Zone blocking

axelred13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers had a total of 215 yds offense (46 rushing).

I don't think there was one bright spot.
The O line was the worst of the worst.

We averaged 341 yds/game (104 rushing) last year.

I don't know what happened between this year and last year with the line, but I do know we downgraded at RB (probably FB too).

I just hope to see some improvement in week 2.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
Its not a bad idea to draft offensive lineman in the 3rd 4th and 5th round and let them develop for a couple of years as backups or on the practice squad, learn the system and stick them in there eventually if they prove themselves.

But to draft guys ESPECIALLY THAT LATE, stick them in the lineup and expect to have any kind of a decent offense is ridiculous. Just stupid unless the goal is to kill Brett Favre or blame him for the offensive ineptitude.

Here we go again.... It's all a plot to bring down Brett Favre.

Colledge was a 2nd round pick, by the way. And you will usually get your O-linemen in the middle to late rounds, anyway. The only kind of O-lineman who's worth drafting in the 1st round, for the most part, is left tackle, and we haven't needed one of those in awhile.

It is not unusual at all to have very young O-linemen starting. It is almost necessary nowadays to some extent, because players need to be productive before their contracts get too big. You can't have an entire team of seasoned veterans, and even an entire O-line of seasoned veterans is a rarity, as it will sap the team's strength in other areas because those players take up so much salary cap space.

For Thompson and McCarthy to stick three young guys into the lineup at the same time is more than would be expected, but is really not that far out of line. Let's hope they begin to gel this year.

Reaction score
I don't think there was one bright spot.

Really? How about:

B-Jack's two longest receptions?

The RB's being assignment sure?

On two separate occasions, our "slow" WRs Ruvell Martin and James Jones had a step or two on their defenders?

The O-line being assignment sure (that is to say the execution of blocking was bad, but there were no mistakes or miscommunication between the o-line about which man each lineman was responsible for)?

Donald Driver looking like the injury wasn't hampering him?

Bubba Franks showing more than we have seen from him the last 2 years combined?

There were a few positives, but our execution was down right abysmal.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol this reminds me of 1967,

Week 1: Close game and tie against the Lions 17 - 17,

our offensive line was outplayed all day and our offense couldn't do jack..

and we picked up an unknown backup from the Giants in hope of finding a RB.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
Greg C. said:
For Thompson and McCarthy to stick three young guys into the lineup at the same time is more than would be expected

Talk about an understatement.

I don't think it's an understatement. Two in one year would not be unusual at all. Three is a bit much, but considering that they were starting a new blocking scheme, which required different players, and that there was no depth on the O-line to begin with (partly Sherman's fault, partly Thompson's), I thought it made sense. Last year was a year of transition. If Thompson picked the right guys and McCarthy coaches them right, they should get better every year.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. We're really throwing the "0" line under the bus here aren't we? I have said in other threads that I thought this was the worse game I have seen out of Tausher and Clifton in years, but hey, it was one game.

And Philly ain't no slouch.

Even last year with the line being so young they would rebound from a bad game and play much better the next week out. Offensive linemen traditionally improve more in their second year than in any year they are in the league.

We win a game against a great defensive team and you want a whole new offensive line AND scheme to go with it.

Chill a minute. My lord.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
Fuzznuts said:
We don't have the right horses up front to drive block effectively in my opinion.. to me we are married to it for this year at least... IMO.

Its not a bad idea to draft offensive lineman in the 3rd 4th and 5th round and let them develop for a couple of years as backups or on the practice squad, learn the system and stick them in there eventually if they prove themselves.

But to draft guys ESPECIALLY THAT LATE, stick them in the lineup and expect to have any kind of a decent offense is ridiculous. Just stupid unless the goal is to kill Brett Favre or blame him for the offensive ineptitude.

What are you talking about? TT actually took Colledge in the 2nd, Sptiz in the 3rd and Moll in the 5th. LOWER round wise than you called for.

Look. When TT got here the center of our offensive line was in critical condition. Flanny was suffering, Rivera was hobbling around and both he and Wahle were shopping for a bigger check.

In the previous FIVE years no offensive linemen were drafted, or, not until a late, late round other than Wells. So we had a SITUATION and we had no contingency plan what so ever.

While that situation was critical the defense was near death and there are only so many picks to go around. EVERYONE on this forum was looking at guards that were out there and it has been a postition that has not been loaded in FA. Especially with the swap to the ZBS.

Our offensive line situation was destined for change whether the cause be age, injury, or financial consideration. I feel we came thru that transition very well. ONE LOUSY game not withstanding.

Every team comes out of the box each year with issues that need to be cleaned up. I am much less stressed about our "0" line being able to hold up than I was last year at this time when we had a defensive backfield that couldn't guard anybody.

Reaction score
lol this reminds me of 1967,

Week 1: Close game and tie against the Lions 17 - 17,

our offensive line was outplayed all day and our offense couldn't do jack..

and we picked up an unknown backup from the Giants in hope of finding a RB.

You know, Pro Football Weekly has a report saying that the Packers think Ryan Grant can be a player with them, and a source within the team called the guy a "stallion", with his size and 4.30 40-yard speed.

How awesome would it be if Grant turned out to be our #1 RB this year? :shock:

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
Pack93z said:
Fuzznuts said:
We don't have the right horses up front to drive block effectively in my opinion.. to me we are married to it for this year at least... IMO.

What are you talking about? TT actually took Colledge in the 2nd, Sptiz in the 3rd and Moll in the 5th. LOWER round wise than you called for.

Look. When TT got here the center of our offensive line was in critical condition. Flanny was suffering, Rivera was hobbling around and both he and Wahle were shopping for a bigger check.

In the previous FIVE years no offensive linemen were drafted, or, not until a late, late round other than Wells. So we had a SITUATION and we had no contingency plan what so ever.

While that situation was critical the defense was near death and there are only so many picks to go around. EVERYONE on this forum was looking at guards that were out there and it has been a postition that has not been loaded in FA. Especially with the swap to the ZBS.

Our offensive line situation was destined for change whether the cause be age, injury, or financial consideration. I feel we came thru that transition very well. ONE LOUSY game not withstanding.

Every team comes out of the box each year with issues that need to be cleaned up. I am much less stressed about our "0" line being able to hold up than I was last year at this time when we had a defensive backfield that couldn't guard anybody.

i mean really ... how many times do we have to lay this out warhawk. youd think at least one hater would see the light huh.

you bring up a great point too. it was week one... i mean every team has kinks in week one they gotta deal with. HELL san diego didnt have over 70 rushing yards between 2 backs.... thats a big big problem for them too.
bottom line is.... the team did well to beat a team that has owned us for 6 years. all while dealing with week 1 kinks.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I mean i am hopeful that they come through it, its just hard to watch Brett have to run for his life at 38 years old and watch our running backs get stuffed in the backfield. I feel like Mgmt. could have possibly prevented this from happening and im a little upset thats all. Maybe we could have taken a stud o-lineman in the first round this year instead of Harrell who was inactive sunday. I mean, our d-line is loaded, we dont need the guy anyway. he will not be a significant upgrade at the position unless he is the reincarnation of Warren Sapp.

I watch everyone else get major weapons, C. Johnson, A. Peterson, G. Olson, not to mention our loss of Javon and the fact that Moss should be here. There were so many good running backs in free agency and we get B. Jackson. He might be good but honestly, guys like him are a dime a dozen. If we were not packer fans we'd be like "Brandon who" or "load up on the pass this week".

Just hard to watch mgmt. waste a year when we have a very good defense and a very capable Favre

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

I mean i am hopeful that they come through it, its just hard to watch Brett have to run for his life at 38 years old and watch our running backs get stuffed in the backfield. I feel like Mgmt. could have possibly prevented this from happening and im a little upset thats all. Maybe we could have taken a stud o-lineman in the first round this year instead of Harrell who was inactive sunday. I mean, our d-line is loaded, we dont need the guy anyway. he will not be a significant upgrade at the position unless he is the reincarnation of Warren Sapp.

I watch everyone else get major weapons, C. Johnson, A. Peterson, G. Olson, not to mention our loss of Javon and the fact that Moss should be he :roll: re. There were so many good running backs in free agency and we get B. Jackson. He might be good but honestly, guys like him are a dime a dozen. If we were not packer fans we'd be like "Brandon who" or "load up on the pass this week".

Just hard to watch mgmt. waste a year when we have a very good defense and a very capable Favre

sigh :roll:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
warhawk said:

I watch everyone else get major weapons, C. Johnson, A. Peterson, G. Olson, not to mention our loss of Javon and the fact that Moss should be he :roll: re. There were so many good running backs in free agency and we get B. Jackson. He might be good but honestly, guys like him are a dime a dozen. If we were not packer fans we'd be like "Brandon who" or "load up on the pass this week".

sigh :roll:
double sigh :roll:

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish people around here would stop *****in' about players that we don't have anymore or were never here in the first place.

For every one of those we have five players that were:

1)Drafted and contributes greatly.

2)Signed as a free agent.

3) Became a free agent but we were successful in resigning.

4) Great players for us that we extended and don't have to worry about.

A little reality check. NO TEAM KEEPS ALL THEIR GREAT PLAYERS.

IF TT could have turned this thing around any faster with all of the holes on this roster he should be nominated for President of the U.S., Pope of the Catholic Church, and, ahead of Einstein on the list of genius'.

You ought to be thanking the guy for putting a team on the field that could even compete with a team like Philly in the short time he's held the job because I got to tell ya the Eagles could have eaten us for lunch and puked us out for dinner two years ago.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Colts are an example of a team who drafts players and plays them right away. In fact they were the 3rd youngest team in football last year next to the Packers and I believe Titans.

Playing rookies is not a bad thing. In fact the more these guys play together, the better they will be in the future and even the very next week.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts