Packers reach 4 year/$96 million extension with Rashan Gary!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That's like saying the scouts are better at playing roulette than the fans. How many would argue with 'the draft is a crapshoot'? How many instances of the fans moaning about specific choices have come true (Love, Myers, et.al)? Take it further - how many fans would have worse coaches than some that the Pack has or recently jettisoned? Just because somebody gets paid to do a job does not mean they're any better than someone who does something else.
Lol, you're pretty impressed with yourself, aren't ya? I'm not.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely....he shared a story one time in the past of a guy that he scouted, and he claimed he could not shake was going to be a stud. Problem was all other scouts saw was a consistent, fighter and a label he got a lot was over achiever. He was overachieving his traits and apparent skills. This guy wasn't part of the scout team that eventually signed him...but he banged hard for his team to sign Chris Harris on Day 3 of the draft and then as an UDFA....but he was the only one that saw it. That player ended up winning a SB with Denver, going to 4 pro bowls, earned one first team and two second team All Pro and is Chris Harris. He said that was the one time his gut was spot on....but as he said his gut is wrong at least eight or so times to every one of those
My gut has only truly been right once.
TJ Watt. I'm not a professional scout. I'm just a blind squirrel.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Let's go!
After today I am not so sure about a big contract. Bahktiari, Alexander, Rodgers, Douglas. How much dead cap can we continue to afford? Well, I will say this about Gute. At least with all these young players the payroll will be coming down. I do not see anyone on the roster who is worth a long or big contract at any time soon. Maybe if our kicker Karlson who is 8-9 has 2 strong years in a row he might get a deal. What is Kenny Clark's status?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After today I am not so sure about a big contract. Bahktiari, Alexander, Rodgers, Douglas. How much dead cap can we continue to afford? Well, I will say this about Gute. At least with all these young players the payroll will be coming down. I do not see anyone on the roster who is worth a long or big contract at any time soon. Maybe if our kicker Karlson who is 8-9 has 2 strong years in a row he might get a deal. What is Kenny Clark's status?

This year, is the massive dead cap year $60M plus.....and nearly $30M injured cap....we are literally nearly to $100M in cost this year for guys that either aren't here or cannot play......sadly that doesn't even prorate the cost of Jones being out, Jaire being out also so much.

Kenny's situation actually well....honestly....I think the team was hoping to make Kenny cuttable or tradeable after this year.

While technically it would save us like 2.7M to release him after this year....no clue if we do...his cap hit balloons up to $27.5M next year...but his dead cap is just over $24M

Problem with extending him is he already has about $21M of voided money. If we released him you'd almost have to take a post June or be willing to just essentially nearly break even (under $3M saved) essentially. Wyatt truly needed to be who we thought he was and sadly at times he's been the third best front man in the trenches.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's like saying the scouts are better at playing roulette than the fans. How many would argue with 'the draft is a crapshoot'? How many instances of the fans moaning about specific choices have come true (Love, Myers, et.al)? Take it further - how many fans would have worse coaches than some that the Pack has or recently jettisoned? Just because somebody gets paid to do a job does not mean they're any better than someone who does something else.
if the draft is a complete crapshoot than why have it? Why not just assign players to teams if there is no way of knowing if they will succeed or not? It as not an exact science but risk/reward analysis with every prospect. The challenge is managing your risk and not gazing into a crystal ball. A bust is not necessarily a failure of the system but sometimes just the law of averages. I think the Justin Harrel pick was similar to the Rodgers pick. Harrell had HOF talent but an injury history. Rodgers had HOF talent but needed to change throwing motion. There was a good chance that Harrrel has injuries and Rodgers fails to change - why else did he last so long. It is easy to 2nd guess after the fact, but you have to look back at the time of the pick.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, you're pretty impressed with yourself, aren't ya? I'm not.
Didn't mean me - please point out where I implied that, and I'll edit it. Just meant that, if some of the folks here were given the resources the staff has, their track record could well be better. Again, just because scouts and coaches are getting paid doesn't mean they're doing any better than others might.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Keep your core players, of which Gary is one of those. The complementary pieces are much easier to replace. I'm slightly unnerved about the 35% guaranteed portion of the contract. I'll wait for contract details before I express disappointment of Russ Ball in that regard.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This year, is the massive dead cap year $60M plus.....and nearly $30M injured cap....we are literally nearly to $100M in cost this year for guys that either aren't here or cannot play......sadly that doesn't even prorate the cost of Jones being out, Jaire being out also so much.

Kenny's situation actually well....honestly....I think the team was hoping to make Kenny cuttable or tradeable after this year.

While technically it would save us like 2.7M to release him after this year....no clue if we do...his cap hit balloons up to $27.5M next year...but his dead cap is just over $24M

Problem with extending him is he already has about $21M of voided money. If we released him you'd almost have to take a post June or be willing to just essentially nearly break even (under $3M saved) essentially. Wyatt truly needed to be who we thought he was and sadly at times he's been the third best front man in the trenches.
Clark is someone who has been consistently on the field most of his tenure except for that cheap hit against the Ravens in 2017. I say keep him playing next year and keep trying to find someone next to him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clark is someone who has been consistently on the field most of his tenure except for that cheap hit against the Ravens in 2017. I say keep him playing next year and keep trying to find someone next to him.

It is a big increase in his hit but honestly one of the few that does that so we could afford it for one year...now we could also work on a year or two extension, slide a touch more guarantee in it to him, shove similar or same void money out....who knows.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a big increase in his hit but honestly one of the few that does that so we could afford it for one year...now we could also work on a year or two extension, slide a touch more guarantee in it to him, shove similar or same void money out....who knows.
The reason I would opt for it is also because it is not like we have 2 or 3 other strong linemen on defense. Teams that often part with one for cost can do it because of depth.