predictions: Three Guys That Will Step Up

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not think he's a bum at all. I think he has a problem with ball security and that is what brought his time to an end here, but I think he is still the type of player that can be in that 30-40 catch range and a couple TD's fairly regularly. He made some big time catches for us again last year and took some good shots doing it at times too. He just didn't stay consistent and take that next step.
There are definitely a lot of people on the board that say he is lousy. I think his problems last year are fixable and that he was played out of position most of the time. It was the typical playing the man to fit the playbook instead of playing to the man's strengths. So we will see. Not hoping he has a game winning catch against us or something that hurts us; just saying he will likely have a better statistical year than either MVS or EDS. And in general he will be a plus for detroit.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allen Lazard, Elgton Jenkins, and Jaire Alexander.

I think Lazard shows himself to be a very good #3 WR who can reliably be a short area target and solid run blocker. I think Jenkins goes from be a good guard to being one of the best in the NFL. Finally, I think Jaire finally puts together a consistent season and arrives as a top-10 CB in the league.

D

Deleted member 6794

But watching the games I saw him make bad throws. I saw him not make throws to open WRs. Even if it is 5 or 6 plays per game that he missed, that's significant. Imagine another 80 receptions distributed to GMo, MVS, and Lazard. That would make them statistically look much better. Then there is the lack of in-game leadership. Used to be nearly his greatest asset. I dont see as much anymore. I saw him glaring at the sidelines and I didnt see him encouraging his offense.

Rodgers has missed throws or open receivers when he performed at an MVP level as well, it happens with all other quarterbacks as well.

It would have been completely unrealistic to expect Rodgers to have completed an additional 80 passes last season as he would have shattered the completion percentage record for a single season in that case.

There are definitely a lot of people on the board that say he is lousy. I think his problems last year are fixable and that he was played out of position most of the time. It was the typical playing the man to fit the playbook instead of playing to the man's strengths. So we will see. Not hoping he has a game winning catch against us or something that hurts us; just saying he will likely have a better statistical year than either MVS or EDS. And in general he will be a plus for detroit.

The Packers primarily lining up Allison in the slot last season contributed to him struggling but his issues with ball security and drops were factors as well.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has missed throws or open receivers when he performed at an MVP level as well, it happens with all other quarterbacks as well.

It would have been completely unrealistic to expect Rodgers to have completed an additional 80 passes last season as he would have shattered the completion percentage record for a single season in that case.
Somewhat valid. He has always missed passes, but nothing to the degree he has last season.

So I will delete 30.

If we add 50 receptions from 25 additional throws and 25 bad throws made better we are at 68%. Not his best accuracy but back near his top level.

That still puts MVS, GMo and Lizard at around 50 rec each. Very respectable.

D

Deleted member 6794

If we add 50 receptions from 25 additional throws and 25 bad throws made better we are at 68%. Not his best accuracy but back near his top level.

That still puts MVS, GMo and Lizard at around 50 rec each. Very respectable.

There's a reason Rodgers had a passer rating of 81.95 when targeting MVS and Allison compared to 105.68 throwing to other wide receivers.

In addition if he had completed an additional 50 passes last season a majority of them would have been completed to other players than MVS or Allison.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Post-Draft I'm amending my Jamaal pick, because I feel barring a Jones injury this simply is the end of Jamaal in GB either this year or after.

I'll say Kevin King in a final year of his contract is going to play like a BEAST. His play is going to put GB in a bind deciding what to do moving forward. (HUGE caveat is this clearly is health dependent). That said I think nothing motivates a guy like that first big payday possibility.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the way with you on EQ. IMO, he could have been a huge contributor for a Packers offense that had it stuck in the mud far too often. I think he has a big 2020 season.

Two others: Savage and Sternberger. Savage because another year of seasoning. I think he becomes a huge disrupter this season. Jace moreso because we might not have any other choice. He’s going to have play big times snaps.
To make this easy, and avoid coloring outside the lines, I’m with you on these three picks. If I could only pick one, it would be EQ (okay, I guess that’s me making my own lines!).

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion the Packers absolutely need Gary and Sternberger to step up. I'm going with Reggie Begelton as a surprise pick for my third one.

Patrick could have a significant impact even with Linsley retained as soon as a starting offensive lineman is forced to miss time because of injury.
Wow Cap! Begelton is a real surprise. I admit I don’t know much about him other than he played in the CFL. Still, anything can happen with the right motivation. Expectations for him will be low and so all he can do is surprise to the upside. Hope so.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that's true some players just aren't good enough to perform at an elite level no matter what.
I’ve never been convinced that a “contract year” materially impacts a player’s performance, and an average guy suddenly becomes elite. Yeah it may add a bit of juice, but I think it has more to do with a player’s maturation in the league (coming off a rookie contract, for example). These are competitive guys by nature, and I’m not sure that can be dialed up or back. They are who they are, regardless of the contract year. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm feeling real good about Sternberger. He'll certainly have the opportunity, that's for sure.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wow Cap! Begelton is a real surprise. I admit I don’t know much about him other than he played in the CFL. Still, anything can happen with the right motivation. Expectations for him will be low and so all he can do is surprise to the upside. Hope so.

I have to admit that the Packers needing a wide receiver to step up and other players already having been mentioned in this thread were the only reasons I chose Begelton.

He put up impressive numbers in the CFL last season with 102 receptions, 1,444 yards and 10 touchdowns though.

Reaction score
Alright...before the draft as I think draftees should NOT be considered for this exercise as too easy of a prediction for many.

What three returning guys do you feel are going to exceed expectations and/or elevate their level of play in 2020?!
  • Lucas Patrick -
  • Equanimeous St. Brown -
  • Jamaal Williams -
*Honorable mention: Chandon Sullivan

EDITED Post-Draft:
Removing Jamaal Williams
We invested a 6th round pick in Kdar Hollman and I think he could’ve went as early as round 4.
He got banged up, but showed flashes. It makes sense we would up his snap count year 2 to see what he’s got. Plus, CB isn’t exactly locked up behind King and J’aire.

• EQ is the most underestimated and his name hardly is mentioned as he’s off the radar. Nobody talks about him (unless it’s to use his name to show how underwhelming we are at the position) Granted, He’s been limited at best but if he can stay on the field? He’ll finish his career 15+ yards per. He should’ve been picked top 10 Wideouts in his draft, but just about every scouting report said he’ll need time but should develop into a starting role.. teams get impatient and he slid to like the 27th WR? He’s 6’5”X216lb size and runs a 4.48X40 with 20 reps. He’s got great hands (unlike Funchess) and bonus turbo afterburners if he’s in stride he’s gone and he proved it with 5-20+ Scampers in his rookie campaign, where he was largely relegated to ST (also good at that).
He’s no slouch. He’s gonna quietly move into #4 pecking order (production) before we blink 4 times.. and watch. Suddenly all the same experts that forgot him will be trying to act like they just knew he’d be good! He’s the Micah Hyde of the Wideouts. He’s not great.. but pretty good in all facets and about the time the Azalea flower tour has ended.. . as cool weather patterns emerge.. he’s going to late bloom with the splendor of a purple Annual Heliotrope ;)

I think folks were late getting on the AJ Dillon train because we were so focused at WR or LB or whatever. He’s going to absolutely demolish some smaller players. His style isn’t to run away..but run over! then stiff arm someone for 8 more yards or toss them into one of their own players! He makes Eddie look light and he’s faster and stronger than he looks.. and very deceptive.

I only played 1 year of football in 8th grade (HB+DB). But we had a 7th grader come in from another small county school to play tailback. He was a miniature AJ Dillon at about 150lbs and his legs were huge. He was not all there mentally and you could tell he was “off”... but very fast and very strong and he looked like a Sophomore in HS. He hit the hole fast n fearless and he’s the player we all absolutely hated tackling. AJ is the NFL equivalent of that kid nobody wants to tackle when he’s full steam. They won’t admit it until they’re retired though. He may not be Henry, but he’s going to be entertaining in an ”old school” kinda way. I should know :cool:

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts