Zone blocking

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
It has been proven to work when proper technique is used.. which this week we didn't do at all... I stated in another thread that watching the game... the blocking scheme looked like a combination of drive blocking and zone together.. problem is drive blocking kind of blows up the theory within the ZBS... in zone, basically you want to "immobilize" you man and allow the running to pick the natural lanes... in drive you want to create a specific lane by moving the dline out...

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How long have we been trying to institute this new blocking scheme?

Seems to me Sherman had a better blocking scheme in place when he was here.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts said:
We don't have the right horses up front to drive block effectively in my opinion.. to me we are married to it for this year at least... IMO.

Its not a bad idea to draft offensive lineman in the 3rd 4th and 5th round and let them develop for a couple of years as backups or on the practice squad, learn the system and stick them in there eventually if they prove themselves.

But to draft guys ESPECIALLY THAT LATE, stick them in the lineup and expect to have any kind of a decent offense is ridiculous. Just stupid unless the goal is to kill Brett Favre or blame him for the offensive ineptitude.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree.

This is where the concept of FREE AGENCY comes in.

Maybe someone should alert TT that this is a new thing in the NFL that he can take advantage of.

Pack93z

Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
Fuzznuts said:
We don't have the right horses up front to drive block effectively in my opinion.. to me we are married to it for this year at least... IMO.

Its not a bad idea to draft offensive lineman in the 3rd 4th and 5th round and let them develop for a couple of years as backups or on the practice squad, learn the system and stick them in there eventually if they prove themselves.

But to draft guys ESPECIALLY THAT LATE, stick them in the lineup and expect to have any kind of a decent offense is ridiculous. Just stupid unless the goal is to kill Brett Favre or blame him for the offensive ineptitude.

Remember Tauscher was a 7th whom started right away.. so was Timmerman during the superbowl years... it is not unheard of to have lineman stepup and play right away..

Would it have been nice to keep Wahle here.. yes it would have, no doubt. But we didn't have the luxury of having record increases in cap those years. In 05' the increase was minimal.. we were cap tight... couldn't keep them.

With the money average to below average guards are getting the past two offseason.. one cannot say we should have signed one... sorry that is insane...

IMO... we should have some veterans experience all over on the offense.. but we don't... plus even our Veteran tackles struggled this past week... so that leads to either it was the opposition that was puzzling to the Packers or we lacked the coaching to be ready for it.

Remember.. this is Campen's first year running the line by himself.. he came from playing all drive blocking in his career.. plus we didn't practice nor employ any of this in the preseason.. which I think looking back might have been an error... give it another week or two... if we are still struggling in week 4 or after then start yiping..

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
Pack93z said:
Fuzznuts said:

Remember Tauscher was a 7th whom started right away.. so was Timmerman during the superbowl years... it is not unheard of to have lineman stepup and play right away..

Would it have been nice to keep Wahle here.. yes it would have, no doubt. But we didn't have the luxury of having record increases in cap those years. In 05' the increase was minimal.. we were cap tight... couldn't keep them.

With the money average to below average guards are getting the past two offseason.. one cannot say we should have signed one... sorry that is insane...

IMO... we should have some veterans experience all over on the offense.. but we don't... plus even our Veteran tackles struggled this past week... so that leads to either it was the opposition that was puzzling to the Packers or we lacked the coaching to be ready for it.

Remember.. this is Campen's first year running the line by himself.. he came from playing all drive blocking in his career.. plus we didn't practice nor employ any of this in the preseason.. which I think looking back might have been an error... give it another week or two... if we are still struggling in week 4 or after then start yiping..

You say its Campens first year. Honestly man, that can not be an excuse at this level. This aint highschool football. Either you know what you're doing or you dont. You say Campen has a drive blocking background. Well, why would we hire him for ZBS then. You say we didnt practice or employ it in the preseason!!! Does this make any sense? Isnt that when we are supposed to practice these things? Am i the only one who doesnt get it?

Yea Timmerman, Wahl, etc. Its great when things work out for you but its not the norm. If you have 4 experienced lineman around you, its ok to stick a rookie in there, but correct me if im wrong, 4 of our 5 starters had 0 - 2 years of experience last year. You can have a rookie guard when Frank Winters is your starting center.

I'll give them a couple weeks, i mean im hoping for the best. Just doesnt look too optimistic. Hope im wrong.

Go packers

Reaction score

Pack93z, if I am not mistaken I remember the OL coach from Sherman's era recommending Campen to McCarthy because he had experience in the scheme McCarthy wanted to run.

Which, if true, makes the struggles all the more confusing. If Campen had experience, we shouldn't have played as bad as we did. If he doesn't, then Beightol wasn't telling the truth, which F'd us over to a certain degree.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say give it a couple games. Plus Morency being in there may help quite a bit. Jackson is a rookie, and just learning the ropes. If Herron hadn't got hurt it would have been better i believe too.
Give it a few more shots before throwing it out. Besides, it's not like the Eagles D was a bunch of slackers. Maybe against NY we may run quite well.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is NO ZBS in pass blocking..just regular good old pass blocking...and the OL couldn't even do that. I'm not sure why everybody on the OL was so badly over-matched but they were. If they don't rebound strongly againest the Giants, we're in REAL trouble the rest of the year, IMO. It doesn't get any easier from here on out. I guess I'm most disappointed in Tauscher. It's so unlike him not to quietly carry out his assignments especially in pass blocking. My hope is that the OL is feeling more embarressment in their performance than we are and will react accordingly. If not, lord help us!

Pack93z

Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Pack93z, if I am not mistaken I remember the OL coach from Sherman's era recommending Campen to McCarthy because he had experience in the scheme McCarthy wanted to run.

Which, if true, makes the struggles all the more confusing. If Campen had experience, we shouldn't have played as bad as we did. If he doesn't, then Beightol wasn't telling the truth, which F'd us over to a certain degree.

Joined Packers Feb. 27, 2004, as assistant offensive line/quality control; promoted by Mike McCarthy to assistant offensive line coach, Jan. 17, 2006, and to offensive line coach Jan. 15, 2007.

Coached nine seasons in the high school ranks before returning to Green Bay in 2004.

When he was hired he was brought aboard in the days of Sherman's and Rosserly's drive system.. where it was more up front and physical drive blocks and alot of pulling traps.... using more size and braun than technique.. Campen was a player that played with leverage during his days... much like the man that took over after him.. Frankie bag of Doughnuts... Just getter done...

I think 06 was the first year that he was exposed to zone system... I don't know, I might be way off base, but to me it looked like we were playing way to high in the stance and trying to out muscle the Eagles.. which would be move likely of the normal counters and traps play every convention system utilizes.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it time to rethink the zone blocking scheme??

Oh yah..Smart move. Lets just throw off our O-line even more and change the system. That is genious. And not only that after only one week!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NO WAY!!

This would make the offensive line even worse. As mention we just don't have the personal to play any other blocking scheme. Colledge and Spitz would get ran over if it was man to man. In Colledge's case, he just doesn't have the brute strength to play guard in that type of blocking scheme. Maybe at tackle he could do alright.

I think if they make a change they would need to bring Colston in at Guard for sure. In fact I kind of hope they make that move sooner rather than later with Colston. I think he is out playing Spitz at the moment.

Changing the scheme after one game would really look poorly.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IGHPack said:
Is it time to rethink the zone blocking scheme??

Oh yah..Smart move. Lets just throw off our O-line even more and change the system. That is genious. And not only that after only one week!

...and a week where we won. Wonder what we would need to change if we lost. Probably QB. Favre was only 3 out of four falling down with a 320lb. guy on his back.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre was only 3 out of four falling down with a 320lb. guy on his back.

:lol: Awesome. No, we can't change the ZBS right now, and we didn't commit nearly enough to the run vs. the Eagles. It comes down to commitment and execution. Hopefully we see something better vs. NYG.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol, no.

Does this thread actually exist? Didn't Ahman get 1000+ last year in the ZB scheme?

Zero2Cool said:
So, we lost?

You'd think so.

Is 1000 yards some magical number?? Nobody would confuse last seasons packers as a good running team.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts