Your Top Underrated Packers Of All Time

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who would make your list of Packers who--for whatever reason--have not received the attention their play deserved? Try not to select players who are already in the Packers Hall Of Fame, or have received a lot of formal accolades, etc.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going with Edgar Bennett. He wasn't a pro bowl player but helped lead GB to it's first super bowl in 30 years. Yes he was losing his spot to Levens in 96 and tore his achilles in 97, but he was a running back with heart and talent. I suppose that if you toss on his coaching contributions in recent years, it makes you appreciate his contributions even more.

From the same era, you rarely hear talk about Don Beebe. That guy was the Wes Welker of his time with Favre and the Packers. He was a very good possession receiver that really filled a need during the SB years.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my list. Goes back further than the modern era most remember.

Johnny Holland
John Anderson
Mike Douglas
Robert Brown
Lionel Aldridge
Gilbert Brown
Johnny Gray
Mark Lee
Robert Brooks
Earl Dotson
Greg Koch
Paul Coffman
Lynn ****ey

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure most of the people already listed are in the packers hall of fame

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
William Henderson. He's not necessarily underrated in the sense that people don't appreciate him. But I do believe he's underrated because he was one of the very best if not THE best lead-blocking FB in NFL history and not very many people recognize that.

If you want someone who was generally under-appreciated, then I would go with Ed West. He wasn't the quickest TE in the world but he had excellent hands and blocked like an extra tackle. He was also a real handful to take down after the catch.

OP
OP
gwh11

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bill Lueck (1968-1974) was a fine guard who took over for Jerry Kramer.
Brian Williams (1995-2000) was a fast, talented linebacker who could've been a star if injuries hadn't taken their toll on him.
Karl Swanke (1980-1986) was a good tackle (and center) in the early '80s.
I also thought of the dependable George Koonce (1992-1999), another underrated linebacker.
How about John Jurkovic (1991-1995), who developed into something of a fan favorite at DT?

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Chuck "Scud" Cecil. A player from a bygone era when they really hit in the NFL. He was fun to watch when the Packers weren't always fun to watch.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Underrated with nicknames:
The Toolbox
Bag O'' Doughnuts
The Majik Man
The Roadrunner
The Stork
The Gravedigger
Fuzzy
Hawg

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd go back to the early Lombardi days... Ron Kramer TE. Back when tight ends had a much different role than today. To have a great running attack it took more than Hornung, Taylor, Gregg, and Ringo. It took a powerful TE who could block at the line and downfield. We've had some good TE's who could stretch the field and put up numbers, but none since then who could drive like a Mac Truck. RIP RK. If you ever see an offense that puts up 180-220 yards rushing each week you'd see why.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd go back to the early Lombardi days... Ron Kramer TE. Back when tight ends had a much different role than today. To have a great running attack it took more than Hornung, Taylor, Gregg, and Ringo. It took a powerful TE who could block at the line and downfield. We've had some good TE's who could stretch the field and put up numbers, but none since then who could drive like a Mac Truck. RIP RK. If you ever see an offense that puts up 180-220 yards rushing each week you'd see why.

Yes, I agree. The Power Sweep can not function at all without a strong blocking tightend. Very underrated.

Packy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Terdell Middleton-He was the running back that put some respectability into Packers woeful running game of the late 70s...
Ken Payne-before the Packers had a James Lofton, this guy caught everything!
Tom Flynn-underrated safety and a ball hawk.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts