Zone Blocking? Maybe I am wrong

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But does not Zone Blocking favor a scrambling QB. Seems to me that Zones tend to not emphasize Pocket Passing. Maybe I am way off base just a thought.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
JbShell said:
But does not Zone Blocking favor a scrambling QB. Seems to me that Zones tend to not emphasize Pocket Passing. Maybe I am way off base just a thought.

Well, I do see M. Vick running all the time lol

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it might be percieved that way because the two zone blocking teams have scrambling quarterbacks but it may not necessarily be the case. Schaub is a pocket passer and when he was playing he did very well without scrambling.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're not wrong JB, but I wouldn't call it bootlegging necessarily. I think roll out passes and moving pockets are natural plays in that blocking scheme.

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok thanks I am just not familar with the offense at all so it will be a learning curve with me as well.

Anyonee familar if Arod was a pocket guy or a running thrower

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AROD is most definetly a pocket passer, decent speed i guess for a qb(maybe not these days) but not necessarily a great scrambler and therefore not great at thinking and reacting on the run

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me chime in since I am familiar from coaching for the last 8 years.

Technically zone blocking would not really support one over the other.

Zone blocking is basically Double teaming the point of attack, with the non-playside chop blocking. Thats the simplest explanation of it.

Basically, The O-Lineman can be more agressive because he has help if the Def. guy would try to crash inside. Upon double teaming the O-Lineman will work in unison to help oneor the other gain complete control of the block and then he will usually scrape off to block a LB.

The big plays will come from cutbacks to the non-playside as you are basically forming a wall on the playside and taking the non-playside off their feet.

As far as QB's go you do not have to use Zone Blocking on passing downs. If you want to you will go with a Zone-Lock scheme in which you will put your emphasis on the DE first. If the DE crashes in the OT will first stop that penetration and pass him off to the guard and then watch for any twists in the Def. in which he will block the edges.

I guess if you have a fast, sprinting QB an advantage could be gained on the corners but only slightly. It really depends on what scheme the Def. runs on any given play

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:

You know what you just did? You brought up the point to why the Pack might want Young. Atlanta used a zone blocking scheme and Vick is a scrambler and Green Bay is running it with former Atlanta Offensive line coach Jeff J (I'm not going to try to spell that). Maybe he feels a dual threat QB like Young is what the Pack need. or maybe not..

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't think young is a dual threat though. just like vick, he's one-dimensional... no one is afraid of his arm. hate to say it but that's what made daunte so good in minnesota (not last year of course) when he had moss. defenders know that they had to respect that daunte could throw the ball deep and wherever it went, moss would get it. on the other hand, if you put too many guys deep, daunte would run for 20 yards, no problem. vince is not in this situation... first we have no moss type player that will grab jump balls, and young's deep ball is absolute ****. he's a short yardage passer (which, to be fair, is good for west coast offense), but one of the things that make the west coast O work is the ability of the quarterback to go deep to keep the defense honest.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Young is garbage.... hes slower than Vick, doesnt have the cannon arm vick has, and doesnt have the wonderlic of a fifth grade special ed class.

if he isnt as good as Vick then why would we want him... Vick isnt doing great in the NFL so far....hes doing ok not great. but young wouldnt last a minute.... any defensive coordinator with half a brain will put a spy on him like Carolina does to Vick every year and make him hurt you with his passes. and from his pro day to actual game film, his arm and throwing motion is pure garbage.... he played on a good team and was a good leader, thats it. in the pro day work outs ... coaches said his short to medium passes lacked zip and were half *** accurate. as if he kind of took those passes less serious. GARBAGE

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Let me chime in since I am familiar from coaching for the last 8 years.

Technically zone blocking would not really support one over the other.

Zone blocking is basically Double teaming the point of attack, with the non-playside chop blocking. Thats the simplest explanation of it.

Basically, The O-Lineman can be more agressive because he has help if the Def. guy would try to crash inside. Upon double teaming the O-Lineman will work in unison to help oneor the other gain complete control of the block and then he will usually scrape off to block a LB.

The big plays will come from cutbacks to the non-playside as you are basically forming a wall on the playside and taking the non-playside off their feet.

As far as QB's go you do not have to use Zone Blocking on passing downs. If you want to you will go with a Zone-Lock scheme in which you will put your emphasis on the DE first. If the DE crashes in the OT will first stop that penetration and pass him off to the guard and then watch for any twists in the Def. in which he will block the edges.

I guess if you have a fast, sprinting QB an advantage could be gained on the corners but only slightly. It really depends on what scheme the Def. runs on any given play

Thanks pyledriver, I needed this explanation !!!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is why teams call Denver "dirty"..

Because off all of the "chop blocks" and "crap backs" that they do...!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
i don't think young is a dual threat though. just like vick, he's one-dimensional... no one is afraid of his arm. hate to say it but that's what made daunte so good in minnesota (not last year of course) when he had moss. defenders know that they had to respect that daunte could throw the ball deep and wherever it went, moss would get it. on the other hand, if you put too many guys deep, daunte would run for 20 yards, no problem. vince is not in this situation... first we have no moss type player that will grab jump balls, and young's deep ball is absolute ****. he's a short yardage passer (which, to be fair, is good for west coast offense), but one of the things that make the west coast O work is the ability of the quarterback to go deep to keep the defense honest.

Young is a much better passer than Vick coming out. Young is also getting higher grades as a prospect coming out.

Did you watch the Ohio State game? Young won the game with his arm. The USC game says it all with his legs. He's def a dual threat QB. He's more like Cunningham then Vick. Now there's always a chance he could be a bust. There's a chance with every prospect but Young and Vick don't compare like people think.

Young has better passing numbers coming out.
Young is bigger.
Young is .2 slower.
Young is stronger.
Young is more athletic.
Young is more accurate.

Vick has the speed and arm strength on him.

His stats

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/footba ... index.html

3rd in passing efficiency..
18th in passing yards.
Add his rushing he's 3rd ahead of Leinart.
11th in TD's passes
Add his rushing and he's 2nd or 3rd I believe.
National Champion
Completed 65.2 pct of his passes.
Avg. more yards per attempt than Leinart and Cutler. 4th in the Nation.
Threw only 10 INT's. Cutler had 9 and Leinart had 8.
Best Trait he has more poise than any QB in the Draft

Now I'm not sure how those numbers stack up to Rodgers' in college but I'm willing to bet their much better and truth be told Texas won the National Title because of Vince Young All those numbers that are concerned with the arm blow Vicks out.

So he's proven he more than capable of being a dual threat QB and this post was also directed to the other post that said Young is garbage. Young's main concerns are his drop back ability in a pro style offense. His wonderlic (though he took advance level classes at a tough school and Marino scored the same score as him) If that’s too much of a concern for you then you have every right to bash GB to even consider taking him. To me it’s not much of a concern.

If Green Bay passes on him it's for other needs or BPA with Mario Williams. It's not because we have Aaron Rodgers already, in my opinion.

Do I think the Pack will take Young? Probably not.. Do I think he would be a bad pick? No QB in round 1 is never a bad pick in today’s NFL. Do I think GB should take him? Probably Not. Would I be shocked if they did take him? Not one bit knowing Ted Thompson.

I think Young is the 4th option for TT.

I think his priorities and this is just a guess.

1. Mario Williams
2. Trade Down
3. AJ Hawk
4. Vince Young

That would be my guess.. I'm not ranting Young will be the next big thing in the NFL. I'm ranting in saying he's done everything great in college and for some reason he gets compared to someone who's no where near the caliber of a prospect he was coming out. I'm talking about the Mike Vick comparisons which just aren't there if you know the Draft.

Sorry for the length of this.. lol.. :lol: :shock:

Members online

Latest posts